Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Is it necessary

Posted by markg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Is it necessary
January 05, 2012 06:56PM
Is it necessary to have a true all metal function on a new metal detector?
Re: Is it necessary
January 06, 2012 01:51AM
Yes. Some people want to find everything like relic hunters. And if you discriminate too much iron will mask out a lot of good targets.
January 06, 2012 10:12AM
Yes. I am much more likely to buy a detector with a true all metal mode then one without it. A treshold based GB all metal mode.

You can use it for many things. The most important thing is that you will feel confident that you have the correct GB for your site.

Ground Balance to some difficult rocks in your area.is no problem when you need it.

Take out the extra depth when you need in some clean areas.

Sizing objects.

Determine ferrous signatures with wider then coil signal.

Opposite-determine nonferrous with less then coil size signals.

Determine the amount of small metal objects in the area that will become silent masking in the disc mode.

The US manufactuers are far ahead both minelab and XP and C scope when it comes to all metal modes so please keep it that way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2012 10:14AM by frnifo.
January 06, 2012 12:07PM
I guess I should reveal all my motive for information.

I'm in the process of choosing from either the AT PRO or AT GOLD for shallow water hunting and as a back up machine when needed to my Etrac. I know the Etrac is not good on the small gold and either of the mentioned would be good for that. But I also have the Fisher LTD, which is a great machine, but struggles in my ground. Well anyway that is my motive. AT PRO does not have a true all metal mode, but the GOLD does.
January 06, 2012 04:22PM
Previous posters answered your original question quite well and personally would think the AT gold might be the better choice in your situation.

Two reasons I think Garrett learned a lot getting the kinks out of the AT pro leading to them offering the AT gold and
its just going to be more sensitive to small gold jewelry such as earrings, thin chains etc.as with the price of gold water hunting is at its peak and you want to get the ones the others miss..
January 08, 2012 01:24PM
I'd love to have some feed back from the guys that know. Good or bad I'm open.
Markg
January 09, 2012 12:28AM
i do not understand why you only want to consider those two.

how small of gold do u expect to find in the water, or how small do you want to find?

you do hunt salt water right ?

<")))))<>(
Re: Markg
January 09, 2012 12:41AM
The reason I'm considering these two are the cost.
Second I only salt water hunt one week a year.
I presently have the Etrac and LTD.
Looking for a water proof machine with tones since that is what I'm used to.
Not looking for nugget, just any and all small gold items that might have been lost 100+ years ago on some local baptizing holes and some of the local tot lots where I've found gold in the past.

gravediggermax Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i do not understand why you only want to consider
> those two.
>
> how small of gold do u expect to find in the
> water, or how small do you want to find?
>
> you do hunt salt water right ?
January 10, 2012 12:14AM
The AT Gold is not for salt water hunting. Garrett say this on page 54 of the owners manual.
So leave it at home on your vacation.

Because the AT Gold is optimized to find small gold pieces,
saltwater use in not recommended for this detector. Its ability
to find small gold makes it equally reactive to the conductivity
of saltwater. This detector's ground balance adjustment is
optimized to provide the greatest resolution in the normal
ground range and is not designed to address saltwater. The AT
Gold will, however, perform well for hunting coins and jewelry on
dry sand beach areas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2012 12:16AM by goodmore.
January 10, 2012 11:58AM
goodmore
The AT Gold will, however, perform well for hunting coins and jewelry on dry sand beach areas.

A lightweight, newer Fisher would then be my choice, maybe even a F75 with the big white coil to maximize coverage. That 15 incher is surprisingly sensitive to small targets. Just keep it dry!
January 10, 2012 03:14PM
The 15" coil is waterproof.
January 10, 2012 06:35PM
Keith made a post on here somewhere recently.... i think he preferred the Pro. I kind of see what Max is asking.... are you trying to find raw gold or tiny studs? I dont know about your fresh water spots or their ability to produce..... but if you were beach/salt water hunting id say spend the extra money just because unlike dirt digging you will be selling most of your finds with gold prices the way they are. You may not get the tiny tiny gold with your Etrac.... but on the day/wet sand i do pretty well using the Exp SE. In fresh water you may be dealing with a lot of tiny trash also.

Dew
January 10, 2012 07:41PM
I presently have and use the Fisher LTD and the Etrac. I will not venture into the water over 2-3 inches with either. I'm afraid.
That is why I'm looking for a good water machine that I could also use on dry ground too.
The LTD does not do well in many place where I hunt. EMI and ground minerals make for a very unplesant hunt, that is why I use the
Etrac in these areas.
January 11, 2012 06:15AM
lots of responses to your question but not many answers. IMO the AT Gold is a better choice than the AT Pro ,for hunting gold jewelry in fresh water. It has a smaller coil that likes gold and is easier to pin point with in the water.
January 11, 2012 01:26PM
The 'waterproof' requirement ...... leaves very few options.