Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Whites detectors

Posted by kickback 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Whites detectors
November 12, 2017 09:02AM
I don't see many posts on Whites detectors.
I have owned Whites, Minelabs, Tesoro's,Fisher,Teknetics and Garretts detectors.All of their "top of the line" detectors. I was a multi line detector dealer for years. I have found more gold jewelry with Whites detectors ie V3i, DFX and MXT's.Especially the V3i. My first hunt at the beach with the V3i yielded a men's 14 carat yellow gold ring with diamonds that appraised at $5600.00 .My first and only silver dollar find came from the V3i.
I found that once I "learned the tones" I could pretty much tell what the target was before I dug it up.There were always surprises.Sometimes they were better than others ie gold rings that read pull tab and or foil.
My favorite detecting trip to the Outer Banks was with a lady named Loren Meegs. We worked together as traveling nurses in a dialysis unit in New Bern N.C. I didn't find much that trip as I couldn't stop looking at Loren in her skimpy bikini.That however is another story..........
I did my best to teach her how to use her Ace 250.The look on her face when she found her first coin,a clad dime,was priceless.Later that day she found a plain 14 ct gold band.I think her feet didn't touch the ground for at least the next 2 days.
When I got married my wife got tired of me being gone detecting.She was impressed with my finds.Per her request I gave her some instruction with my DFX and turned her lose.She started hunting the yards of her relatives in the small town we lived in.She found 6 Mercury dimes and 2 silver quarters the first afternoon she hunted.She was on a detecting "high". I cautioned her that her finds were the exception not the rule. I worked with her on finding nickels,ie pull tab and foil signals.She went back over her relatives yards focusing on possible nickel signals and found 1 war nickel and 2 Buffalo nickles.
We since have been divorced.The first thing she bought after we got divorced was a metal detector.She moved to a small town close to Sioux Falls SD to be close to her grandchildren.She and my ex son in law detect a lot.
Anyway I have found Whites detectors,V3i,DFX and all the MXT models pretty easy to learn.The finds have been many and surprising.
Deep Beepn signals
Badlands Billy
Re: Whites detectors
November 12, 2017 09:13AM
The Whites has every chance to continue the development of the V3i series using multifrequency, to become the leader among the manufacturers of MD, but ... they released MXS and MX7 ...
November 12, 2017 09:43AM
I own 4 Whites machines and had been a loyal fan for years and years especially with the DFX and they had been renown for great build quality,finding decent finds especially good in finding gold coinage etc,but in recent years they are becoming a very similar business model as Tesoro,albeit not as bad but they have bought out a few white elephants that have neither caught on as much as they had hoped or had build quality issues like the MX-Sport and the MX5 and the latest offering the MX 7,with all the other superb machines being offered from other brands and bringing them too market from a basic drawing board idea into production in a very short time duration you cannot rest on your Laurels from days gone past.

The latest offering from Whites the MX 7 or what ever its called the launch has been terrible just say the odd mention in a few high profile news media and thats it,nothing like the latest Minelab offering which is not even on ale yet but folks are offloading machines just so they can put a deposit down on these 2 new models,that is how it should be done,and this Minelab sales campaign has not only hurt Whites sales but also other long established brands as well.

Hope Whites go back and think long and hard on what they bring out next and also the time duration involved here as well,taking the time on bring out a new mediocre machine is not the way forward i personally think.Come on Whites dont turn into the next Tesoro model as that would be totally criminal and waste decades of loyal followers as they drift onto other brand as that is what has been happening including myself.
November 12, 2017 01:13PM
vfp7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Whites has every chance to continue the develo
> pment of the V3i series using multifrequency, to b
> ecome the leader among the manufacturers of MD, bu
> t ... they released MXS and MX7 ...

