Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What's Your all-time favorite Detectors?

Posted by Harold,ILL. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: What's Your all-time favorite Detectors?
December 14, 2017 01:28AM
Yes Tom 1236 just plain Nice in iron!!

Funny how that Omega does not report some iron..Yet unmask well in it..

Never spent enough time on the coinstrike used it awhile but Iiked the Edge better...alot of people just dont know how deep that Edge will go..and unlock sites too!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 14, 2017 02:11AM
Keith

I found more fresh water gold jewelry with the 1236 than any other machine, Perhaps as much as all the rest combined!

Up here the Coinstrike could handle ground that killed the CZ-5. Notably certain types of gravels.

I think a lot of people considered the ID Edge as a toy detector. LOL One of a very few that will hit smaller gold chains despite it's low frequency..

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2017 02:19AM by Jackpine.
December 14, 2017 03:24AM
Another vote here for the Omega.....mine is a V-4
December 14, 2017 10:31AM
I think the Edge came at a bad time for Fisher. The Edge didn't gain a lot of traction and even when they come up for sale, they only bring a couple hundred bucks at most. A lot of people did not like the Coin and Gold Strike series, and that was followed by the Excel ID that had all the glitches and problems. The Edge came off the heels of that.

Another favorite of mine I forgot to mention was the Shadow X5. It doesn't get any love either. The internet forums and such were to blame for that. Some people just did not like Troy and done everything in their power to derail his train. I am currently looking for one of those too. They come and go (one on eBay now for too much $) on eBay and forums. I'm just waiting on the right one. I missed one on eBay the other day that went for $380 something. I was high bidder but it went off during the day when I had worked 13+ hours that night and was sleeping when I got outbid and couldn't retake it. NEL makes DD coils to fit them now. I am curious what one will do with a Tornado coil on it. Troy only made the 5x10 DD for it, the rest were concentric coils.
December 14, 2017 01:11PM
The one thing the Excel was good at was working around rusty old tin cans, however that was about it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
December 14, 2017 04:58PM
The Edge was a Good machine as had one for a short time. But two things I didn't like about it. First the Batteries were a Pain in the Arse to get out.
Second if You tapped the control box at all in would false? Maybe I had a lemon but heard others had same issue?
December 14, 2017 05:54PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Edge was a Good machine as had one for a short
> time. But two things I didn't like about it. First
> the Batteries were a Pain in the Arse to get out.
> Second if You tapped the control box at all in wou
> ld false? Maybe I had a lemon but heard others had
> same issue?

The falsing issue wasn't a big deal really. What really killed it sales wise IMO was the price. It was priced too high for what it was perceived as.

December 15, 2017 07:08AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> I think the Edge came at a bad time for Fisher. Th
> e Edge didn't gain a lot of traction and even when
> they come up for sale, they only bring a couple hu
> ndred bucks at most. A lot of people did not like
> the Coin and Gold Strike series, and that was foll
> owed by the Excel ID that had all the glitches and
> problems. The Edge came off the heels of that.
>
> Another favorite of mine I forgot to mention was t
> he Shadow X5. It doesn't get any love either. The
> internet forums and such were to blame for that.
> Some people just did not like Troy and done everyt
> hing in their power to derail his train. I am cur
> rently looking for one of those too. They come and
> go (one on eBay now for too much $) on eBay and fo
> rums. I'm just waiting on the right one. I misse
> d one on eBay the other day that went for $380 som
> ething. I was high bidder but it went off during
> the day when I had worked 13+ hours that night and
> was sleeping when I got outbid and couldn't retake
> it. NEL makes DD coils to fit them now. I am curi
> ous what one will do with a Tornado coil on it. T
> roy only made the 5x10 DD for it, the rest were co
> ncentric coils.

Sorry, Daniel, I hit the "report" button by mistake.

