Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I'm a Hoarder of Detectors. What to do?

Posted by Alpha Goat 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I'm a Hoarder of Detectors. What to do?
December 19, 2017 11:45AM
Considered Youtube Therapy but found it no help. With a multitude of high end detectors having their butts kicked by entry level models I'm at a watershed moment in my life. Dump the high enders or stay with the entry levels and older analog? I recently was given permission to detect an 1820 Historic home. No one was ever allowed to detect it prior. The ground is 3 bar dirt. I chose to use the F44. Made over 90% of the finds using it. Went back with A QXT with 6 inch coil and took out some more targets in the iron. Went back with T2, Racer2, Warrior AKA and found some very small non ferrous.Nothing else. Do I really need any more detectors. Yes just to prove a Theory. The Equinox will be tested on several permissions that have been pounded with entry level detectors. These are loaded with iron. So I expect targets should be easy to find. Well using the Deus NADA . Using the CTX NADA. Should be an interesting report.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2017 11:47AM by Alpha Goat.
Re: I'm a Hoarder of Detectors. What to do?
December 19, 2017 12:11PM
It has been the same way for me over the years. I have several early homesteads I hit with my Tesoros years ago that found me lots of good stuff but when I went back with more modern upgraded detectors like the Deus, CTX, Noktas, F75 etc very little was found, Tesoros cleared them out. I honestly believe in a heavy iron trash site, a good Tesoro with the 5.75 concentric coil is going to get you 99% of the worthwhile items, leaving one to wonder is all these high end machines worth it?lol
December 19, 2017 01:15PM
Has Deus and both HF coils been in the sites Alpha Goat?
With both coils run predominantly at 28.8 kHz.
I would never declare a site dead until they have been in there.
Yes I have a few sites ready for the Equinox.

But Equinox restricted to what size coil one can use.
We'll see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2017 01:17PM by Sod-buster.
December 19, 2017 01:29PM
Everyone is still waiting for that one detector that will get everything. Most detectors will get most targets. it's those last few that need all the other detectors. Lets see, $250 Tesoro, $2500 CTX. Boy, an extra $2300 for those last 10% of the targets (your numbers). You gotta really want those last few targets. You often hear folks say my CTX has paid for itself. Well the Tesoro owner would have paid of their detector many, many times over. I've only got ten detectors, waiting on number eleven to be released. It's a sickness!smileys with beer
December 19, 2017 01:35PM
Welgund Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It has been the same way for me over the years. I
> have several early homesteads I hit with my Tesoro
> s years ago that found me lots of good stuff but w
> hen I went back with more modern upgraded detector
> s like the Deus, CTX, Noktas, F75 etc very little
> was found, Tesoros cleared them out. I honestly b
> elieve in a heavy iron trash site, a good Tesoro w
> ith the 5.75 concentric coil is going to get you 9
> 9% of the worthwhile items, leaving one to wonder
> is all these high end machines worth it?lol

x2! I've always found better stuff using a Tesoro. Everyone should have at least one Tesoro in their detector arsenal, especially if they're into relic hunting.

tabman
December 19, 2017 01:40PM
Maybe I need to look closer at the Tesoros...
December 19, 2017 03:18PM
Tom Slick Wrote:
> Everyone is still waiting for that one detector th
> at will get everything. Most detectors will get mo
> st targets. it's those last few that need all the
> other detectors. Lets see, $250 Tesoro, $2500 CTX.
> Boy, an extra $2300 for those last 10% of the targ
> ets (your numbers). You gotta really want those la
> st few targets. You often hear folks say my CTX ha
> s paid for itself. Well the Tesoro owner would hav
> e paid of their detector many, many times over. I'
> ve only got ten detectors, waiting on number eleve
> n to be released. It's a sickness!smileys with beer

You said it Tom. After nearly 40 years in the hobby and having owned a couple dozen different high-end mostly detector models over that time, I couldn't agree more. I peaked at about 15 detectors owned at one time several years ago, but now I'm down to three: V3i, MXT, and XL Pro, because they will get 99% of the targets and are inexpensive and fun to use. Detecting success is almost entirely about location and operator skill; any decent detector will do.
December 19, 2017 03:29PM
From my POV, I'd say the Equinox w/6" coil, should deliver more?

But, I remember chasing an alleged gold ring loss in a nightmarish grassed area full up of coke laden soil.
Every detector and coil combo was used there and eventually it reached the stage where no new real non ferrous targets [ could be heard ]

Introducing the CTX to the area it was the same story with standard 11" coil, but 'I thought I could hear a non ferrous' there? So with the 6" coil on it definitely 'enhanced' the audio and yes, I could hear non ferrous there!

