Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Is 16 inches on a 1909 Barber Quarter with a Deus possible?

Posted by sanjuro 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Is 16 inches on a 1909 Barber Quarter with a Deus possible?
November 20, 2017 04:40PM
Just reading about a 1909 Barber quarter that was found with a Deus @ 16 inches is that possible ?
Re: Is 16 inches on a 1909 Barber Quarter with a Deus possible?
November 20, 2017 05:22PM
That's about it's air test value.
November 20, 2017 05:46PM
So many things unsaid...
Using found one may conclude it was discovered in ground, undisturbed at some location. But no help with where, soil type, coil, version, co-located metal, etc.? Another point is how was 16 inches determined? Who hasn't had a coin fall out of the side of a hole and look for all the world like it was at the bottom?
So... possible? I guess, but not likely. I ran a Deus for a couple years and never saw near that impressive depth, but maybe somewhere in the universe...

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
November 20, 2017 05:52PM
Thats a mighty deep hole for a single coin! But stranger things can happen!
November 20, 2017 06:01PM
A guy said he got 15" on a buried half---but---I SURE never got that kind of depth with the four Deus detectors I've had over the years---not even close.
November 20, 2017 07:04PM
11 inch coil the settings were

5 tones
sens: 93
frequency: 11.8
Iron vol: 1
React: 1
Silencer: 3
Audio resp. 6
Notch: 00-00
Disc:2.5

I think maybe that the coin fell out of the sidewall
November 20, 2017 07:19PM
Calabash Digger has real mild soil, here's a quarter depth test.
[youtu.be]
November 20, 2017 07:41PM
Depends on who's measuring. I don't think some people realize just how deep a true 12" hole is much less 16". It is possible...but...
November 20, 2017 07:58PM
If you look at Scannerguy1968's YouTube channel you will see that most if not all detectors have a real hard time on a large brass candle holder at 15 inches so for a much smaller coin....no way in my opinion
Of all the thousands of detecting videos on youtube how many genuine videos show a coin being found past 12+ inches....?
I have detected on super mild old pasture with a Deus, Explorer 2, Xterra 70 and never came anywhere close to that depth, in fact 12 inches on a coin is super rare in real hunting conditions
Freshly or recently buried coins don't count as we all should know by now.
November 20, 2017 08:24PM
I'd agree with you, with the exception that on a ploughed field every coin found is practically fresh buried.
I never found a small coin past 6" or a large coin past 9" with my Deus.

james1969 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you look at Scannerguy1968's YouTube channel y
> ou will see that most if not all detectors have a
> real hard time on a large brass candle holder at 1
> 5 inches so for a much smaller coin....no way in m
> y opinion
> Of all the thousands of detecting videos on you
> tube how many genuine videos show a coin being fou
> nd past 12+ inches....?
> I have detected on super mild old pasture with
> a Deus, Explorer 2, Xterra 70 and never came anywh
> ere close to that depth, in fact 12 inches on a co
> in is super rare in real hunting conditions
> Freshly or recently buried coins don't count as
> we all should know by now.
November 20, 2017 09:05PM
Maybe in all metal in damp sand or something but I doubt it. I've tweaked my Deus within an inch of it's life and could never get 16". CTX either even with 17" coil for that matter.
November 20, 2017 09:16PM
I'd want to be standing there when a 16" deep coin was dug.....and then I wouldn't believe it. HH jim tn
November 20, 2017 09:21PM
I dug a SLQ at a measured 11" once at a park with my F75 LTD. Not sure why, and I was never able to replicate it. I suspect it was (unknowingly) the perfect storm scenario, F75 was on the best sub-freq for EMI mitigation, right mode (BP as I recall), 3H tones, and all the variables in the universe were right. I was detecting with three other's that all had Etracs or Explorers at the same park, and everyone was fairly close together.

Also dug a bust half dollar at a measured 10" deep, in heavy iron. That was a site that was pounded, my detecting buddy had written it off as "hunted out". It was a crystal clear signal and I dug it after the F75 "LTD2 upgrade" was done (the second time). Again was on BP mode, 3H tones, and the stars and planets were properly aligned. Now a half dollar is a pretty large target, but it was in heavy iron, right next to a foundation that had been pounded by a multitude of machines before.

