Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Coil test on my CZ-3D

Posted by go-rebels 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Coil test on my CZ-3D
December 04, 2011 11:10PM
When I run my 3D @ sensitivity 4.5-5.0 I'll get a false signal if I tap the suspended coil with a wooden dowel. If I tap the box, or the connector at the box, I get no falsing. I get the same false if I bump the coil against my foot when hunting. I get no falsing by brushing the coil on the ground. I get no falsing at sensitivities <4.

Can someone repeat this test with their 3D and tell me if it falses?

If the consensus is 'no' then I'd like to purchase another clean used 8" coil from a forum member. Just PM me.

Thanks in advance!
Re: Coil test on my CZ-3D
December 05, 2011 01:34PM
Have no CZ3D to test but used a lot of CZ's over the years and never had that problem.

At 4 will it sound off if bumped against your foot?

Optimum sens. I believe is 4.8 on most CZ3D's however I run my CZ's a tad high and they do have some falsing but just lower it and quiet as a mouse.In other words put up an occasional false signal equates to a tad more depth.

In any case I don't believe it should sound off when bumped and might try borrowing a coil from a local dealer, clubmember as that would be a sure way to tell if perhaps the windings of your coil are perhaps damaged.

Lets hear it from a fellow member or two that has a CZ3D and let him know if your coil sounds off when bumped.

Hate to see him get a coil if he doesn't need one..
December 05, 2011 02:51PM
At 4.0 it will rarely false but at 4.5 it will nearly always false with a sharp, light tap. A soft bump will never produce a false, at any setting, so I can still hunt over clean ground. Tom said he had a few extra validated coils so I'll just send it to him for his review.
December 05, 2011 03:31PM
Dan, what do you consider the max sens on a CZ-5?
December 05, 2011 03:51PM
Actually CZ5 or any other conventional CZ not a CZ3D which has different sens. parameters I have ran them at 8 but never could find an area where I could go higher..My feeling as high as you can while keeping a reasonably
stable unit..As I stated in an aforementioned post if in a real old area where you know there are exceptional deep coins may even run it a tad higher where the unit does occasionally false as it seems to give me that little bit extra to grab that 10-12 inch silver dime. Do remember this is in my neck of the woods and have heard of fellow detectorists running them at 10....or for that matter lowering them to 3 or so on a salt water beach and still getting nice depth while running with a stable unit....
December 06, 2011 01:39PM
Take your coil off of your CZ and hold it in the air and twist it back and forth and see if you get the falsing .....This will eliminate a bad connection in the control box .......I tell you to do this because I am in belief that the problem that the AT Pro's had with the falsing was all a coil issue .....and Tom was speaking of coils that are not properly sealed giving off a falsing tone that will show it's colors when the sensitivity is higher ...... Most guys noticed when they sent their AT Pro's into Garrett that they came back with a different coil which would substaciate what I am saying .......This may not be your issue at all , but it's worth looking into .... Just something more for you to ponder .....The AT Pro BEFORE the fix would false when you bumped into something , when you changed direction sharply, or when scuffing the ground ..... When fixed it would exhibit NONE of these problems ......Jim
December 06, 2011 04:26PM
Mine doesn't. Sounds like a coil or cable issue. Make sure your cable is secure on the shaft. Nylon bolt and nut, Have you tried your bump test in all 3 modes? Auto tune, disc and pinpoint.... that should tell you for sure.

Keep in mind about any stray metal... like shoe eyelets, steel toes etc.. will false your machine if close enough.
December 06, 2011 05:40PM
Good idea; I'll try again in all three modes.

I haven't tested the coil off the shaft but I'll try that next. The coil does not false when scuffing the ground nor when changing directions quickly, even at high sensitivities.
December 07, 2011 05:00AM
I found that the falsing would occur any time I flexed the cable near the strain relief. When I reinstalled the cable, and tightly wrapped it at the bottom of the shaft with the velcro strap, the falsing was significantly reduced.

Again, I'll let Tom look at it and pitch it at his discretion.
December 07, 2011 08:28PM
Hey Go,

Yup... sounds like the shielding. I am actually looking for a broken cz coil to dissect. I will send you a $20 bill for you or Tom to ship it to me.

/PB
December 08, 2011 04:01PM
We have a deal, but first I need to purchase a good used 8" coil. I was planning to purchase one from Tom but I shouldn't assume that he has a spare to sell to me. As he has stated, he isn't a repair shop.

So... does anyone have a spare 8" they are willing to sell to me? Else I need to call Kellyco.

(Still, can someone test their 8" coil on their CZ for me? Run @ sensitivity = 5, remove the Velcro strap and flex the coil wire just above the plastic strain relief nut.)
December 08, 2011 09:36PM
I tried all my different size coils for you and they don't false. Unfortunately I don't have an extra to let go of. Where is Christoper Ohio...? He usually has a bunch of spares. Start a new topic "WTB CZ 8" Coil". That should get you some attention.

There is a small chance the problem is outside of the coil housing in the first inch or two of the wire. If you or a buddy are handy with small electronics and soldering you may be able to fix it. The pigtail can unscrew to the housing possibly exposing the issue to be repaired. However it would be no longer waterproof.

I am interested in the remains ether way. I am going to tear it open. Thx

If you have to go the retail route.... Check with sponsors on other forums, mention you are a forum member and they generally will give you a better than advertised deal. Most often you need to contact them via PM through that forum. Tom may have an "in" for you as well.

/PB
December 09, 2011 02:02AM
Thanks Bob,

Can the solder joints be reached with the strain relief nut removed?
December 09, 2011 12:30PM
Just got a response from Christopher-Ohio... he sold all his CZ stuff a while back. :-(

So I'm still looking for a good 8" coil unless I can repair the solder connections on my coil. I haven't pulled the strain relief nut yet, pending my question above.
December 10, 2011 05:06AM
Hi Go,

Strange... I replied to your message yesterday but it didn't appear on the forum.

No, all the solder points are in the housing except for the connector at the detector end.

The manufacturer does their best to relieve strain on the coax at the coil but coax just was not meant to be bent sharply or constantly flexed. Unscrewing the pigtail will allow a little more movement of the wire and you may be able to pinpoint the problem to inside the housing or outside. Don't be surprised if the problem gets worse or even goes away. Sometimes it is the compression of that seal on the wire that is the problem area.

/PB
December 10, 2011 11:46AM
Thanks Bob.

I'll play with the compression fitting later today and let you know what I find.