Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Wonder if the folks out west have these in this condition

Posted by Sod-buster 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Wonder if the folks out west have these in this condition
October 01, 2017 03:05PM
Take a look at this nail.
Been buried a while.

This is exactly what I have been hunting in with Deus HF coils.

Notice the stuff on the nail.
It is according to my magnet actually nonferrous, but looking at and chipping at it,,it has a rust component to it.
Since this stuff attached to nail is nonferous it seems, does this mean it is not still a masker of sorts?
I think not.

Can assist in blinding detector.
Thought I would share.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2017 03:09PM by Sod-buster.
Re: Wonder if the folks out west have these in this condition
October 01, 2017 03:35PM
I am certainly no expert, however I have found a similar problem. From what I have gathered, when iron is buried a while, the rust that emanates from the corrosion creates what is called an iron oxide "halo" in the soil around the object which can be seen by our detectors and actually tells it that it is looking at a larger, more rounded object. It is my understanding that some of these "smart" machines look for round signatures, not just by their metallurgy and can mistake these "halos" for better targets. Usually my Fisher CZ5 will "tell on" these nails and such by doing a sweep again at 90 degrees. If the tone changes at all as I swing over in multiple directions, I can almost guarantee that it's a nail. But if it's really rusty like that, the CZ5 will think it's a target as I swing over in all directions, sometimes with a high, "dig me" tone, which means I too dig up a few more rusty nails than I wish to!
October 01, 2017 06:07PM
Ive hunted out west...... ya they have a lot of rusty nails, mostly OLDER ones. Ive hunted the old spanish mine areas ...... tons of rust over the ages from prospectors. They also hav a lot of magnetite and hematite (hot rocks). Lot of issues also comes from using to much sensitivity.... which causes wrap around on those nails causing the high tones.

Dew
October 02, 2017 02:53AM
I'm in NorCal..often I could reuse our square nails, if I wanted to. Depends on soil condition, how old,etc
October 02, 2017 03:13AM
deathray Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm in NorCal..often I could reuse our square nail
> s, if I wanted to. Depends on soil condition, how
> old,etc

When I lived in Tuscon, it would always amaze me to see 60s and 70s models autos where the sun had burnt the paint and primer off of.
Yet these autos had little to no rust.

I have heard the folks back east, out west is where they have gotten some nice older collectible autos to restore.

The same year autos here in Tn, rust buckets and worse, holes or big areas rotted off.

Another specimen I retrieved this afternoon from the site.
Didn't find another half dime. Lol

October 02, 2017 03:34AM
That latest specimen looks a lot like what I dig when chasing deep silver, Sod-buster... smiling smiley

Steve
October 03, 2017 12:37AM
These the first ones you've ever dug ??

that's oxide on the nails making them fat.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
October 03, 2017 12:46AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> These the first ones you've ever dug ??
>
> that's oxide on the nails making them fat.
>
> Keith

Lol
No, have dug quite a few. Site is loaded with them.

I posted so maybe some newbies could see, and be thinking.....
And maybe some of our western USA friends would comment.

Wish their was a way to NOT dig them occassionally.
You find a way, let me know.
October 03, 2017 12:53AM
pinpointing is the best bet ..

I just dig them usually 90 degree ones though..then the site has to be worthy of it.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
October 03, 2017 01:05AM
Here's what I usually dig.
Hard to get around these.

October 04, 2017 12:26AM
Yup definitely have those out west. I've found them at every site I've ever been to. I've found them at sites that hardly see any rain. More common in sites that see more precip