Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How Much Money Have You Spent

Posted by Mickie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
December 22, 2017 12:19AM
Since you started metal detecting on all items related to this hobby...Like seller fee's, packing items, postage, items you did not need but purchased with the thought of maybe sometime it would come in handy, items you gave away because you are a good person and on and on...Maybe enough to purchase a mid size vehicle???????????.
Re: How Much Money Have You Spent
December 22, 2017 12:28AM
More then found but it's a hobby not in it for the money..ten thousand ball park guess

Cheers
December 22, 2017 12:44AM
Over 20G easy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2017 12:46AM by Diggs4ever.
December 22, 2017 12:48AM
If I put down a number and my wife somehow came across it . . . . . . . thumbs up

Rich

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
December 22, 2017 01:25AM
Astronomical amount of money over the years,but i still enjoy using all my detectors and equipment,so for that reason you just cannot quantify the price to pleasure ratio,only ever sold one detector in all the years and that was a brand new Troy X5 but was lucky broke even on that deal 10 years back.Still have a amazing detecting arsenal that i do use for site specific use.

No pockets in shrouds as the old saying goes,enjoy it while i am alive rather that let others enjoy it after i have gone too the great detecting graveyard in the sky.
December 22, 2017 01:27AM
Right at $60,000 + or - a few bucks.-----But that's purchases for two people as my wife & I both detect.-----Rotten thieves helped their selves & robbed us of $8,000 of detectors & equip. last January (have since been replaced).----------Del
December 22, 2017 01:27AM
If I add it up and reality sets in I'll need meds. I met some great people through the hobby. It helped me with social disorders like knocking on doors. Every hole is like a Christmas present until you find the target. Some things you just can't put a price on.
December 22, 2017 01:45AM
Between coin and prospecting detectors, maybe $20K. (good lord, did I just say that?) Heck, I spent $5k this summer.
But I got $72 in clad, OK?
December 22, 2017 02:38AM
$25K
December 22, 2017 02:47AM
As I tell my wife, ah, not that much! HH jim tn
December 22, 2017 04:23AM
If the Nox has good reviews that could open up old sites may spend more but only if good reviews plenty of fish in the sea.

cheers
December 22, 2017 07:59AM
Probably 3-5 grand.
December 22, 2017 11:42AM
Close to 150K over many years!
December 22, 2017 12:05PM
More than I want to say. Its a hobby.
December 22, 2017 09:13PM
$2500 including sale of used detectors not counting the value of finds.
December 22, 2017 10:33PM
my money 0, money spent about 5,000 bucks, money dug about 10,000 over 18 years, just the clad, bought only 8 detectors , won 2 in raffles, gave 3 away, bottle dug for 25 years, have 2000 bottles in my cellar, I estimate with silver and gold dug, it's about 50,000 but I would have to sell it or melt it, if you add gas or batteries, I still don't spend much, I stop home on my way home from work and I only hunt for 2 hour a day, so my batteries last a long time, my farthest hunt site is 10 miles from my house, I don't go on the "hunts" because I don't have time, and I have to take care of my daughter, I haven't been on a vacation in almost 15 years, so when I do get out to go hunting it's like sex, maybe I should only go hunting for 15 minutes hehe
December 22, 2017 10:36PM
I'd say about $1,100 but that may double in 2018.
December 22, 2017 10:59PM
Somewhere between 5-10k. Includes giving away older detectors and gear that I know I wont use again.
But as mentioned above, the joy to dollars ratio is very hi.
December 22, 2017 11:03PM
Alpha Goat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Close to 150K over many years!

150k man you must be older then dirtgrinning smiley

oj/bc4me
December 22, 2017 11:44PM
A) This is a heck of a time to ask.
cool smiley Less than therapy or surgery or Jay Leno spends on his hobby.
C) Its not like you can take it with you and my wife and kids will be cared for.
D) If I didn't my wife would just waste it on bills and the mortgage.
E) My sanity means a lot to me.

