Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

More Depth With Larger Search Coils?

Posted by tabman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
More Depth With Larger Search Coils?
November 25, 2017 07:06PM
On dime and quarter size targets just how much more depth does a larger search coil give you, since larger search coils tend not to hit so well on smaller targets? I'm using the stock 10 inch elliptical search coil on my Omega 8000 v6 now, but I'm considering getting a larger search coil for it. Right now I can get 7 to 8 inches on a dime in my mild ground. Taking into consideration EMI and separation, what's a good brand and size search coil to use for dime and quarter size targets?

tabman
Re: More Depth With Larger Search Coils?
November 25, 2017 07:51PM
I dont own a Omega,but i do own a original T2,the bigger than stock 11'' coil that i use is the NEL Storm 14x13 DD which not only gives me additional depth but also the extra ground coverage on ploughed and rolled and pasture sites,most bigger coils will give you additional depth but the bigger you start going you then start loosing out on the sensitivity on small coins,but the Nel Storm coil i find bucks this trend and still finds me small silver cut halves etc which can be found at reasonable depth.

Anything bigger and i do have bigger coils for extra depth but then you do start loosing sensitivity on single coins but is ideal for CW artifact and other larger finds.

Will be out tomorrow using the T2/NEL Storm combination on a roman sites,mainly for the ground coverage but wont miss on the small coinage either.
November 25, 2017 09:30PM
The detech 13in ultimate is a beast on the omega.
November 25, 2017 09:57PM
I think I read a post by Kieth Southern who talked about the Omega with the ultimate 13 also. It was a while back but I think it was on this forum. Try a search. I think he said it was very deep.
November 25, 2017 10:06PM
My finding is once you get to a certain size, they kind of level out and you don't gain any more on small coin size objects. I've found the 12x13 size to be about the peak size for most VLF machines, no matter the brand. I think the NEL/Cors coils are shielded better against EMI and falsing over their Ultimate counterparts
November 25, 2017 11:55PM
I just put up a nice NEL 12x13 Tornado for sale today that will work on your Omega..
The NEL Tornado is my favorite aftermarket big Coil.
One stays on my E-Trac for probably 90% hunting..
Bryan

[www.treasureclassifieds.com]
November 26, 2017 01:06AM
In nearly all cases...... there's no additional gain (depth-wise) on a dime....... when you go bigger than 11" coils.
November 26, 2017 01:57AM
The last thing I want to do is disagree with Tom D in public but a 12x13 Tornado coil
is no doubt deeper on a dime then the stock 11" coil on the E-Trac in my location..
I can't speak for other Detectors in other locations because I haven't really tested them like I have the E-Trac..
I'm kind of obsessed with depth and have been through most coils made for the E-Trac.
The 15" Coiltek is even deeper, but barely and wasn't worth the weight to use it.

Bryan
November 26, 2017 02:37AM
I didn't run the Tornado on my eTrac but did have the Ultimate which is the same size as the Tornado. On the eTrac, I agree that it puts it on a whole different level for coins. I had a super tough time deciding on whether to keep the eTrac with that coil or keep the CTX. I went with the CTX for water hunting purposes but if I was just chasing deep silver and coins, I would have been happier with the eTrac and that coil size. Super combo.
November 26, 2017 06:38AM
I prefer a large coil for most of my permissions, there nearly all open fields that don't get ploughed, so 12"-13" coils options on every detector i've owned.
Some of these detectors found very little in depth but you had more ground coverage and a stronger signal nearer it's depth limit.
Saying that, i have bought a 2 freq 13" coil for my Signum mfd, running 6khz and 13khz, (the Signum's no slouch with stock 11" coil, being deeper than an Etrac with stock coil) and i've been trying different settings for best depth in my test pit, using stock coil vs larger coil.
Without a doubt it's deeper, and easily the best depth gain i've had from a stock coil vs large coil.
November 26, 2017 10:15AM
The Mars Tiger coil is my favorite aftermarket pick.

large coils

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
November 26, 2017 11:33AM
With more soil being processed and in trash and such.... it could well get less.
November 26, 2017 03:01PM
tabman
On dime and quarter size targets just how much more depth does a larger search coil give you, since larger search coils tend not to hit so well on smaller targets?
Too many variables to try and provide a definitive number or percentage of increased depth. You are correct that the larger the search coil size, the less detectability there will be for smaller-size coins such as the USA dime or penny. Sometimes, with the trend over the past 15-20 years for manufacturers to produce new detectors with larger-size search coils as 'standard' I have witnessed some decline in performance with some makes and models and different search coils.