I agree 100% on the troy X5. Great depth and discrimination. Excelled at relic hunting. I once was out with Bebo from Virginia hunting a pounded Gen Grant camp site. Hotter than heck that day. I got a perfect zinc/Minnieball signal clear as day. Another guy in the group was a White's dealer and tried to get a signal like I got with his DFX. Nope. All he heard was iron, no matter what settings he used. Turns out that there was a 3" nail above the Minnie. The X5 all but ignored it. Later that day, I witnessed a 15" Minnie dug by Bebo using the all metal mode. I also loved how light it was.

Up until last year, Troy was able to refurbish the used X5s. Unfortunately, no more parts are available.
December 15, 2017 07:27PM
I found using energizers or Duracells was a non issue..it was the cheaper brand and or store brands that would swell as they discharged that could beocme lodged..

I had a couple of Edges and I modded them with an aluminum box I bent out on a brake to fit inside the housing...NO MORE FALSING..there was a huge capacitor that sits right on the back corner of the box and it was very easy to touch box or get close to box and it would cause it to beep...the shielding took care of it COMPLETELY ..

Edge found me this with 6 inch coil So I will never complain about it..plus lots of others keeper's..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 16, 2017 02:18AM
Cool find there Keith thumbs down
Re: What's Your all-time favorite Detector?
December 16, 2017 03:06AM
My all-time favorite is the Sovereign GT.
December 16, 2017 03:50AM
I had two mint Edge units. So lightweight, hard to part with them. They just didn't like Canadian clad coins that well as much as they liked the bottle caps. The small 6" coil was excellent and the large 10" coil went fairly deep on the beach.
Never had the falsing issues. Overall it did like finding coins on edge..LOL

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
December 16, 2017 09:40AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> I found using energizers or Duracells was a non is
> sue..it was the cheaper brand and or store brands
> that would swell as they discharged that could beo
> cme lodged..
>
> I had a couple of Edges and I modded them with an
> aluminum box I bent out on a brake to fit inside t
> he housing...NO MORE FALSING..there was a huge cap
> acitor that sits right on the back corner of the b
> ox and it was very easy to touch box or get close
> to box and it would cause it to beep...the shield
> ing took care of it COMPLETELY ..
>
> Edge found me this with 6 inch coil So I will neve
> r complain about it..plus lots of others keeper's.
> .
>
>
>
> Keith

Nice one Keith!

December 16, 2017 02:03PM
Enjoyed reading everyone's replies here. Especially knowing that there's some old pro's, who've "grown up" during the evolutions, and seeing many machines on many sites, for many years.

For me:

Yesteryear: Whites Eagle II SL . Great target ID. Quick response. Versatile. However: depth "lacking" as deeper machines were hitting the market. Also it's not a good wet salt beach machine sad smiley

Last 15-ish-yrs. to-present: Minelab Explorer II with sunray probe. Does 99% of all my hunting now.
December 16, 2017 03:17PM
jerryinin Wrote:
> Another vote here for the Omega.....mine is a V-4

A lot of people picked the Omega. Way to go Dave!

tabman
December 16, 2017 06:09PM
Old times: White's Coinmaster V Supreme. No disc, but the first one to work on a heavily mineralized virgin 80 year old amusement park picnic area, in the late 1960's No more digging hot rocks! Just Barbers, Indians, V's and up.

New times: Minelab GPX 5000, once I got the hang of it, I can use it anywhere. If they did not have that bit of iron disc that it is capable of, then the E trac would be my pick.
January 07, 2018 06:30AM
Fors CoRe
T2
Vaquero
LoboST
IDX PRO
January 07, 2018 08:02AM
Wow, so many were great.
I guess these were my primary/main 'go-to' units over the years...they've all produced lots of silver and gold (mostly silver).