I don't see anything aside from a PI machine getting a quarter past 12" deep IMHO.

-Brian
November 20, 2017 09:44PM
sanjuro Wrote:
> Just reading about a 1909 Barber quarter that was
> found with a Deus @ 16 inches is that possible ?

I'll bet that detectorist has been to Bootcampsmiling smiley
November 20, 2017 09:59PM
"The deep coins are there for sure.

Testing a couple of new models this year I went to a farm field prepped for new homes construction. The site hasn't been fully cleared yet. An area the width of a CAT excavator had dug out an entrance drive and I detected the cleared surface. I 'wrongly' reported "14" inches of Top Soil had been removed. It was exactky 21", almost two feet. ( I visually wrongly used my digger as a measure but returned with a real tape )
Some coins & other bits found were a further 3" to 4" to 6" into the hard packed soil making a True Value Depth up to two foot plus.

But to detect a single coin to 16", I'd say it's an exaggerated claim or maybe the person has poor eye sight but SUPER hearing?

But before I leave you, I remember back to my very first detector (C Scope) whose manufacturer put in the catalog, "up to 16" on a single coin and deeper for larger objects", and I couid never explain this, casually scanning at the sea water's edge, a wave crashed and I instinctively pulled the detector up to about knee height and, "Was that a signal I just heard" with the coil parallel to my knee? Yes, it was, I recovered a silver ring!"
I just measured 18" up from the ground to my knee!

So, as my late Uncle said, "I'll give him the benefit of the doubt!"
November 20, 2017 10:18PM
Your right about coins down at 2ft, my friend used to go on building sites after the excavators had stripped the topsoil layer back, he had a little Laser detector and would find hammered coins deep.

Des D Wrote:
> "The deep coins are there for sure.
>
> Testing a couple of new models this year I went to
> a farm field prepped for new homes construction. T
> he site hasn't been fully cleared yet. An area the
> width of a CAT excavator had dug out an entrance d
> rive and I detected the cleared surface. I 'wrongl
> y' reported "14" inches of Top Soil had been remov
> ed. It was exactky 21", almost two feet. ( I visua
> lly wrongly used my digger as a measure but return
> ed with a real tape )
> Some coins & other bits found were a further 3" to
> 4" to 6" into the hard packed soil making a True V
> alue Depth up to two foot plus.
>
> But to detect a single coin to 16", I'd say it's a
> n exaggerated claim or maybe the person has poor e
> ye sight but SUPER hearing?
>
> But before I leave you, I remember back to my very
> first detector (C Scope) whose manufacturer put in
> the catalog, "up to 16" on a single coin and deepe
> r for larger objects", and I couid never explain t
> his, casually scanning at the sea water's edge, a
> wave crashed and I instinctively pulled the detect
> or up to about knee height and, "Was that a signal
> I just heard" with the coil parallel to my knee? Y
> es, it was, I recovered a silver ring!"
> I just measured 18" up from the ground to my knee!
>
> So, as my late Uncle said, "I'll give him the bene
> fit of the doubt!"
November 20, 2017 11:00PM
Dig that hole... dig that hole.... when it drops in off the side measure and take a picture. The deeper the target.... the more it will transition into a iron reading same as iron will WRAP AROUND into a high tone with high sensitivity. If you are digging it all........ you might get a surprise at that depth.

Dew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2017 12:04PM by dewcon4414.
November 20, 2017 11:54PM
I have a spot that I have not hunted in years because there was just no targets being found. In the beginning of this year I took my Deus to this spot and set it up with very little descrim, reactivity on 1, sensitivity on 95 and TX power on 3. So far this year I have found over 30 silver dimes as well as a half dozen silver quarters here and they were all at 8" to 12+ inches. When I think a spot is all hunted out with my other units then the Deus bats clean up!
November 21, 2017 12:26AM
I've heard of some getting Way Deeper Than Average depths, but I've not experienced anything close to that on a quarter sized target. BUT I"VE NEVER HUNTED WITH A DEUS, so I don't know it's capabilities. All metal mode maybe?

