Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Any ideas what this may be.....

Posted by wjs 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
wjs
Any ideas what this may be.....
November 12, 2017 12:40PM
Found this while out metal detecting. Appears to be copper or brass.

[www.findmall.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2017 01:23PM by wjs.
Re: Any ideas what this may be.....
November 12, 2017 02:08PM
Maybe a shot put for track and field?
wjs
November 12, 2017 02:14PM
I thought about that but I thought they may be perfectly round. This is round but not perfect. Kind of crude.....
November 12, 2017 02:21PM
Hi WJS, I found one of the same or looks like the same. Mine has a small hole in it and something on it but can't tell what it said. I was told that it was a tag that went around the head of a slave when he was up for sale. Had a number of the slave that they were bidding on. Don't know if this is true or not, but that is what I was told. Dose your have any hole or wording? The lot # could be taken off and put on the next slave. If you find out any more on it please post it. I would like to know for sure. flintstone
November 12, 2017 02:37PM
From some sort of Ball Mill used to soften leather or some sort of material. May be made from copper so as not to react with chemicals in the tumbling process?
They are common in mining country but always made from iron. I have found a few and they are always out of round due to being tumbled. Cool find!

Dean
November 12, 2017 09:05PM
How about an 8 pound cannonball? Have any idea what diameter it is? 8 pounders were 103mm.

Charles

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2017 09:08PM by Charles (Sabre)(Tx).
November 13, 2017 02:44AM
Is it solid??? Or plated???wonder fo it's a cannonball someone had plated at one time for a sort of souvenir ??

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla