Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Hopefully, this will settle this(Minelab EQ and FBS).

Posted by Beyonder-Pa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Hopefully, this will settle this(Minelab EQ and FBS).
September 25, 2017 04:13PM
There seems to be MANY users across multiple forums PINING for the EQ to have FBS, well according to the information(unconfirmed) that I have come across, it has FBS in multi freq.
Re: Hopefully, this will settle this(Minelab EQ and FBS).
September 25, 2017 05:35PM
Now, am I crazy or what,,,how would unconfirmed information settle any arguments, questions, wishful thinking or whatever???

Sounds like pure old speculation to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2017 05:37PM by Sod-buster.
September 25, 2017 07:00PM
Sod-buster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now, am I crazy or what,,,how would unconfirmed in
> formation settle any arguments, questions, wishful
> thinking or whatever???
>
> Sounds like pure old speculation to me.

I got it from a source, but I am working and I don't have time to find it.
September 25, 2017 07:42PM
Far too much speculation. No facts.
Someone should've taken a sniffer pickup coil and a laptop as a data-recorder along to Detectival, then we'd know the waveform. But the only folks who would do that are rival manufacturers, and they aren't going to tell the world what the've found.
Maybe in a few months, when production units get into the hands of enthusiasts, we'll have an answer.
I'm not buying one .....however, if anyone on here who has purchased one wants to do a little science experiment, I can offer assistance.
September 25, 2017 09:28PM
A little O-scope investigation would end all speculation!
I'm not buying either till I see one in operation!
September 26, 2017 01:25AM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> There seems to be MANY users across multiple forum
> s PINING for the EQ to have FBS, well according to
> the information(unconfirmed) that I have come acro
> ss, it has FBS in multi freq.

Beyonder-Pa -- I am one of the ones that have been "pining" for this. However, I not seen even a HINT of this, elsewhere, and in fact have seen some (albeit not terribly detailed) information from Minelab that would seem to refute this.

Here is some info on Multi-IQ from Minelab, taken from the November issue of The Searcher, in response to the a question about FBS/BBS and Multi-IQ...

How is Multi-IQ different from BBS/FBS?

Multi-IQ uses a different group of fundamental frequencies than BBS or FBS to generate a wide-band multi-frequency transmission signal that is more
sensitive to high-frequency targets and slightly less sensitive to low-frequency targets. Multi-IQ uses the latest high-speed processor(s) and advanced
digital filtering techniques for a much faster recovery speed than BBS or FBS technologies. Multi-IQ copes with saltwater and beach conditions just as
well as BBS/BFS, however BBS/FBS still have an advantage for finding high-conductive silver coins in all conditions.

That does NOT sound, to me, like Multi-IQ is FBS...

Steve

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2017 01:31AM by steveg.
September 26, 2017 04:06AM
This is where I got the info from. At 10:46 this gentleman is explaining the freqs. Listen and tell me what you think.

[www.youtube.com]
September 26, 2017 04:46AM
What I heard from that video around the 10:46 mark was that he said you can choose single frequencies, 5, 10, 15, whatever, and then -- when you choose multi-frequency, it's "not just the single frequencies, it's the full band..."

But, by "full band," I don't think he was referring to "full band" as in FBS. All he seemed to me to be saying was that this is not a "multi-frequency detector" simply from the perspective that you can "choose from among several different, single transmit frequencies;" instead, it's a detector with the ability to run SIMULTANEOUS multi-frequencies, meaning you can run not only single 5, 10, or 15 kHz on the Equinox 600, you can also run that "full band" of 5, 10, or 15 kHz, simultaneously, when you choose the multi-frequency option.

However "FBS," and "simultaneous multi-frequency" are not synonyms, of course...FBS is a different technology, from all I can tell, from Multi-IQ. BOTH technologies transmit multiple different frequencies simultaneously, but beyond that, there are other differences, it would seem -- differences which may include shape of the wave being transmitted (sine wave versus square or rectangular wave), as well as the processing of the received signals, behind the scenes, within the software.

