Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Recent encounter

Posted by markg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Recent encounter
November 19, 2017 11:58PM
Had a couple hours yesterday so I thought I'd hit a county playground where I'd found some gold jewelry in the past. Headed out with my PI and a recently borrowed 5 x 9 folded mono coil to see what might come up.
You know, I never realized there could possibly be so many bobbie pins in the world. This machine has no difficulty locating these small metal objects. But with careful listening, the audio gives just enough hints so I became very close to 100% sure of what these targets were before digging.
Well anyway, on with the story. I'd been hunting about an hour when a young man carrying a back pack comes to where I was hunting and proceeds to ask if I'd found anything good. Reaching into my pouch I pulled out my very meager finds and a small silver pendant. Not much but I was enjoying the day none the less. The young man proceeded to open his back pack and removed several containers of silver, copper coins along with many old relics including some nice buttons and buckles. Some of these coins dated back to the 1800's. Looked like his entire treasure was in his back pack and in fact it was, he explained, when I leave the house I take them with me, fearing someone might break in and steal them. I had to ask how he had acquired so many coins and relics and he stated he too was a hunter and uses the Mine lab Etrac. Had to ask again and this time he answered mostly old home sites. I continued to ask where and his answer was I knock on doors and ask to detect and this is where most of his finds have come from. Amazing what this young man has found in the same counties where I have hunted for some 20 years. He seems to have done everything right to acquire that many old silver and copper coins and on top of that many gold rings to boot. Well we continued to talk and I had to ask if he belonged to any of the treasure forums on the internet and his answer was no. But he said I have a private Facebook group and invited me to join. The conversation continued for some 30 minutes or so exchanging hunting experiences and finds. The whole time thinking just how smart this guy was and what I stand to learn from him even though I had more than a decade of addition experience. The park was starting to get crowded so we decided to leave. What a chance meeting to talk to a fellow hunter in my area. That afternoon I checked my email and sure enough Shane had subscribed to my you tube site. So I requested to join his treasure hunting site on Facebook and he accepted and the journey begins.
Re: Recent encounter
November 20, 2017 12:23AM
Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like you have a new friend.
November 20, 2017 02:43AM
One never knows...found an old abandoned house and knocked on the door across the street to ask who owns...well he didn't know but invited me into his den and was greeted with many relics and old coins in glass containers on the wall...Big beautiful house owned by a big buck contractor who traveled on weekends to relic hunt..Pulled out an old Whites 5900 that had many battle scars and told me it was his only detector. Heck he could afford any equipment he wanted but goes to show they are still pulling the goodies with old units...Guess knowing your unit and expertise works....
November 20, 2017 04:05AM
Shoulda konked him on the head and took his goodies. >grinning smiley<
(I am kidding...Or am I? smoking smiley)
November 20, 2017 05:02AM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One never knows...found an old abandoned house and
> knocked on the door across the street to ask who o
> wns...well he didn't know but invited me into his
> den and was greeted with many relics and old coins
> in glass containers on the wall...Big beautiful ho
> use owned by a big buck contractor who traveled on
> weekends to relic hunt..Pulled out an old Whites 5
> 900 that had many battle scars and told me it was
> his only detector. Heck he could afford any equipm
> ent he wanted but goes to show they are still pull
> ing the goodies with old units...Guess knowing you
> r unit and expertise works..

Talking of old units there was a gentleman at my old treasure club......well he had a very old ratty detector held together by duck tape.....you guessed it----he always found the most treasure. hh
November 20, 2017 10:26AM
Good story mark. Odd that he takes his finds every where he goes.......bad neighborhood?

My guess is that he saw you detecting and shuffled home nearby to get his treasures to show you.

My kids (when they lived home) use to warn their friends that pops will probably talk detecting and want to show off his finds. All good. They seemed astonished judging by the dropped jaws and questions. My kids let me boast and just stood there smiling saying "I told you he'd do that". lol
November 20, 2017 12:03PM
It is a good story,but must admit i would have thought that he would of had a higher chance of getting done over and all his finds stolen while he was out rather than say hiding them in a secret place in his house/apartment or what ever.It may well be totally feasible but it does seem some what rather odd i must admit.
November 20, 2017 01:17PM
I love my old Whites and a Garrett! But they are to heavy now! They reside in the closet. They will make someone happy one day!
November 20, 2017 03:00PM
Entire treasure in his backpack? Mark and I have completely different opinions about this guy's intelligence.
November 20, 2017 03:44PM
'Sounds like a French guy we met in Konigsberg at a Minelab event... he showed us the most gorgeous well conserved and nicely presented coins & artefacts found from land and sea with his CTX in particular! We couldn't believe he hand carried the lot to show us!
He was really proud of the collection and rightly so too!'
November 20, 2017 04:02PM
Interesting

Glad you found a hunting partner..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2017 04:03PM by Keith Southern.
November 20, 2017 04:04PM
Interesting story and a shame that there are people in our country who have to resort to his tactics to preserve their possessions from evil people. Glock'em.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2017 04:06PM by doc holiday.
November 20, 2017 05:58PM
I learned the hard way not to show off my good stuff to people I don't know. I enjoy talking to most everyone, but I don't really care to amaze them and I really, really don't want to be asked to surrender my hard earned item to some scammer (or their friend or relative) who can now describe it in detail claiming they lost it. And yes it has happened.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2017 06:00PM by Pasttom.
November 20, 2017 07:03PM
To each His own, But like Pasttom I show nothing. Always say I find a few clads that's it. People get enough of the wrong Idea about Detecting making You rich nowadays. Sure they find out the hard way it's not so, But can do a lot of Damage in the mean time and gets some good spots closed. It happened in My County first hand so not just talking crap. When I first started I was different, But public sites have become far and few between. Nowaday's they are a rare commodity.
I know some will call Me a Grumpy Old Man but that's the way it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2017 07:34PM by Harold,ILL..
November 20, 2017 11:33PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know some will call Me a Grumpy Old Man but that
> 's the way it is.

Harold, You're a GRUMPY OLD MAN !! Welcome to the club. grinning smiley

Rich (Utah)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
November 21, 2017 06:38AM
Guess you better sign me up for that club too.smileys with beer

I can't see any percentage in showing off finds to curious strangers. "Some modern coins and a lot of trash" works for me.

Sometimes if I'm feeling frisky I might mention finding a wheat penny or two.grinning smiley
November 21, 2017 03:20PM
"My father owned a little piece of land. He carried it with him wherever he went." -- Woody Allen