Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Battery help...

Posted by Dan-Pa. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Battery help...
November 19, 2017 03:45PM
Older Whites take 4 C batteries....can I safely use AA batteries in these units and how many would I need..I know I have read a post or two along this line...any help appreciated...Have mucho AA batteries and no units I an use then in is reason for post...
Re: Battery help...
November 19, 2017 05:30PM
C batteries are 1.5v just like AA are. The difference is the mah (milliamps hour)...which is how long they last in accordance to the devices mah draw.

C is about 8000 and AA like 2500. So you would need roughly 3 AA per C...so that will be 4.5 volts in 3x AA.

Meaning the 4x C = 6 volts and the 12x AA would be 18 volts. You would need some sort of reisistor pehaps.

I'm no electrician so somebody may correct or refute this post.

My YouTube - [www.youtube.com]
Website - [www.thehuntergt.com]
November 19, 2017 07:19PM
Dan,

You can purchase plastic AA to C adapters, and simply use 4 AA in the standard White's alkaline battery holder.

The adapters are plastic sleeves that look just like a C battery with a cylindrical hole in the middle you can slide the AA into.

I use Eneloop batteries (rechargeable) rated at around 2400 mAh.

Since the original rechargeable C cells in the White's rechargeable pack were from the 80s and 90s, and had less capacity then, you aren't losing much capacity with the newer AAs.
(...and the pack weights significantly less, now.)

If you use alkalines, the newer batteries are probably on-par with the older 'C' capacity.

Works great.
smiling smiley
mike

Edit:
I purchase mine from Amazon, and use them in all the older machines that use 'C' size.
They work just fine...with no 'funny business'... in the White's units, but you have to fiddle a bit with the Garrett Master hunter battery boxes in order to make contact.
(And it make them all lighter, and easier on the arms.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2017 07:29PM by Mike in CO.
November 19, 2017 08:40PM
What Dan said above. Eneloop adapters are the way to go. I use AA's in place of C cells in a couple of flashlights I have. I also have the D cell eneloop adapters. The AA's don't last as long as the D cells but when needed I just recharge them. I have a bunch of eneloop AA's so I always have some charged and ready to go. The adapters should work with any rechargeable or non rechargeable AA's. Just type in eneloop adapters in Amazon search
November 19, 2017 11:51PM
November 20, 2017 02:30AM
Thanks guys you are a wealth of info....appreciate the info...Dan
November 20, 2017 02:36AM
A good place to get eneloop batteries and the "c" adapters to use them in.
free shipping on orders of $50 or more. You can save a bunch of cash if you use them instead of alkaline batteries.

[www.batteryjunction.com]