I have the same opinion. After problems with MX Sport. I don't think so. Blended audio, problems with software, too heavy upper part of LCD screen and bad weight distribution. Nightmare. You can't compare to old models. They are in dark age now.
November 13, 2017 10:31PM
Junk and Disorderly Wrote:
> I own 4 Whites machines and had been a loyal fan f
> or years and years especially with the DFX and the
> y had been renown for great build quality,finding
> decent finds especially good in finding gold coina
> ge etc,but in recent years they are becoming a ver
> y similar business model as Tesoro,albeit not as b
> ad but they have bought out a few white elephants
> that have neither caught on as much as they had ho
> ped or had build quality issues like the MX-Sport
> and the MX5 and the latest offering the MX 7,with
> all the other superb machines being offered from o
> ther brands and bringing them too market from a ba
> sic drawing board idea into production in a very s
> hort time duration you cannot rest on your Laurels
> from days gone past.
>
> The latest offering from Whites the MX 7 or what e
> ver its called the launch has been terrible just s
> ay the odd mention in a few high profile news medi
> a and thats it,nothing like the latest Minelab off
> ering which is not even on ale yet but folks are o
> ffloading machines just so they can put a deposit
> down on these 2 new models,that is how it should b
> e done,and this Minelab sales campaign has not onl
> y hurt Whites sales but also other long establishe
> d brands as well.
>
> Hope Whites go back and think long and hard on wha
> t they bring out next and also the time duration i
> nvolved here as well,taking the time on bring out
> a new mediocre machine is not the way forward i pe
> rsonally think.Come on Whites dont turn into the n
> ext Tesoro model as that would be totally criminal
> and waste decades of loyal followers as they drift
> onto other brand as that is what has been happenin
> g including myself.

Absolutely agree with this 100% -thumbs down

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
November 14, 2017 12:31AM
I grew up on Whites. They were my preferred choice back when detecting and treasure mags were the source of info. The Eagle Spectrum was truly revolutionary in concept. They have had a few great detectors since then. But in this business and hobby it is all about getting an edge. Something unique or revolutionary. I hope they have that one machine planned that will knock our socks off. I would love to go back to a Whites. But the competition in my opinion is kicking butt.
November 14, 2017 12:56AM
When I started this hobby in the mid 1970s, Whites was the "corvette" of metal detectors . Compass and Garret were contenders, but Whites was the sign of a true stud-muffin.

But in the decades that followed (by the mid to late 1980s and '90s) that ceased to be the case (IMHO).

As for the ability to tell gold from other objects: I'll have to disagree with you. ANY machine (when you turn down the disc. in junky parks) you can go to ANY blighted urban parks and dig low conductors till your arms fall off. And ... no ... I don't think that the tabs or foil sound any different from commensurate gold rings. Unless you're doing "notching" which is NOT the same as telling-the-difference between gold and aluminum. JMHO.

If ever anyone tries to tell me that gold and aluminum have a different sound, I have an immediate solution to this: Simply invite them out to the nearest inner city urban blighted junky park. Offer to turn them loose and see *just how much* junk they can pass in favor of gold. You will soon hear the sound of crickets. Just sayin' ......
November 16, 2017 01:09AM
Whites TDI Pro was The Deepest Detector on (wet salt Black sand) I ever used. To bad I could only use it on The low tide sand only. Its discontinued now. confused smiley

For Jewelry hunting The Sports Fields on The way from work, The VX3 is hard to beat, with it's Dead accurate Target ID / Pinpoint / Depth Readings.

After trying every Detector to man kind, I still have a whites in my trunk (for my type of Hunting)
November 16, 2017 12:00PM
Yet they have not waterproofed some of their accomplishments. Maybe they need to take some marketing approaches from ML?
November 16, 2017 02:37PM
When I asked Why Whites dropped the TDI Pro,my favorite PI detector, I was told by the Whites"media guy--his self description" that the TDI Pro was "old technology"--I guess the MX 7 is the New Technology??
November 16, 2017 02:54PM
All Whites would have to do to take my money, would be to put TDI Pro or TDI Big Box circuitry into the Whites Dual Field PI waterproof housing.
November 16, 2017 04:11PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> All Whites would have to do to take my money, woul
> d be to put TDI Pro or TDI Big Box circuitry into
> the Whites Dual Field PI waterproof housing.

Please do Daniel's suggestion, then make an adjustable bracket on the back of the rod where the box is mounted so that I can easily adjust the distance and weight balance of the unit for when using a large or small coil, so that I do not have shoulder strain. Then I don't need to fool with chest mount, etc.

Please, please.
November 16, 2017 10:37PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> All Whites would have to do to take my money, woul
> d be to put TDI Pro or TDI Big Box circuitry into
> the Whites Dual Field PI waterproof housing.

Ditto for the V3i in a waterproof housing similar to the MXS.
November 17, 2017 12:18AM
Ain't gonna happen----makes tooooo much sense.
November 17, 2017 04:46AM
PhDtector Wrote:
> Daniel Tn Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > All Whites would have to do to take my money, wo
> ul
> > d be to put TDI Pro or TDI Big Box circuitry int
> o
> > the Whites Dual Field PI waterproof housing.
>
>
> Ditto for the V3i in a waterproof housing similar
> to the MXS.

