Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

magnet

Posted by markg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
magnet
October 29, 2012 08:49PM
Is this the kind of magnet Tom is always talking about?
Re: magnet
October 29, 2012 09:34PM
"this" ???
October 29, 2012 09:39PM
Mark is there a "link" missing?
October 29, 2012 10:59PM
[www.toolcentral.com]

Can't explain how that happened.
October 29, 2012 11:15PM
Those magnets are pretty small, only about 5" long.
They may have a 250 lb pull, but that's if it is squarely on a clean surface.
As a side note...if you did stick on a 250 lb object, does the operator have enough strength to pull the object out?

Most things you'll attract will be in the water & won't have that clean of surface.
If you are wanting to use it in wells, etc, those old large car speaker magnets works just as well for me,
and you can find them almost anywhere................see ya yardhunter
October 29, 2012 11:21PM
I was going to use it in the old school yards where they have dumped the coal waste for many years.
October 29, 2012 11:45PM
The magnet that Tom is using is for pit excavation not water. In areas where there is a hi concentration of iron, the neodymium magnet is fastened on to the end of a stick, as the pit is dug a detector is swung over the pile of removed dirt, the magnet is stuck in the dirt, it pulls out the iron, along with all the flecks. The idea is to remove all the iron up to around 2ft x 5ft. Hopefully after removing all the iron and digging, there are some nice non fe relics to be found in there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2012 11:56PM by Aaron.
October 30, 2012 01:55AM
markg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was going to use it in the old school yards
> where they have dumped the coal waste for many
> years.

Try checking out those magnets that roofers use. They look like those hand push lawnmowers from the 50's.
They are about 2' wide & on wheels....
Type ......Magnetic Push Broom pics ....... in google. You'll see a picture.
Maybe they will help.
Good luck.............see ya yardhunter
October 30, 2012 02:08AM
If this stuff is in the ground your still going to have to dig. The soil has to be broken up and loose for the magnet to work.
October 30, 2012 02:28AM
I have used this setup for dug dirt....

Dig a spot then throuw the dirt on the ground or tarp....

roll this magnet across to get the loose iron....

Then whatever attaches to the bottom...

Is easily removed by pulling the handle up....

I use it sometime's...I am thinking of modding it with super magnet's....to really get the smaller stuff..

Spread the dirt thin..the gap is only like 2 inches ....

I got mine at a discount tool shop for 29.00 buck's...I think it was Northern tool here locally...

I like the way you just pull the handle and the stuff is released...works well...

Roofers use them for picking up nails in driveway's...

Keith
October 30, 2012 02:53AM
Nice setup Keith.

Mines alittle different and excessive. I have a 700lb pull neodyminium super magnet epoxied on the end of my old hockey stick. The magnet is heavy, around 3lbs, but when using it you grip the about a third of the way down while the handle rests under your forearm. The things a beast however is very effective though extreme caution needs to be excersized while handling.
October 30, 2012 03:54AM
These things can crush your fingers (or other digits) when/if caught between iron/steel objects. My co-worker was moving two very large speaker magnets once and they snapped togather crushing his fingers. He had to use a screwdriver to pry them apart to get his fingers out! DO NOT use such a thing to retrieve metal objects (such as keys on keyrings) out of the gridded iron covers you find in the city. Those big deep holes in the ground very often have VERY high voltage lines in them.

Do not ask how I know this :-)
October 30, 2012 04:42AM
More than once I have been unfortunate enough to get my fingers caught between my shovel handle and super magnet while pit digging.
Not fun.