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2017 05:22AM by steveg.
September 26, 2017 05:03AM
steveg Wrote:
>BBS/FBS still have an advantage for finding high-conductive silver coins in all conditions.
>
That tells me all I need to know. Any thoughts of this inexpensive machine being better than an Etrac or CTX were apparently just wishful thinking.
September 26, 2017 02:20PM
"But, by "full band," I don't think he was referring to "full band" as in FBS."

"Think", that's the critical word in that sentence. We don't know. Earlier in the video, there is a very tight lipped response about releasing that information. I don't think it will be BBS or FBS(according to Brandon.) but, it would be nice just to keep the cries for "Gimmie FBS in everything!!!" down to a dull roar.

As for the video, He said, " it's "not just the single frequencies, it's the full band". In other words it's not just 5,10,15,20, and 40, It's the full band There is no such thing as a multi freq that runs only a single freq so it has to mean full band of individual freqs.
September 26, 2017 02:32PM
Bayard Wrote:
> steveg Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >BBS/FBS still have an advantage for finding high-
> conductive silver coins in all conditions.
> >
> That tells me all I need to know. Any thoughts of
> this inexpensive machine being better than an Etra
> c or CTX were apparently just wishful thinking.

but keep in mind that it could be within 85-90% of CTX depth potential on deep silver for a much lower price and light weight.
It will be interesting to see side by side videos on 'real' in ground (ie prior to digging) targets to see how much it lacks.
I agree that it would have to be engineered to NOT be as deep or ID as well as the CTX.
I sold my etrac and then my ctx after exhausting my 'old' sites to the point of no longer producing....and became a jewellry/clad hunter, sigh....
Equinox looks to be a fun detector to play around with (and for a longer time due to the weight, lol).
The real test for me will be taking it to these sites and seeing what turns up (and if it can find Canadian loonies/toonies, lol)...
I almost bought the 705 a few times but always balked due to the coil prices.
Equinox has me sold....and I'll get one with a free pro-find 35 (might have to wait a bit for this incentive)
along with a 15% discount via DD-214 (Vietnam vet)....so very, very good deal IMHO....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2017 02:40PM by canslawhero.
September 26, 2017 03:38PM
Pimento Wrote:
> Far too much speculation. No facts.
> Someone should've taken a sniffer pickup coil and
> a laptop as a data-recorder along to Detectival, t
> hen we'd know the waveform. But the only folks who
> would do that are rival manufacturers, and they ar
> en't going to tell the world what the've found.
> Maybe in a few months, when production units get i
> nto the hands of enthusiasts, we'll have an answer
> .
> I'm not buying one .....however, if anyone on here
> who has purchased one wants to do a little science
> experiment, I can offer assistance.

I think Whites has said that bbs machines were a two frequency based on one of those tests.
September 26, 2017 04:11PM
Correct, there's globally many forum threads on the BBS/FBS subject, including a thread on here:
[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Sadly it's now lost some image attachments, making it less informative.
However, it uses alternate bursts of 1 cycle of 3.125kHz then 8 cycles of 25kHz. Which is where you should take note of ML's statement that Multi-IQ is continuous multi-frequency. Hence it's not BBS/FBS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2017 05:06PM by Pimento.
September 26, 2017 04:38PM
Bayard Wrote:
> steveg Wrote:
> -----
> >BBS/FBS still have an advantage for finding high-
> conductive silver coins in all conditions.
> >
> That tells me all I need to know. Any thoughts of
> this inexpensive machine being better than an Etra
> c or CTX were apparently just wishful thinking.

Minelab said "more sensitive to high frequencies targets, and slightly less sensitive to low frequency targets."