Agree on the V3i. It's an excellent detector and just needs a few improvements: faster processor, more communicative "sparkier" disc. audio, better auto ground balance system like on the MXT.

The development cost must have been astronomical on the V3i. White's got it about 90% right on their first try. Now 7 years later, which the additional knowledge they've gained and advancements in technology, they could bring out a "V3i Pro" and get it 99.9% right.

C'mon White's we know you can do it!
November 17, 2017 11:10AM
wayfarer Wrote:
> PhDtector Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Daniel Tn Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> > -----
> > > All Whites would have to do to take my money,
> wo
> > ul
> > > d be to put TDI Pro or TDI Big Box circuitry i
> nt
> > o
> > > the Whites Dual Field PI waterproof housing.
> >
> >
> > Ditto for the V3i in a waterproof housing simila
> r
> > to the MXS.
>
> Agree on the V3i. It's an excellent detector and
> just needs a few improvements: faster processor,
> more communicative "sparkier" disc. audio, better
> auto ground balance system like on the MXT.
>
> The development cost must have been astronomical o
> n the V3i. White's got it about 90% right on thei
> r first try. Now 7 years later, which the additio
> nal knowledge they've gained and advancements in t
> echnology, they could bring out a "V3i Pro" and ge
> t it 99.9% right.
>
> C'mon White's we know you can do it!

And they're going to have to if they want to remain competitive.
November 17, 2017 11:51AM
I started in 1975 with a White's Gold Master 66T if I remember the model correctly. No disc, Metal/Mineral adjustment. I found a lot of good stuff with that detector. Became a White's dealer with a prospecting, detecting shop in the early 90's. Yes, I was a White's fan. Owned and tried most if not all their top models over the years through the V3i. I still have three DFX's (bigFoot coils) but the rest of my White's have gone Bye-Bye. Too much good competition out there now and all of the latest White's detectors have left me disappointed. Prizm series, latest coinmaster, Treasuremaster, TreasurePro, MX5, MXSport, etc. now another mid level entry MX7 with no improvements to or over the V3i since 2009. Man, I fell off the bandwagon and White's hasn't produced anything to make me want to climb back on. I'm still holding out hope but for me, the light at the end of the tunnel keeps getting dimmer, and I'm concerned the the light for White's end of the tunnel is getting brighter.
November 17, 2017 05:52PM
Tom Slick Wrote:
> I started in 1975 with a White's Gold Master 66T i
> f I remember the model correctly. No disc, Metal/M
> ineral adjustment. I found a lot of good stuff wit
> h that detector. Became a White's dealer with a pr
> ospecting, detecting shop in the early 90's. Yes,
> I was a White's fan. Owned and tried most if not a
> ll their top models over the years through the V3i
> . I still have three DFX's (bigFoot coils) but the
> rest of my White's have gone Bye-Bye. Too much goo
> d competition out there now and all of the latest
> White's detectors have left me disappointed. Prizm
> series, latest coinmaster, Treasuremaster, Treasur
> ePro, MX5, MXSport, etc. now another mid level ent
> ry MX7 with no improvements to or over the V3i sin
> ce 2009. Man, I fell off the bandwagon and White's
> hasn't produced anything to make me want to climb
> back on. I'm still holding out hope but for me, th
> e light at the end of the tunnel keeps getting dim
> mer, and I'm concerned the the light for White's e
> nd of the tunnel is getting brighter.

Have you tried an upgraded MX Sport? It's a lot better than folks give it credit for.
November 17, 2017 06:12PM
I think instead of trying to keep up Whites would have more success going back and updating their most Popular Detectors. Like The IDX, XL-PRO Design.
A few updates and tweeks could make these two even more popular than in their day.
Stay with the Metal box design. That's what makes them different, instead of following the Pac with more Plastic type 'light weight' Designs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2017 06:15PM by Harold,ILL..
November 17, 2017 06:52PM
I'd love to see an IDX Pro with ground balance, threshold, and tone ID or multiple tones.
November 17, 2017 07:15PM
Tom Slick Wrote:
> I'd love to see an IDX Pro with ground balance, th
> reshold, and tone ID or multiple tones.