Digging produced 3 targets layered on top of each other: a small rusty nail: a piece of coke: a button or something NF (can't remember exactly?)

BUT, 'fast fwd' several years and introducing the 'red Racer' to the area it brought it alive and with the small 5.5" OOR coil (out of round, due to its not perfectly round shape) that combo 'smoked' the CTX 6" combo and my jaw hit the floor!!!

So, anything could happen really?"
December 19, 2017 03:49PM
BIG PAPA Wrote:
> Maybe I need to look closer at the Tesoros...

Only if you live miles from me and don't detect in my neck of the woods. Just one day's finds more than paid for the detector. LINK

tabman
December 19, 2017 04:16PM
Hunting using multiple detector models hunting a site.

Lots of duplication being done by user.

Coil sizes, different does offer some variance.

Hunting an old site, depending is like playing the lottery.

The actual detecting scenario has to be a certain way for one detector model to take advantage of.

The way a detector reports tonally, not all are created equal here.

If a person is in to volume of finds, just keep hunting in new to you sites.
Will you be successful?
The user will have to decide what they call success.

A user does have to have multiple sites to hunt for this seemingly volume find goal.
Could cause a person to travel farther and farther.

The easily detected stuff.
Is this really challenging?

I use a few different models, mood and site dependent.

One thing I notice.
You use a detector for 4-5 hours.
Lay it down and fire up another.
Brain is fried.
Takes some getting used to.
Makes me feel a bit uncomfortable.
Music being played hard to compute.
Hard to run what I call on the edge moreso.
Even using same detector different coil at times.

But, it only takes one find for a person to at least think they are doing the right thing(s).
Look at the gent who found the Gold coins, etc. as of late.

He could have very well left the site after finding a couple gold coins,,tickled to death thinking he was on cloud nine, he had accomplished his goal.
Layed his head down that night on his pillow feeling grand.

But some thing different happened.

Wonder if the gent wouldn't have found the additional gold coins, and another peron in coming days would have discovered.
And revealed the actual location of the multi gold coin discovery.
Then how would this gent who posted initially feel?

We don't know what we don't know.
As far as what is in the ground under our coils many times.

Remember the poster here who had the "coffee can" size sounding thingy under their PI detector coil?
Thinking no way it was gold.
Then here comes the lesser experienced PI detector user and gets his coil over it, digs and PRESTO= big gold nugget.

We should all learn from others' successes and failures.

Ever notice how many great finds have " catches" in their actual circumstance of finding.
Think about that when you are in the field detecting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2017 04:22PM by Sod-buster.
December 19, 2017 04:18PM
In my particular spot for hunting, I've used several "high end" detectors. Going back in with the Nautilus 2b one day, I found 8 IH pennies some bullets and other stuff. Best coin day ever!
December 19, 2017 04:27PM
I am down to 3 Detectors Myself.
Etrac,CZ-3D,and Golden uMax.
I took the Golden to sites I pounded with other two and came up with a Walker and Franklin half,Barber Quarter. None of the Coins was that deep and not masked bad but close by ferrous objects?
I came to the conclusion there is something to these little Tesoro's.
December 19, 2017 05:44PM
I wish some company would bring back the Troy Shadow X5. Super light and deep. Would still be a top relic detector today.
December 19, 2017 06:17PM
I'm actually in search of a Troy X5 if anybody has one or knows where one might be. I wont pay the price of a used eTrac for one though.

I'm down to 3 detectors myself. I have the T2 SE which gets the bulk of my use for general scouting and relic hunting. I have the eTrac which I only have as a special use unit for when I do decide to go after easy coins. I know I run a large risk of missing masked coins but in most cases I don't have long to hunt and or don't have the luxury of digging a bunch of signals so I'm after the easy peesy ones. Down to 6 inches or so I'm good with it. Then there's the Minelab Musketeer Advantage. Again, a niche machine. I like it for relics in some sites. Similar to the Sovereign in that it likes big brass and locks onto it great and seems to handle bad soil pretty good too. Not as deep of a machine as some others in good soil but holds its own in bad soil.
December 19, 2017 07:51PM
+3

Looking to acquire a Troy Shadow 5 (and a 3 and extra coils) in the next few months.

