Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Picking up extra deep hammies with Minelab GPX

Posted by SuchMuch 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Picking up extra deep hammies with Minelab GPX
October 20, 2017 07:06PM
I've never heard European guys do hunt for hammies with Minelab GPX. UK guys told me this detector is a bit speciliazed and used in gold prospecting. Yes, it's designed to hunt for gold nuggets... but professional hunters in RU use it to hunt for extra deep hammered coins. This detector come into the light when site that produces valuable hammiers is cleaned to death and all non ferrous (and trash too) targets are picked up...drinking smiley

Be ready to dig lots of rusted iron. GPX provides poor ID at depth but it is still able to catch tiny signal. Extra deep hammies will be sounded as tiny iron signals and the only way to pick up extra deep hammies is to dig all these iron signals out. It makes sense to dig iron only if hammies are valuable... These signals could be described as a very small "hill", these "hills" could be acsending and descending, this the main clue drinking smiley. You can get some practice in recognizing such signals by testing on small short iron needle. Such short rusted needles sound the very same way hammies sound. It a very tricky to notice such signals.

Good luck in yr hunts
smileys with beer
Re: Picking up extra deep hammies with Minelab GPX
October 20, 2017 07:44PM
Garrett ATX should be good also.
October 20, 2017 08:44PM
GPX is a heavy artelliry and ATX cannot aproach it. GPX could be even used after site was hunted to depth with Signum.
October 21, 2017 02:20AM
Yes gpx can be used to strip mine with.

Better have a strong shovel or back hoe, maybe a strong back.

In real primitive sites with loads of ferrous,,not my first choice.

One reason I sold my GPX, is Because when the soils allows for the best digging here it is a toss up between the deer hunters or being so cold I had such a narrow window time wise to use.
So off it went.

Got news for some folks.
You can dig iron signals with a Vlf and find goodies too.
Some Vlf detectors better than some at this though.
October 21, 2017 05:10AM
Like this... [www.youtube.com]
October 21, 2017 07:37AM
2 Sod-buster :
Your spotted it right GPX no way could be used on trashy sites.
October 21, 2017 08:02AM
A TDI Pro on silver hammered coinage can also be a deadly weapon as well when using a 9x5 folded mono when using low conductivity,this allows the decent sort after targets to be cherry picked but also reduce and in some cases reduce digging small iron nails to almost zero,not the case with much larger iron,so it would be more advantageous if the ground has previous been detected and some of the larger iron removed,but on a cleaner site then of course the iron problem is vastly reduced.

For deep pasture or recently deep ploughed and rolled farmland sites then the coil that is my No1 favourite on the Pulse is the Coiltek 14x9 mono,being foam filled it can be swung all day long without a harness of any kind,of course it would be no good what so ever using it in the surf as it would float like a cork fishing float.

Only a few Pulse machines can be really used for hunting for silver hammered coins and these would mainly be say like the GPX,TDI Pro or variants and ATX,cannot comment about the ATX as i have no knowledge of its discrimination,but i have used a GPX for some time but in say the last couple of years the TDI Pro has been my main machine and it really has worked well on a couple of my roman sites which include one trading villa site that has produced a 'substantial' amount of low conductive coins and another plus for the usage of a Pulse is that the ground conditions are 'black highly mineral content' and i mean very few maybe a handful of VLF machines can/could work this site,but a PI cuts through the ground like a hot knife through butter.
October 21, 2017 08:10AM
It must be mentioned that GPX is exra deep on low conductors only and it's loose on high conductive objects, it could easily miss large silver/copper coin.
So, there is no sense to hunt with GPX for all kinds of targets except low conductors
October 21, 2017 08:21AM
SuchMuch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It must be mentioned that GPX is exra deep on low
> conductors only and it's loose on high conductive
> objects, it could easily miss large silver/copper
> coin.
> So, there is no sense to hunt with GPX for all kin
> ds of targets except low conductors

I totally agree with what you are saying,but i personally feel that a few things need to be bought into the equation here,one is that do you have access too sites that have these types of coinage,in my case yes i do have access to some decent sites but also the main factor is the cost of the machine that you plan on using,the cost to reward equation must work in your favour before buying such a machine,if the costs dont stack up then it could be seen as using a 'sledge hammer to crush a walnut' but if you have a very productive site like a roman trading villa site then the odds are increased in 'your favour'

But to find just the odd 'extra' few silver hammered coins in bad ground conditions then of course that is not a wise purchase,of course these are just my personal thoughts about this.If you are on a sites that you suspect a hoard or other deep artifacts then the 'cost to reward' ratio could well be worth while even greater rewards than just a few extra hammered coins at slightly greater depth than a VLF machine.
October 21, 2017 08:43AM
I have about 10 years of usage experience on the GPX for coins and relics. Anybody that says they don't do well on high conductors is full of it. If anything, they are geared more towards mid to high conductive targets more so than low conductors. That's why the evolution of the GP to GPX 5000 includes more timings for chasing low conductive small targets...and why so many deep large nuggets have been found with the GPX. The weak point on them is the small low conductors...thus why they are always tweaking that area. If you take a GPX and put that thing in the correct timing, you won't miss a silver or copper coin if it is within 15 inches of the coil. If it is big silver or copper, you are looking at depths nearing 20 inches. I have dug US Civil War accoutrement plates (approx fist size, high conductor) at over knee deep depths with a screaming signal. My deepest big copper with one is a US large cent, and it was approx 13-14 inches in the red dirt of Culpeper, VA. I have dug hundreds of Civil War bullets with the GPX, some approaching 16 to 17 inches. I have some on video that were 15 inches. All with the stock 11 inch DD coil by the way. Some of the guys are now using the 12x15 and 18 inch coils for locating trash pits and hut barrel bands that will be over 3 feet deep in some cases. The GPX is a raw horsepower machine. It has a lot of power. One of my favorite techniques is to take the 5x10 DD coil, put it in Normal timing or Sharp timing, and reduce the gain down to 1 or 2 and then go cherry pick old coins. Yep. You read that right. 1 or 2. Why? Because with the 5x10 coil and the low sensitivity, it is still more powerful than most VLF machines at 80-95 gain with 9 to 11 inch coils. 10-11 inch silver dimes are modulated but sweet sounding at those settings, whereas most VLFs will only register those dimes as iron or jumpy signals.

I hate being without one some times. My buddy bought mine from me and whips me every time we hunt together, unless we hunt in town and EMI shuts him out.
October 21, 2017 08:47AM
2 Junk and Disorderly:
You are absolutely right! Coins should worth efforts and expensive detector, that's why I said "valuable hammies".

As to picking up hoards with GPX, it will hit greatly hoards consisting of low conductors only