Yes exactly! And same with the XL-PRO Analog design.
Make it a 2 Filter so You don't have to whip it also.
And everything above You said.
November 17, 2017 07:20PM
Tom Slick Wrote:
> I'd love to see an IDX Pro with ground balance, th
> reshold, and tone ID or multiple tones.

I would 2nd that opinion,must admit i have started using my standard IDX Pro again which is 20 years old but its still performs exceptionally as a great all round detector,only have the 950 coil on but i prefer using it over the DFX that i have owned for about 15 years,always wanted the manual GB mod done but sometimes its just nice too fire up the IDX Pro and off out and enjoying the detecting as it should be.If setup right it will just sound out on good targets.

Infact this weekend i could well use the good old IDX out on a couple of my roman sites.
November 19, 2017 02:18AM
I hoped this wouldn't turn into some kind of bashing post.I was just trying to share my good experiences with Whites.Bill
November 20, 2017 07:16PM
My first Whites was the Eagle Spectrum. Than I got the water one. The Surfmaster II. Still using the Surfmaster. One of the best water machines I have ever had. And I had a few of the others. Don't know why they stopped making that detector.
Is anyone else using the old Surfmaster ? KENcool smiley

Two Tesoro Compadres, One Silver uMax, , and one Whites Surfmaster 2 , Fisher 1266x
I had others I wish I did not sell.
Whites detectors
November 21, 2017 12:14AM
Detectorist Wrote:
> Have you tried an upgraded MX Sport? It's a lot be
> tter than folks give it credit for.

What exactly is an UPGRADED MX Sport? Did I miss something along the way? I was very close to picking up an MX Sport when they were first introduced to use as my ALL WEATHER detector and to dabble in some fresh water beach hunting. Then there were software glitches and version issues followed by the display cover cracking at the corners. At that point, I backed off and decided to let things settle. Seems like the MX Sport lost all momentum and fell out of favor even after things were eventually squared away. But I've not heard of an UPGRADED MX Sport. Are we talking about F75 type upgrades? or just a reference to White's getting the initial problems resolved?

Rich -

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
November 21, 2017 12:35AM
There are no White's detectors in my house now.
There used to be.

I have read all the folks responses above.

It is ironic.

If White's would have watched the auto industry they likely would have had keener understanding of what was ahead for them, they didn't it seems.

Fast forward.

Notice the USA auto industry now.
What do you see?

Ford brought back the Mustang design.
GM brought back the Camaro design.
Crysler brought back the charger design.

We know why they did this.

I could never understand why the "big 3" stopped making these models to begin with!!

Next, color screens don't help folks find more whatever with any model detector.

Weight is a BIG factor now for a detector, especially General Vlf.

Does anyone think for one minute the Equinox was hatched without someone or group of folks reading all the flack with the explorer/Etrac/CTX/safari detectors??

Criticism can bring good things to bear.

And the Equinox I am sure will get criticized in the needed places, hence Minelab will undoubtably heed/consider these opinions.

Folks should remember there are lots one manufacturer can learn by reading about criticism of other manufacturers product(s) not just their own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2017 12:38AM by Sod-buster.
November 21, 2017 02:10AM
I don't think anyone above is bashing White's. We're just trying to help them understand what people want in a detector. I don't think they have been listening for the past few years. When there was less competition, the manufactures could basically design a detector the way they wanted, maybe due to cost or design limits, and we the consumer had to just take it (or leave it). In the past many folks were very brand loyal and just took it. Now with so many different manufactures, many of whom do listen to what their customers want, and they try to fill those needs, brand loyalty has gone out the window. I was a past White's dealer and "White's was the greatest". Now I have found other brands that have given me detectors that out perform my other machines so I now use them. Since my last new White's 2009 V3i, I've bought two Fishers, three Teknetics, one Minelab, and four Makro/Noktas. I don't even have the V3i anymore. I do have three DFX's but only because they work well with the BigFoot coil. If not for those coils the DFX's would be history also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2017 06:25AM by Tom Slick.
November 21, 2017 06:52AM
"My wife's proud of the weight I've lost" (pats his oversized belly)

"And she's proud of this" (holds ring up for the camera)

Anybody remember that old White's commercial?
November 21, 2017 11:29AM
November 21, 2017 02:46PM
Thanks, Sod!

Funny thing is, twenty years later that belly doesn't seem so oversized to me anymore!grinning smiley