So coin size can make a difference with a change in search coil size.

But let's not forget coin type or metal make-up, such as a US 5¢ coin (thicker than the smaller coins and made up of 75% Copper and 25% Nickel) can often provide a little better / stronger response and respond a bit better at slightly better depth than the smaller-size coins and even a larger-size 25¢ coin.

There will be differences between detectors, even if using the exact same or very similar size and type search coil, based upon the detector's circuitry design, function settings, and even the operating frequency, to name just three topics to consider. Detector & Coil performance can be quite a study when evaluating a variety of makes and models for different types of hunt site environments (ground mineralization, dense to loose and fluffy soil, dryness to wetness, texture such as sand, soil, pea gravel or rocks, etc.),. Also to be factored in is the ability to achieve detection depth based upon the amount of, and close positioning of, surface/shallow trash at a site, be it non-ferrous foil, pull tabs or screw caps or annoying ferrous debris such as nails, rusty tin and the like.

That's why I have enjoyed keeping at least two-to-four detectors in my personal arsenal with a selection of search coils to help tackle different challenges afield. In the end we each have to determine which detector, or detectors, seem to 'fit' us for comfort and performance for the kinds of hunting we like to do and the sites we like to visit the most. I am sure there will be some readers who use, or have used, the detector you own and have also tried to achieve a comfortable, functional choice of detectors and coils for depth performance .... but a dozen of them might likely end up with at least a half-dozen different results and answers for you.

tabman
I'm using the stock 10 inch elliptical search coil on my Omega 8000 v6 now, but I'm considering getting a larger search coil for it. Right now I can get 7 to 8 inches on a dime in my mild ground. Taking into consideration EMI and separation, what's a good brand and size search coil to use for dime and quarter size targets?

tabman
Are you referring to the 'standard' 10" Concentric coil (about 5½X9¾)? I had that coil on all four of my Ver. 4 Teknetics Omega 8000's and one Ver. 5, and initially I thought it might make a very good general-purpose Coin Hunting coil. It wasn't bad, and I was impressed by the fact that my V.4 Omega 8000's, using that Concentric coil, provided me more consistent TID's on mid-depth to deeper targets than any of my Tek. T2's with the 'standard' 7X11 DD coil. pinpointing was just a little more difficult due to the elongated Tx and Rx coil design, but it was just a bit better than a similar-size DD coil ... and a little deeper as well.

One day a friend wanted to try that coil on his Gamma, so I loaned it to him and I mounted the round 8" Concentric off of a Tek. Delta as we worked an older park. Out away from the trashy picnic area we had the opportunity to maybe find some older and deeper coins due to the long life of leaf drop and general decay and build-up of the soil. Cross checking several targets I noticed some performance differences and later when I had my 10" Concentric coil back I used it and the round 8" Concentric on the same Omega 8000 at a few places, from city parks and schools to two ghost towns a four or five homesteads.

The results? The round 8" Concentric was much easier and faster when Pinpointing located targets. The 8" Concentric produced slightly tighter TID's in trashier places. And more surprising, the 8" Concentric also gave me better responses, audio and visual, on deeper targets. Sometimes I had solid hits that the 10" elliptical Concentric either didn't respond to or just barely 'ticked' on some. I sold the 10" Concentric and used two coils on my Omega's after that ... the 8" Concentric and 5" DD. Oh, you might wonder about the 11" BiAxial (Double-D) coil and I tried it as well. It was sold faster than you could inflate and pop a balloon. I never liked the 11" DD on the Omega's, the G2's, T2's or F75's I owned, either. With all of them the TID's were more inconsistent than with any other coil I used on those models.