Minelab also stated that Multi-IQ has three advantages:

[*] Increased target ID accuracy
[*] Reduced noise levels for all ground types
[*] Faster recovery speed

It's hard to quantify "slightly" but we'll find out once they come out. I'm sure one of the more requested tests will be to see the NOX vs the CTX, now that will be interesting to watch! For most of the detecting I do, absolute depth isn't going to put a lot more keepers in my pouch, but with the benefit of the HF modes with ultra fast recovery speeds, the NOX800 it should work well in iron and do very well at unmasking, that'll give me more keepers then ultimate depth.
September 26, 2017 04:50PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Bayard Wrote:
> -----
> > steveg Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> > -----
> > >BBS/FBS still have an advantage for finding hig
> h-
> > conductive silver coins in all conditions.
> > >
> > That tells me all I need to know. Any thoughts
> of
> > this inexpensive machine being better than an Et
> ra
> > c or CTX were apparently just wishful thinking.
>
> Minelab said "more sensitive to high frequencies t
> argets, and slightly[
> /b] less sensitive to low frequency targets."
>
> Minelab also stated that Multi-IQ has three advant
> ages:
>
> [*] Increased target ID accuracy
> [*] Reduced noise levels for all ground types
> [*] Faster recovery speed
>
> It's hard to quantify "slightly" but we'll find ou
> t once they come out. I'm sure one of the more r
> equested tests will be to see the NOX vs the CTX,
> now that will be interesting to watch! For most
> of the detecting I do, absolute depth isn't going
> to put a lot more keepers in my pouch, but with th
> e benefit of the HF modes with ultra fast recovery
> speeds, the NOX800 it should work well in iron and
> do very well at unmasking, that'll give me more ke
> epers then ultimate depth.

well put Cobra, it should be noted that processor power vs cost has increased tremendously since the CTX was introduced so it makes sense
considering that Minelab mentions those 3 bullet points. My regret is that it won't allow user-upgradable firmware for improvements/fixes, but even
if it were available updates most likely wouldn't be available, lol
September 26, 2017 05:18PM
canslawhero Wrote:

>
> well put Cobra, it should be noted that processor
> power vs cost has increased tremendously since the
> CTX was introduced so it makes sense
> considering that Minelab mentions those 3 bullet p
> oints. My regret is that it won't allow user-upgra
> dable firmware for improvements/fixes, but even
> if it were available updates most likely wouldn't
> be available, lol

I think Minelab said in one of the videos it had a USB port, so maybe it'll be user upgradable?

Minelab seems to be skittish on giving users the ability to self upgrade for bug fixes, stability enhancements, and potentially new features. Not sure why, that's a good selling feature.

Imagine if you bought a new computer, but you could never upgrade it (Tom you can upgrade yours spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I've heard a lot of CTX users complain that ML made that promise with the CTX and it never really came to fruition (what one upgrade in 5 years?).
September 26, 2017 05:23PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> canslawhero Wrote:
>
> >
> > well put Cobra, it should be noted that processo
> r
> > power vs cost has increased tremendously since t
> he
> > CTX was introduced so it makes sense
> > considering that Minelab mentions those 3 bullet
> p
> > oints. My regret is that it won't allow user-upg
> ra
> > dable firmware for improvements/fixes, but even
> > if it were available updates most likely wouldn'
> t
> > be available, lol
>
>
> I think Minelab said in one of the videos it had a
> USB port, so maybe it'll be user upgradable?
>
> Minelab seems to be skittish on giving users the a
> bility to self upgrade for bug fixes, stability en
> hancements, and potentially new features. Not sur
> e why, that's a good selling feature.
>
> Imagine if you bought a new computer, but you coul
> d never upgrade it (Tom you can upgr
> ade yours spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I've heard a lot of CTX users com
> plain that ML made that promise with the CTX and i
> t never really came to fruition (what one upgrade
> in 5 years?).

Actually updatable through the magnetic port on the back(confirmed).
September 26, 2017 05:27PM
I wish they could shrink the ctx to be like the nox with a trigger pinpoint.
I think they would sell a ton of those my arm gets tired to fast swinging the ctx.
September 27, 2017 02:01AM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> "But, by "full band," I don't think he w
> as referring to "full band" as in FBS."

