Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What older detectors seem to hold re-sale value?

Posted by Alpha Goat 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What older detectors seem to hold re-sale value?
November 01, 2017 01:43PM
The CZ5 to me never seems to change over the years . About 400.00 on average! What's your selection? I know there are many!
Re: What older detectors seem to hold re-sale value?
November 01, 2017 01:54PM
I'm going to say the Sovereigns. You very rarely see one of them for under $600, unless it is just the control box and no coil, rod, etc. Along the same lines, the Excaliburs are normally always $800+ for them, even if they are out of warranty. I know I have been watching for one for a long time for around $600 and I just don't think it is going to happen unless the Equinox makes the bottom drop out on them.

I dunno about the CZ machines though. The ones that Tom has calibrated usually bring a fair amount more than a regular non validated unit. I have seen CZs go for $300 or less here lately. And I've seen some fairly rough looking ones with Tom's sticker that bring an additional $150 or so over the better looking ones without Tom's sticker.

I watched a Troy Shadow X5 on eBay a week or so ago, and it still commanded a pretty high final sell price when the bidding ended. I tried for that one myself but go outbid early on and just decided to let it go without trying again.
November 01, 2017 02:17PM
Tesoro Golden µMax with new tones seems to be holding its value rather well.
November 01, 2017 02:18PM
Whites XL-PROs always seem to command top dollar.
It's seems clean ones always get around the 500.00 mark unless beat up.
They still have a cult like following.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2017 02:20PM by Harold,ILL..
November 01, 2017 02:41PM
The Tesoro made Troy Shadow X2 gets my vote, especially if the S7 & S9 coils are included.......
November 01, 2017 03:54PM
Explorer II are still $400.00 and up and selling.
November 01, 2017 06:41PM
Until At Max came out,,At Pro one of the better value holders for used price.

Will have to see if At Pro takes a hit here in this dept.
November 01, 2017 07:00PM
Seems most PIs still command a pretty penny.
November 01, 2017 07:18PM
White's IDX Pro still has a following, Sovereign is still strong, XL Pro, GMT, Fisher Gold Bug II, and any PI.
November 01, 2017 07:53PM
Tom Slick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> White's IDX Pro still has a following, Sovereign i
> s still strong, XL Pro, GMT, Fisher Gold Bug II, a
> nd any PI.

There is a pattern there, they are some of the best detector designs ever. Each one of those nailed their intended purpose. XL Pro: deep silver seeker that covers lots of ground quickly, IDX: stable slow sweeper for picking through the heavy trash, GMT: tough easy to use and effective gold seeker, GB2: super sensitive nugget shooter, etc.

Some designs just got it right, and after many years of being talked about especially here on Internet forums, word gets out.

Another factor is that VLF technology hasn't really improved all that much in the last 20 years or so, so the good designs take a very long time before they become obsolete.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2017 10:34PM by wayfarer.
November 01, 2017 08:28PM
silverhound mentioned the Explorer II.

All the Explorer line seems to hold value pretty well. I bought my first Explorer SE Pro seven years ago, used, when the E-Trac was still the flagship. Paid somewhere in the $600s for it. Today, they still sell in the $500s...

Steve
November 01, 2017 09:32PM
Nothing kills the value of a used detector like being able to buy the same detector or the same performance (or better) NEW for less money.

This is beginning to happen with price cuts from FT and now Minelab. The next step will be the introduction of totally new technology.

Try selling a 10 year old camera you paid $1000 for ......

There will be exceptions - some detector have an “icon” status - like the Whites Pro. XL or some of the Eric Foster PI machines.

It’s a good time to clean out the closet - winter is coming......

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
November 01, 2017 10:57PM
Fisher 1266x always gets top dollar and Sovereign units.
November 02, 2017 06:15AM
Sov GT
Excalibur
TDI Pro
XL Pro
Golden micro Max
Silver Sabre micro Max
Bandido 2 micro Max
Nice condition Explorers

Rich

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
November 02, 2017 07:18AM
Minelab Musketeer - old & holds price

I feel the value for the Garrett AT's will plummet when the Racer3 comes out -

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
November 02, 2017 01:42PM
A lot depends on time of year and amount off familiar items being sold..With the influx of new foreign detectors being sold look for bargains on excellent units.
Older Sov. units sure bring good prices...
November 03, 2017 01:04AM
Tesoro Diablo II - These sell for more than new price.
November 03, 2017 01:11AM
I love my Whites Eagle 11 sl, just will not part with it.
November 03, 2017 01:44PM
Flintstone - Loved my Eagle II SL 90 also. Problem is White's will no longer repair them if the PCB craps out.
November 03, 2017 03:33PM
Would a Spectrum XLT or DFX be worth getting? I know at one time the XLT was popular but I never owned one. I have an uncle that has 2 of them that relic hunts in Georgia but that's because all his friends use them. Outside of that, I don't know anything about them. I had a DFX once but had no idea how to run it outside of Clive's jewelry hunting book and never got good depth out of it as far as pursuing relics. Knowing what I know now with concentric vs DD coils for mineralized soil, it almost makes me want to revisit it and slap a 10x12 or Ultimate coil on it and see what happens.
November 03, 2017 09:02PM
Tesoro Diablo uMax

Compass 77B Auto

Fisher 1266X

Red Heat

Foster PI
November 04, 2017 04:41AM
Some of the old Wilson machines sell today for more than they did new 20 to 25 years ago!