Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

1950's drive-in yields...a LARGE CENT????

Posted by Beyonder-Pa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
1950's drive-in yields...a LARGE CENT????
October 16, 2017 02:58PM
For years, my father wanted to hit a drive-in but we needed permission. He finally got it.

The place is a mess, with scrap metal everywhere and lots of vegetation. I got a few obvious scrap metal targets due the the overload on my CTX but the next signal comes in at a 12-44, 12-46. I dig down about 4 inches and retrieve a dark gray disc a bit bigger and thicker than a quarter. Given the area, I was thinking may be a token, but I had the feeling it was a largie. Next I dug a clad dime and only a half-hour at the site, a surprise visit from the owner(who doesn't really know us). He comes to me first, I know he had to be the owner when he got out of his truck(my detective skills at work smiling smiley ).

After some small chit-chat and he seems like a nice guy, my father comes over and then...the owner puts us to work??? He had us detecting for property markers for about an hour. I tried to explain there are easier ways to find them than just trial and error. He finally understood what I was saying and let us get back to metal detecting. After the owner followed me around for 15 minutes, he said he will be back.

I found about a dozen coins(all late 60's to 80's) my lucky father(who is really making me look bad this year) found two silver dimes 1962 and 63 and a 1945 quarter. We were about to wrap it up and the owner had us locate one more property marker before we left. i secured permission for next week so we will see how that goes.

I am glad we secured permission, because the owner said he chased a guy out of there before who was walking his dog. He has cameras watching the place.

The large cent(only second one I ever found) is toasted, but I know that it is the draped bust variety but I cant get a date off it. So how did it get there? I think it was farmland before it was a drive-in.
Re: 1950's drive-in yields...a LARGE CENT????
October 16, 2017 03:27PM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
So how did it get
> there? ....

"How did it get there? " Well, I see you're from Pennsylvania PA, right ? Then ... as we all know .... you east coast guys are tripping over LC's, colonial coppers, busts, etc.... in every sand box. So there's your answer. Any other questions ?
October 16, 2017 03:40PM
Used to be an old house on the site before the drive-in was there is most likely answer.
October 16, 2017 09:42PM
Fill dirt from another site?
October 16, 2017 10:02PM
Exactly what MRH said. Bey, you sure it's not a half cent....from your size description?
October 17, 2017 01:42PM
ozzie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Exactly what MRH said. Bey, you sure it's not a ha
> lf cent....from your size description?

I matched it with the size in the red book and I can see "one" on the back. I was thinking at one point it was a half cent. This is only my second largie I ever found.
October 17, 2017 03:26PM
Drive ins are usually a pain to hunt due to underground wiring...local ones are old areas and who knows what was there before.
As far a your dad..he is a dedicated hunter with good equipment which leads to good finds...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2017 09:40PM by Dan-Pa..