>
> "Think", that's the critical word in that sentence
> . We don't know. Earlier in the video, there is a
> very tight lipped response about releasing that in
> formation. I don't think it will be BBS or FBS(acc
> ording to Brandon.) but, it would be nice just to
> keep the cries for "Gimmie FBS in everything!!!" d
> own to a dull roar.
>
> As for the video, He said, " it's "not just the si
> ngle frequencies, it's the full band". In other wo
> rds it's not just 5,10,15,20, and 40, It's the fu
> ll band There is no such thing as a multi freq tha
> t runs only a single freq so it has to mean full b
> and of individual freqs.

Beyonder, I totally agree with you that the "multi-frequency" option, when selected on the Equinox, will transmit some grouping, or band, of individual frequencies, simultaneously. We agree here; maybe I just wasn't making that clear. Seems like we may not be totally understanding each other, sort of "two ships passing in the night," but I'm not sure where exactly we may be missing each other.

What I'm trying to say is, some folks would call a "multi-frequency" machine one that allows you to choose different, single frequencies to transmit/detect with. In other words, an example might be a machine with a toggle switch of 5 kHz and 15 kHz -- you can run 5, or switch it and run 15, and thus it is a "multi-frequency" machine. The Equinox is this type of machine, BUT, it's more. It includes Multi-IQ, and according to Minelab Multi-IQ technology allows SIMULTANEOUS multi-frequency, which you and I both agree means that you can run several individual frequencies all at once, a "band" of frequencies.

My only point was that, again, "simultaneous multi-frequency" and "FBS" are not synonyms. FBS is a specific type of "simultaneous multi-frequency technology;" BBS is a specific type of "simultaneous multi-frequency technology," and now, Multi-IQ is apparently a "new, specific type" of "simultaneous multi-frequency technology." Is it similar to FBS and/or BBS? Possibly; like you say, we just don't know at this point. But, I think it is fair to say that it is NOT simply FBS being re-packaged under a different name. I have seen, if I am not mistaken, EXPLICIT statements that this is a "new type" of technology (and Pimento hinted at this as well, above). Will it be better than FBS or BBS? Possibly, for some applications. But Minelab is apparently telling us ahead of time that it won't be "quite as good," in a silver-coin-hunting application. So -- while I am waiting with an open mind and somewhat high hopes to see what this Multi-IQ technology CAN do, I still would love to see performance that meets or exceeds FBS on silver coins. I'll try to keep it down to a "dull roar," though! winking smiley

Finally, one more thought. I have seen some folks, here and elsewhere, say that Minelab might SPECIFICALLY make this $899 machine "less hot" on deep coins, so as not to challenge the $2500 CTX, and possibly hurt CTX sales. In other words, like they produced a very HOT technology, in Multi-IQ, but would, to use an analogy, need to put some type of "governor" or "restrictor" on it to purposely "hinder" its ability and keep it a "mid-range" performer. For those who think, or have implied this, my take is that this is not at all why I perceive the statement that it is a machine that "will be a little better when hunting low conductors, vs. high conductors." Instead of "purposely hindering" the machine on deep silver, I think it's more reflective of the tradeoff between using low frequencies and high frequencies. With FBS utilizing 3.125 kHz as one of its xmit frequencies, and Multi-IQ capable of no lower than 5 kHz (apparently), this is probably part of the reason there. As I understand it, when you are trying to deal with ground minerals, and achieve some unmasking capability, there is a tradeoff there, as the frequencies which do best at one, are hindered a bit on the other end (depth, and resonance with high conductors). So, I think it's less Minelab trying to "hinder" the deep-silver-finding ability of the Equinox so as to "not threaten" the CTX, but more that their focus on a fast, unmasking machine good for small, low conductors RESULTS IN a machine not quite as hot on deep high conductors...

Steve

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2017 02:18AM by steveg.
September 27, 2017 03:24AM
steveg Wrote:
> But, I think it is fair to say that it is NOT simply FBS being re-packaged under a different name.

