Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What a day.

Posted by ozzie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What a day.
November 12, 2012 11:28AM
A friend got permission to search a property and asked me to detect it with him. He wasn't sure the age of the house, but said it appeared to be old.

The place was vacant and in an older part of the small town. We arrived there and I saw a date on the gabel end of the stone house reading 1920, not real old, as I thought, Barber coin area.

The commuter train tracks were in the back about 120 yards away. Turning on the f-75 and his f-70, we got bad interference. We had to dumb down the units (hate doing that).

The area is historic, for one, Washington's troops were once in the area and two, Union soldiers had an encampment there in 1864.

When running the f-75 I felt something was wrong so I waved a coin over the coil and it wouldn't pick it up until almost touching the coil, great, cant have that. Went back to the truck and straped on the cz3d.

Long story short, in 4 hours I found 3 Barber quarters, 2 Barber dimes, 1 Merc, 2 Rosies, 1 Indian Head, 7 wheats, a button with an eagle holding an anchor w/13 stars and various other flat buttons and pins.

My buddy found an assortment of approx the same.

Not sure what's wrong with the 75, I havn't checked it out yet. I hope it's nothing serious. I need that machine for nail infested areas. My best silver day.
Re: What a day.
November 12, 2012 01:24PM
Congrats sounds fun!
November 12, 2012 01:24PM
Goes to prove we don't need different detectors just new spots to hunt...Tip of the hat to you and your buddy and do go back as you didn't get it all...
November 12, 2012 04:18PM
Well Dan, it's a good thing he brought ((2 different)) machines with him!

The F75 LTD/SE is verrrry funny machine, really temperamental. It's always a good idea to bring a backup especially when you bring the 75.

Congrats on the excellent hunt!
November 12, 2012 05:09PM
Absolutely a GREAT DAY!!!!! Congrats!!!! Glad ya had a back up machine!!!!! And a coin monster at that!!!!!
November 12, 2012 11:11PM
Thanks Guys, it was a blast.
November 13, 2012 12:04AM
Hey great hunt! I always take at least 1 backup and sometimes 2 just in case. Been using the F75SE as my number 1 and CZ3D and Couple coils for each and sometimes put the AT PRO as well.
Hope you have many more very good days!

ArtWI
November 13, 2012 12:11PM
If I didn't carry another machine that day, I would have been one deflated boy. I knew there were old coins there, I have never hunted a home like that and been skunked.

The cz is only a backup when hunting around nail areas. The f-75 is a backup when searching less trashy areas like farmfields.

I hunted an area about 15''x 40' before realizing the 75 wasn't working properly, if you know your machine you can tell somethings wrong. At first, I did find shallow targets a couple inches deep, after that only interference noise. Hopfully it's only silent masking due to the interference and not a faulty unit.

The cz was affected also, as the deepest coins were only about 6". There were larger targets that were deeper, like horseshoe pieces.

My first thought was to borrow a Minelab E-trac or a ML- SE with noise cancel, What do you guys think? Would they hunt better and deeper in a interference zone like that?
November 13, 2012 01:49PM
"The cz is only a backup when hunting around nail areas. The f-75 is a backup when searching less trashy areas like farmfields."

Ozzie are you sure you don't have it backwards? Usually you want to stay away from nail sites w the CZ.

I've never had interference issues w my ETRAC or CTX
November 13, 2012 03:25PM
Aaron, Yes, you are correct, but read my post again. Cz is a backup (stays in the truck) when detecting nail areas. The f-75 is a backup (stays in the truck) at farmlands.Sorry for the confusion.
November 13, 2012 03:33PM
No prob Oz, I agree the CZ is a around great back up machine