Perhaps the detectorists using the DEUS had a HALO. grinning smiley

Rich -

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
November 25, 2017 04:11AM
Got a 16 inch walking half at 16 inches with CZ5..lake had just been drained and sand was wet..so under the right conditions who knows..
November 25, 2017 04:45PM
No, But it is with a Nautilus. Ha! I guess I better qualify it by saying in Mild/Moderate ground before all the Hot ground People come out of the woodwork.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2017 04:47PM by Harold,ILL..
November 25, 2017 05:10PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> No, But it is with a Nautilus. Ha! I guess I bette
> r qualify it by saying in Mild/Moderate ground be
> fore all the Hot ground People come out of the woo
> dwork.

C'mon now Harold!!smiling smiley-----Who knows, maybe in your sweet ground!----but----Come on out to our country in the NW & do it.----Yah sure brought me out of the woodwork!winking smiley
November 26, 2017 03:46AM
I would have to say no. It might happen under a perfect situation, but it will never be replicated and consistent. I dug a large cent over 10 inches with one. But that was stretching the limits for my ears.
November 26, 2017 05:11AM
That 16 inch figure seems to be making the rounds quite a bit with the Deus fanboys on just about everything...coins, Civil War buttons and bullets, etc.

There was a war/feud about it on the Facebook group "Civil War Unearthed" the other day, and I have seen it happen on other groups on there too. Lots of Deus fans out there and they are very adamant about it being the best metal detector on the market....almost to the point of being dogmatic. I swear, all of them claim to have dug some coin, button, or bullet at 16 inches or more.
November 26, 2017 10:27AM
Some measure the depth of a hole shaped like a V, on the diagonal verses on the plumb......don't know why.....maybe that newB girl who pulled that 16" gold coin did.

Not saying 16" is impossible....but I've never witnessed it from the tens of thousands of targets and holes I have dug....not small coin size targets.
November 26, 2017 12:11PM
I'm on my 3rd deus now since their release about 5 yrs ago and I've never witnessed/dug a quarter size target at 16" with any of the 3 I've owned. Have hunted with 3 or 4 other deus users several times and never seen them dig a quarter size target at anything close to 16" either.

The deepest/largest coins I've dug with mine have been Large Cents (3 or 4 of them) at 11"/12" deep (deeper than a garrett pin-pointer is long by a couple inches) in moist, mild soil around here and/but largies are thicker/larger diameter than quarters too.
November 26, 2017 02:32PM
A guy over on the Tnet tesoro forum has a Vaquero video up of it hitting a 15 in quarter. I am going to have to test that. I have a very hot Vaquero but never tried a quarter at 15in.
November 26, 2017 07:27PM
Just had a look and seen this posted.....amazballs..!

Not supertuned with the thresh just slightly buzzing in your headphones can get shockingly deep in good soil, too.
I hit a tiny pocket stud off a small pair of kid's jeans in some tot lot chips once not supertuned and using the standard concentric coil.
That thing was stable and clear and almost 12" deep.
Plus the pinpoint button works and you can tell a lot about depth of targets by the sound of the tone not supertuned.

Welgund Wrote:
> A guy over on the Tnet tesoro forum has a Vaquero
> video up of it hitting a 15 in quarter. I am goin
> g to have to test that. I have a very hot Vaquero
> but never tried a quarter at 15in.
November 28, 2017 11:23PM
Can the Deus even air test a Quarter at 16"?
16 inches on a 1909 Barber Quarter with a Deus possible?
November 29, 2017 03:21AM
sanjuro Wrote:
> Just reading about a 1909 Barber quarter that was
> found with a Deus @ 16 inches is that possible ?

Guess I should have prefaced my comments with, "What size coil were they using?" and "Are you sure about the date on the Barber Quarter?"

(Just kidding on the quarter part)

I don't use a Deus and have no idea what size coils XP offers for the Deus, but I no longer say NO WAY to people finding coins that deep. I believe a larger than standard coil would be necessary and a knowledgeable operator.

Rich -

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.