In (rough) order of age/era (starting very early 70's):

A.H. Pro / Super Pro
Richard Ray Phantom
Garrett Master Hunter III
Teknetics Mark I
Whites Eagle II SL90
Wilson ATD
DFX
CZ3d
CoinStrike
V3i
CTX
GM5+ (current fave)

Except for the Garrett, I've still got them all...(and perhaps a "few" others.)
(Had to trade in the Garrett for the Mark 1...I believe the Mk1 was $750.00...a ton of money back then.)
smiling smiley
mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2018 08:09AM by Mike in CO.
January 07, 2018 12:35PM
Old times = Tesoro Bandido2 big box and Original Fisher Gold Bug.

Today = XP Deus, CTX 3030

All time favorite = Fisher CZ 6a
January 07, 2018 01:28PM
Last week I was trying to find some beach areas to hunt. In scoping out one of the more popular ones, I pulled in the parking lot and noticed there were 2 people down on the beach detecting. This particular beach gets hammered by detectorists...I normally don't even bother with it because they keep it pretty picked clean. Anyway I figured I would be friendly and go say hello to these people. When I get down to the beach and say hello, I see they are using a Fisher 1265-X. They told me they had just got it for Christmas from a friend of theirs that no longer detects. It was their first time using it and were quick to point out they didn't really know how to set it up or what they were doing. I told them I detect too and we talked a minute about that...then they asked me if I could show them how to use it. This so happened to be during our deep freeze and the ground was frozen....especially the sand and rocks just above the water line. These poor folks didn't have a digging tool...they had a metal spaghetti strainer they were intending to use as a sand sifter but couldn't because the ground was frozen.

Long story short...they had been trying to dig a signal and couldn't make head way with it. I went to my truck and got a digging tool and my pinpointer. Came back down to them and showed them how to pinpoint a target, and all that good stuff. Then I stand there and help them dig their first target metal detecting....a 10 k gold wedding band. It was like scratching off a winning lottery ticket for someone else. Haha. I told them congrats and wanted to join them but didn't want to intrude on them since the beach is small. It was a guy and girl about my age; I actually went to HS with the girl. The girl was using the detector. Anyway, I hand her their detector back and she walks about 3 or 4 steps from where the ring came from and gets another signal. I say "that sounds good there too, I'd dig that". So she pinpoints it, he uses my shovel to dig it with, and you wont believe what their next target was either. Another flippin ring. I'm convinced now that there is something to those 1200 series machines and gold jewelry. My dad's 1265 was a beast for it too, and I dug several when I had the 1266-X.

They left shortly after finding the 2nd ring....they weren't dressed for being out in the cold very long and the girl was about to freeze, so they left. I got my eTrac out of the truck and hunted the whole area they had just hunted, and only came up with a few deeper coins and one junk ring. I run the extensive nail pattern on the eTrac there, just to knock out small iron. I came back the next day with the T2 and skimmed over that same area. Did not find any coins or any rings but did dig several low conductive signals that rang out good on the T2 that I had missed on the eTrac. All were small split shot fishing sinkers.
January 07, 2018 04:00PM
deus
January 07, 2018 05:56PM
Started in 73 with the MetroTec

All time favorite: Garrett Deep Seeker---Found 100+ cannon projectiles from 6lb ball to 100 lb Parrot.Nothing like that deeeep hum of the ole Garrett when it went over that deeeep iron.

Current favorites: F75 and TDI Pro.
January 07, 2018 07:05PM
Today I mainly hunt with the XP Deus and Minelab Sovereign GT. My favorites for many years and my main detectors were the Whites 5900/6000's, the Minelab Sovereigns, Minelab Musky's and Mr. Bill modded Whites IDX Pro's. You don't see this one mentioned very often but I also had a very hot Gold Mountain King Cobra that I used quite a bit at my ghost town and logging camp sites.

January 12, 2018 07:34PM
Deus
January 12, 2018 09:36PM
Nice story Daniel!!

Ill add a Gold Mountain 1650 to the list ..That is if you get hold of a PROPER one.

Keith

-Nikola Tesla