Would you believe that FBS is just BBS repackaged under a different name? Why would it be unfair to do it again?
September 27, 2017 04:56AM
Geotech Wrote:
> steveg Wrote:
> > But, I think it is fair to say that it is NOT si
> mply FBS being re-packaged under a different name.
>
> Would you believe that FBS is just BBS repackaged
> under a different name? Why would it be unfair to
> do it again?

Geotech --

Coming from you, I will put 100% faith in what you just said. Wow. I did not know that.

BUT -- my reason for saying "fair to say" that FBS is not being repackaged and just given a new name, is that I thought I had understood Minelab to have said that "Multi-IQ" is "different, new technology."

What I'm saying is, if they had released a new, fancy machine, and said that it uses "Multi-IQ multi-frequency technology," period, and said nothing else, then I could easily see where it would be at least possible that that's just fancy schmancy marketing -- just "re-naming" FBS or BBS as something else, to SOUND new, and hoping therefore that buyers ASSUME it's something totally new. BUT, if they SPECIFICALLY say that they have developed a new, different technology, and with there having been a (possibly related, not positive) patent application released regarding some "new technology," by Minelab, my guess was that this is why Multi-IQ is not simply FBS or BBS, renamed. Again, not that a company WOULDN'T at times take older technology, and give it a new name so as to make it APPEAR to be something different, but I wouldn't expect Minelab to specifically say it's "new, different technology" if in fact it is just re-branding/re-naming something they released long ago...

But, I could be wrong in my speculation, of course...

Steve

EDITED TO ADD -- IF Multi-IQ were to prove to be just FBS, renamed, I have to say that as an FBS user who LOVES what FBS is capable of in terms of deep coin hunting, I would be thrilled if this is the case. A fast, waterproof, wireless, affordable machine geared toward splendid unmasking in iron, hot on low conductors, capable of being run on the beach OR in the park, AND ALSO -- capable of running "like an Explorer or E-Trac" when switched into multi? Too good to be true!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2017 05:07AM by steveg.
September 27, 2017 12:44PM
The engineer said in a video that it is user updatable....
September 27, 2017 02:29PM
WOW! Welcome back Carl!

(IMO)

Some realization of what we are talking about is needed in order to proceed. From all the information I have gathered over the years and my life experiences and schooling, Here is what may be all these technologies from Minelab.

First was BBS. BBS stands for "broad band spectrum". It is a selection of a broad range frequencies running simultaneously. Example:

3.0 khz AND 3.5 khz AND 4.0 khz AND 4.5 khz

This provides good target resolution.

Then there was FBS which is "full band spectrum". It is full range frequencies running simultaneously. Example:

3.000 khz 3.001 khz 3.002 khz and the way up to 3.999 khz.

This provides great target resolution.

Now Multi-iq could be using a set of full band freqs(5.000 khz 5.001 khz and so on. also 10.000khz 10.001khz and so on.) using the 3-5 freqs that the units come with.

There is much more to it than that, but that is just an example.

My personal opinion, I don't want FBS in my EQ. I want something better. Who knows this may be better.
September 27, 2017 03:44PM
"My personal opinion...."and 100% incorrect, too.

Please stop all this uninformed speculation, and wait until someone's got their engineering hands on one.
September 27, 2017 03:59PM
Pimento Wrote:
> "My personal opinion...."and 1
> 00% incorrect, too.
>
> Please stop all this uninformed speculation, and w
> ait until someone's got their engineering hands on
> one.

Gee I thought I had a right to express myself here. I can see that bullies like yourself push people away from these forums.
September 27, 2017 04:25PM
The problem is not that what you think is wrong, it's that you're posting in an authoritive way, telling others your incorrect information. And on top of that, it's already been stated quite clearly, more than once in this thread, what BBS/FBS do.... including in my second post (#132298), where I linked to an entire thread about the subject, going into some considerable detail, (including what all the noise-cancel shifted frequencies were), and included a short resume of the threads findings.