Probably, the most comfortable grip and handle angle I've yet come across.
Similarly, before the Terra's came out, the 5 was the fastest VLF on dry sand beaches.
Typically on a small size beach cove I worked across it with pull tab rejection and got most of the high cond coins.
Then back tracked with Low disc to get the bling'
That strategy worked.
December 19, 2017 08:15PM
Sod-buster Wrote:
> Has Deus and both HF coils been in the sites Alpha
> Goat?
> With both coils run predominantly at 28.8 kHz.
> I would never declare a site dead until they have
> been in there.
> Yes I have a few sites ready for the Equinox.
>
> But Equinox restricted to what size coil one can u
> se.
> We'll see.

No.But when the Nox does arrive I will borrow my friends HF.
December 19, 2017 09:13PM
Tom Slick Wrote:
> Everyone is still waiting for that one detector th
> at will get everything. Most detectors will get mo
> st targets. it's those last few that need all the
> other detectors. Lets see, $250 Tesoro, $2500 CTX.
> Boy, an extra $2300 for those last 10% of the targ
> ets (your numbers). You gotta really want those la
> st few targets. You often hear folks say my CTX ha
> s paid for itself. Well the Tesoro owner would hav
> e paid of their detector many, many times over. I'
> ve only got ten detectors, waiting on number eleve
> n to be released. It's a sickness!smileys with beer

I paid $1300 for my F75 LTD back in 2009 when it was released, add another $300 for the LTD2 "upgrade". Honestly, even though I've found a lot of stuff with that detector, I'm not really sure it ever paid for itself, and I haven't been able to bring myself to sell it given FTP's fire sale prices on the new F75+/LTD2. Now mine is now worth about the same as a used Mojave angry smiley

My CZ70 paid it's way. My Red Racer, Racer 2 and Impact have all paid for themselves, and in relatively short order.

I'm hoping that future releases, be it from ML or anyone else that steps up to the plate with a new tool, will help unlock sites I enjoy detecting, paving the way for new finds, if not, I'm pretty happy with what I have in the stable now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2017 12:16AM by Cal_cobra.
December 19, 2017 09:56PM
+4 on the Shadow X5

but, trying to find one in excellent cond. with 2 or 3 coils is nearly impossible these days and especially for a decent/fair market price.

Seems guys think they're worth more now than when new!

I seen one on feebay last week with only 1 coil sell for way too much $$ [N4AAOSwjiZaJJXq" rel="nofollow">www.ebay.com]

no way I'm paying those prices for units you can't get parts for/send in to be worked on with one lousy coil confused smiley

May just have to pickup a Pirate Pro II with a couple coils instead!
December 19, 2017 10:11PM
Did you all try the Impact on your worked out sites ? from watching the Hoover boys cleaning up with the Impact getting dozens of coins and other non ferrous vs the F75 getting ZERO coins it seems the Impact has the magic sauce on that kind of site [www.youtube.com]
December 19, 2017 11:52PM
Yes the Racers and Impacts Des really talk to you on Co Locates..

Paints a picture of the targets in your mind through the Audio!

That's the thing that impresses me the most about them and always has since the CoRe model...The ability to audibly tell you there's more to be heard than a beep..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 19, 2017 11:54PM
Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery Tex..grinning smiley

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 20, 2017 12:00AM
The X5s come and go in packs. Seems like when someone lists one for sale, other people see it and decide to sell theirs too so there will be a little flurry of them for sale.

I am super curious to see what those NEL coils bring to the table with the X5. I can only imagine what an X5 with a Tornado coil on it could do.
December 20, 2017 12:13AM
I've heard Troy no longer works on them as of last year..

So the prices may drop off..

X5 is one of the best DEEEP silver VLFs I've ran in my soil...

Troys Boost amp on high conductors integrated into the 19khz unit was no joke..

Even Dave Johnson who worked on the unit said Troy did that after the unit was near completion and he had left and was not sure what he actually did..

Whatever it was that thing would lock on a piece of deep silver.Dug a few Barber/Seated coins with mine I would of swore that were not there and I had hunted those sites for decades..

I dug a barber quarter once in a house site that never had produced a coin at a clean 11 inches..Sounded sweet...and that thing Loves Silver dimes ten inches deep..Heck it airtest them like no other...And digs them like that too.

Too bad he never made the-------- what was it X8 he had planned??

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
December 20, 2017 01:11PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Admitting you have a problem is the first step to
> recovery Tex..grinning smiley
>
> Keith

Top shelf Bourbon is my second! drinking smiley
December 21, 2017 03:21PM
Simple send them my way....might help your addiction..Cetainly give you more closet space.......
December 21, 2017 04:18PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
> Simple send them my way....might help your addicti
> on..Cetainly give you more closet space.......

No CZs Dan,Dan..... Ha!