The Omega 8000's I used, the Ver. 4's, were some of my favorite urban Coin Hunting detectors. But if I was working a wide-open/spare-target site like the middle of a large city park or a plowed field, etc., I had other detectors I would rely on when I wanted better depth-of-detection performance.

With the Omega I only used the two coils mentioned most of the time, but I did also use the 5X10 elliptical DD and it worked OK, but didn't give me the depth where I hunted to match the 8" Concentric coil. I wouldn't shop for any coil greater than something in the 10" to 12" size if you're interested in finding smaller dimes and pennies. There is a trade-off that usually happens when you go larger than that where you'll get better depth on bigger-size targets but start to loose detection/responsiveness to smaller objects with most detector makes and models.

Monte
November 26, 2017 04:22PM
I think you really need to know the Etrac to get better depth with the 13 Ultimate.. I have seen a pro coil kick it’s butt
To me the Ultimate is the best coil for the Etrac
At least here in California!

Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In nearly all cases...... there's no additional ga
> in (depth-wise) on a dime....... when you go bigge
> r than 11" coils.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2017 04:23PM by mascard1.
November 26, 2017 06:23PM
Personally over the last few years i've been on a quest to find a detector that can have depth coupled with sensitivity to small mid conductor silver, in poor ground.

To find the small silver at depth I've had to match the target size, to coil size, to freq, to trash level, to iron level, detector power output, gain, sensitivity, detector filtering at depth and ground minerals, and probably other stuff i've forgotten, but to cut a long story short, you can use a large 13" size coil to find small silver much smaller/thinner than a dime at depth.

Monte Wrote:
There is a
> trade-off that usually happens when you go larger
> than that where you'll get better depth on bigger-
> size targets but start to loose detection/responsi
> veness to smaller objects with most detector makes
> and models.
>
> Monte
November 26, 2017 07:58PM
In my experience, I can say that the best results, without loss of depth for small purposes, have a coil of 13 inches.
November 27, 2017 12:59PM
Monte is right about the 8 inch round concentric search coil. I learned that years ago when I owned both the Omega and Gamma at the same time and doing some testing by switching search coils around. I'd be in hog heaven if NEL made a 9.5 inch round concentric search coil that would fit my Omega. Right now I'm leaning towards either the CORS Scout or NEL Hunter. The coil size is about right for my needs and from owning the NEL Sharpshooter I know it will be well shielded. Where I detect EMI is a major issue. Has anyone used these search coils or compared them to the Omega stock 11 inch DD search coil?

tabman
November 27, 2017 01:22PM
I nad a nel hunter on my F19 and it wasn't brilliant.

[youtu.be]
tabman Wrote:
> Monte is right about the 8 inch round concentric s
> earch coil. I learned that years ago when I owned
> both the Omega and Gamma at the same time and doin
> g some testing by switching search coils around. I
> 'd be in hog heaven if NEL made a 9.5 inch round c
> oncentric search coil that would fit my Omega. Rig
> ht now I'm leaning towards either the CORS Scout o
> r NEL Hunter. The coil size is about right for my
> needs and from owning the NEL Sharpshooter I know
> it will be well shielded. Where I detect EMI is a
> major issue. Has anyone used these search coils or
> compared them to the Omega stock 11 inch DD search
> coil?
>
> tabman
November 27, 2017 04:20PM
Have to take into consideration coverage vs. extra weight...as far as increased depth varies from area to area and coil in question...
November 29, 2017 04:59AM
For some reason, I have noticed that larger coils find more coins on edge. It was true of my Sov with 15" coil, my CZ-5 with the 10.5? coil, and some others...
November 29, 2017 05:20AM
I agree with you, Detectorist. It seems to me like I find more deep, on-edge coins with the 13" Ultimate than I do with smaller coils...

Steve