Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Gold jewelry, 4 big silver coins, CW eagle button

Posted by Digs_alot 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Gold jewelry, 4 big silver coins, CW eagle button
September 23, 2017 06:04PM
Although the very good finds were spread out over the last 8 months of hunting, they were well worth it.
My favorite beach produced small broken gold jewelry (11 inch coil). The spring tides produced (with the 17 inch coil) my 4th Morgan dollar (1899-s), 2 Barber half dollars (both 1901-s), and my 3rd seated half dollar (a very worn 1857-s). I also got my 1st Civil War army eagle button out in the extreme low tide zone. Its condition was so good that when I dug it up, I was sure it was a modern button. But in the past, that location produced most of my oldest silver coins, dating from 1859 up to the 1870s, including an 1876 inscribed gold ring.
Did some detecting at my favorite park. The knee-high wheat-like grass caused the 17 inch coil to float around 4 inches above the ground. The 1st target dug that day was a weak signal that turned out to be a 10k gold 1982 class ring. That made the entire day. After that, must have dug every pull tab from then on.

Above are the gold finds. The small amethyst part and the broken gold ring on the right were found near the upper-middle tide line a couple of meters apart on the same day. A couple of weeks later, found the larger amethyst part in the same area.
Hoping to find the jewelry that was the source of the 14k amethyst parts (possibly Victorian era mourning jewelry), did a thorough search of the adjacent area in extreme low tide zone during the spring tides. Instead, found 3 silver halves and silver dollar.
The broken signet ring was found in the rocky area. Unfortunately, old 9k and 10k jewelry becomes quite brittle in seawater over time. It broke while in my finds pouch.

Air-tested with:
11 coil
Auto-sensitivity = 16
Noise Cancel #11
ID = inner diameter (in millimeters)
Rings air-tested with ring parallel to coil, unless otherwise noted

carat ID   grams depth  FE-CO  max depth description
14k   ----  .78   .75"  12-02    2"      small amethyst stone part
14k   ---- 1.75  2"     12-05    4"      larger amethyst stone part
 9k   ----  .88   .75"  12-01    1.5"    broken signet ring
10k   ---- 1.29   .75"  12-01    1.5"    broken ring missing stone
10k   17   7.45  4"     12-25    9"      1982 class ring

Here are photos of the gold jewelry before and after cleaning.

Here are the coins before cleaning. The condition of the silver coins found at the beach are almost always determined by the location where they were found.
Ultrasonic cleaning loosened up most of the ‘crusty’ corrosion layer on the 2 Barber half dollars and the Morgan dollar.

Here are the after cleaning photos.
Buffalo nickels: 1935, 1917-s
Half dollars: 1857-s, two 1901-s
Morgan dollar: 1899-s
Mercury dimes: 1942-d, 1941-d, 1917-d, 1919-d, 1938-s, 1923
Roosevelt dimes: 1957-d, 1953-s, 1956-d, 1954, an extremely corroded/worn dime, 1959-d
Quarters: 1958-d, 1943, 1937

Above are photos of mixed finds.
Civil War era Army Eagle button, 1917-s buffalo nickel, below the nickel is a jade-like figure with writing/symbols on both sides.
A comparative photo of previously found naval eagle buttons, both found at my favorite park in the same area, but at different times. I believe they are Civil War era Marine Corps buttons (Scovill MF’G Co. ?Waterbury).
Two silver pendants.

Silver jewelry before cleaning.

Front and back of the buffalo nickel and big silver coins. Both 1901-s half dollars still have stubborn crusty corrosion stuck on parts of both coins. Some of the other finds are in the bottom photo.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
Re: Gold jewelry, 4 big silver coins, CW eagle button
September 23, 2017 06:06PM
Very Nice! Still lookin' for a Morgan and Seated Half.
September 23, 2017 06:26PM
Nice haul Digs_alot thumbs down

Some cool stuff in there!
September 23, 2017 08:59PM
Great finds! Thanks for sharing your story.

Dean
September 23, 2017 09:32PM
Fabulous finds & cleaning (fab shots)
I recently found a few older silver coins rusty like your 1901 Barber half.
Could you please expand a wee bit on the 'ultrasonic clean', method and can you recommend a particular model to buy?"
Thanks in advance.
Des D
September 23, 2017 09:47PM
((( This is better than reading a magazine article! )))
September 23, 2017 11:15PM
VERY VERY nice, Digs_alot! THANK YOU for sharing!

Impressive!

Steve
September 23, 2017 11:57PM
A great selection of silver, and nice to see the before and after shots.
It would be good to know what method / product you used to clean up the silver chains, if you could, please.
September 24, 2017 04:30PM
Fantastic collection of finds digs_alot. Very impressive. Great photos as well. Thanks for spending the time to put that together and posting. Appreciated.

Gonebeepin'

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
September 24, 2017 04:42PM
Excellent finds and as always great Pictures!!

Your broken ring's speaks volumes of your detecting prowess

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
September 24, 2017 08:29PM
Digs_alot good post and nice job on all the photos and background info thumbs down

I'll likely be doing a fair bit of beach detecting in HMB this fall/winter/spring, who knows, I may well run into you one of these days smiling smiley

hh,
Brian
September 24, 2017 11:41PM
Des D Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fabulous finds & cleaning (fab shots)
> I recently found a few older silver coins rusty li
> ke your 1901 Barber half.
> Could you please expand a wee bit on the 'ultrason
> ic clean', method and can you recommend a particul
> ar model to buy?"
> Thanks in advance.
> Des D

Here’s a site that describes ultrasonic cleaning.

[en.wikipedia.org]

I purchased a GemOro SparkleSpa ultrasonic cleaner years ago from KellyCodectectors.com primarily to clean dirt encrusted jewelry finds.
It’s a 35 watt, 42khz cleaner with a 600ml steel tank, but only runs 3 minutes at a time. This is okay for dirt encrusted jewelry, which usually requires less than 30 minutes of run time.
But salt water corroded silver coins can take a lot longer. It can take several hours of run time to break up encrusted corrosion on silver coins. This means you have to have the cleaner nearby for hours to restart it after each 3 minute run time. Also have to periodically check the water level because of the increased evaporation rate when ultrasonic cleaning. Sometimes, periodic electrolysis can help loosen up stubborn corrosion patches on coins, assisting ultrasonic cleaning.
I wouldn’t recommend using ultrasonic cleaning on copper coins with a patina. It can break up the smooth patina leaving a pitted coin.
As for recommending an ultrasonic cleaner, it will depend on your needs and budget. What size tank you require, how much power in watts, longer runtime, etc.
September 25, 2017 12:03AM
Pimento Wrote:
> A great selection of silver, and nice to see the b
> efore and after shots.
> It would be good to know what method / product you
> used to clean up the silver chains, if you could,
> please.

Electrolysis works pretty good removing thin layers of corrosion from silver coins and jewelry. Then a baking soda/water paste rubdown helps to further remove some of the discoloration. Then a brief run in a coin tumbler with aquarium gravel, water, and a little dishwashing liquid will bring out the shine. The more time in the tumbler, the shinier the results.

There are several sites that describe the electrolysis process in detail. If you use an ac/dc adapter, make sure you don’t short the two electrodes together. I’ve destroyed several ac adapters in the past. Now I use a 2amp/6amp 12 volt battery charger, which is probably too much current.

E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
September 25, 2017 12:09AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Very Nice! Still lookin' for a Morgan and Seated H
> alf.

Thanks.
A Seated dollar is still high on my list.
Surprisingly, after all these years, still haven’t got a Peace dollar.