You have to ignore ML's "creative marketing" information. It doesn't tell you what the machine/technology do.
September 27, 2017 04:28PM
steveg Wrote:
> BUT -- my reason for saying "fair to say" that FBS is not being repackaged and just given a new name,
> is that I thought I had understood Minelab to have said that "Multi-IQ" is "different, new technology."

Yup, and they also said that BBS is 17 frequencies and FBS is 28 frequencies. Yet they are both the exact same 2 frequencies.

Minelab has some really good engineers, but they're nowhere near as good as their marketing dept.
September 27, 2017 07:18PM
Geotech Wrote:
> steveg Wrote:
> -----
> > BUT -- my reason for saying "fair to say" that F
> BS is not being repackaged and just given a new na
> me,
> > is that I thought I had understood Minelab to ha
> ve said that "Multi-IQ" is "different, new technol
> ogy."
>
> Yup, and they also said that BBS is 17 frequencies
> and FBS is 28 frequencies. Yet they are both the e
> xact same 2 frequencies.
>
> Minelab has some really good engineers, but they'r
> e nowhere near as good as their marketing dept.

I concur................
September 28, 2017 12:31AM
Geotech Wrote:
> steveg Wrote:
> -----
> > BUT -- my reason for saying "fair to say" that F
> BS is not being repackaged and just given a new na
> me,
> > is that I thought I had understood Minelab to ha
> ve said that "Multi-IQ" is "different, new technol
> ogy."
>
> Yup, and they also said that BBS is 17 frequencies
> and FBS is 28 frequencies. Yet they are both the e
> xact same 2 frequencies.
>
> Minelab has some really good engineers, but they'r
> e nowhere near as good as their marketing dept.

LOL smiling smiley

One thing I will say, though, is while you are probably right, I do believe that good marketing will -- eventually -- be exposed as just that, and nothing more, IF the underlying product is not proven by customers to perform well, over time. You can get by on creative (or even false) marketing for awhile, initially, but if your product doesn't have the "goods" to back up the "boasts," eventually people will learn that -- and ultimately lose faith in both the product, AND the producer of the product.

From that perspective, I KNOW Minelab machines perform -- and perform very well -- in the applications I use them for. And as such, I am usually willing to place a bit more faith in what they say in their marketing, than I might with some "company B," that had not earned my trust. That said, there's still a sort of "caveat emptor," "trust but verify" aspect to that...

I would LOVE to understand this all better, in terms of frequencies, and how many frequencies, etc. I know you do, Carl. I wish I could find someone with the patience to translate this all in a language that I could grasp (given my lack of much background education in electronics, but background in another scientific discipline).

I've heard some of the "FBS is really two frequencies," that you mentioned, but I also have heard another side of the argument, that there is some sort of "technicality" there where Minelab takes the two frequencies and somehow "exploits" or divides them in some way (or something), harmonics or something, such that in the end, it's somewhat a semantic argument as to whether it's really two frequencies, or many frequencies. I'm sure reading what I just said makes you laugh, Carl, as it was probably a horrible butchering of the truth, and I probably sound like an idiot to someone with knowledge of electronics, but in any case...I'd love to understand better. I'm going to go re-read all the stuff Pimento linked (I read some of it years ago, but need to do so again, and see if I can grasp any more of it)...

IN THE MEAN TIME, back to Multi-IQ; if FBS and BBS used, at least at their core, the exact same two frequencies (which would be 3.125 and 25, according to Pimento?), then I assume Multi-IQ IS different, in some way -- based on an assumption that the frequencies used in Multi-IQ would seem likely to be (I'm speculating) some form of the 5 kHz, 10 kHz, 15 kHz, etc. frequencies that can be selected individually on the Equinox, no?

Steve

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2017 01:40AM by steveg.
September 28, 2017 01:32AM
Carl........ It really means a lot to us when you (Fisher/FTP) are here 'clarifying' and debunking Minelab.................. their target....... and their electronic intent.

A sincere: KUDO's!