Oh, how much? Well most of what I have I bought used or on sale so I actually saved more than I spent so lets just call it even.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
December 22, 2017 11:47PM
Pasttom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A) This is a heck of a time to ask.
> cool smiley Less than therapy or surgery or Jay Leno spends
> on his hobby.
> C) Its not like you can take it with you and my w
> ife and kids will be cared for.
> D) If I didn't my wife would just waste it on bill
> s and the mortgage.
> E) My sanity means a lot to me.
>
> Oh, how much? Well most of what I have I bought u
> sed or on sale so I actually saved more than I spe
> nt so lets just call it even.

Sounds like a plan to me Tom!
December 23, 2017 12:21AM
Waaaaaay too much but can't take it with you!

conservatively, averaged out since 1977 (40 yrs now) = around $3000 per yr

that's anything from $500/$600 per yr (early yrs)

to

$5000/$6000 or more per yr

with all sums in between along the way

machines
coils
carry cases
pouches
diggin tools
water scoops
pinpointers
shipping cost for buy/sell/trade
scuba equipment
kayaks/canoes and rel equip

on and on!
December 23, 2017 11:11AM
I hardly spend for myself.....or anyone else for that matter......except on the wifey, I'll hand over a few shekels to buy for her.
I was brought up where every penny counted. Wasting anything irritates me, especially food......can't help it.

My pops hardly ever bought new and he always tried to fix whatever broke down.....always working on his used car. Back in the 50's 60's the cars were always breaking down or leaking fluids on the driveway.....every driveway had a huge oil spot, remember that?

Maybe my forum name should be changed to 'skinflint or tightwad'.

I may though, have to get a better unmasker because Rodman is whooping my but on finds lately......don't want him to get too uppity.
December 23, 2017 03:26PM
"I really don't wanna know how much I've spent thru the years?

After the 'initial' few hundred buying the first detector, there followed the REAL CRUX of this hobby!

The 'additional spend' on suitable hardware i.e. Headphones, digging tools, boots, wet/rough gear etc (pin point probes weren't around when I started out)

Then, there were the magazine's! I had all the major ones on standing order from my local newsagent! The ones I couldn't get, I traded for them with a guy in the UK. He sent one every month, he got two from me every month ( this went on for years )

Then as a local dealer for Tesoro the spent increased as I bought stock a few times per year.

Then there were 'the vehicles', to get you in and out of the sites! Several Honda & Suzuki 4 X 4's required ( now looking at a 2018 Subaru Crosstrek )

Then came the desire to produce 'documentary film' and the guts of $11,500 spent there on camcorders, tripods, batteries, microphones, computers to edit on, film edit software, Royalty Free music, more 'special effect' software ( that somehow now does not work on my new iMac bought for editing?) and will be soon buying another 'GoPro', the Session model.

And I'm looking to buy yet more gear in 2018 when I visit Florida and hit "Dick's Sporting Goods" to look for yet more 'comfortable clothing', and the purchase of an 'Equinox!'
But to be fair, the one thing I haven't had to buy for the past 18 years are the actual detectors (except for older/vintage models I wanted to try again!)

So the 'spend' goes on!!!"

Des D
December 23, 2017 03:36PM
When you are lying incapacitated in a nursing home, thinking back on your life, which memories will make you smile? Finding that AU seated dime eight inches deep in an old park on a cool October afternoon? The flash of gold in the bottom of a sand scoop as you stand waist-deep in the Gulf of Mexico one fine morning in May? The camaraderie of you and your hunting buddies on a long June day as you drive from small town to small town down a rural highway, digging coins from ball fields, parks and school yards at almost every stop? Or the day you stayed home and watched TV reruns because you wanted to save a few bucks for your heirs?
December 23, 2017 05:08PM
I spend a lot less on Metal Detecting than I do on golf or when I used to fish (boat, motor, trailer, gear, bait, licenses, insurance, etc.). And it wasn't about the fish or I would have gone to the grocery store for that.
I get the same enjoyment from MD as I did fishing.
December 23, 2017 07:01PM
jak135
I spend a lot less on Metal Detecting than I do on golf
Same here.

I have a yearly $500-$1000 annual budget for golf equipment and gadgets, not counting greens fees which certainly exceed that amount. Don’t ask me how many shafts I have for my Taylormade M1 driver.

It’s just another hobby. Plus, it’s that much less eventually going to my daughter-in-law...
December 23, 2017 07:09PM
If you can call riding a motorbike a hobby, spend 12k every few years warranty runs out, though modern bikes are very reliable.

edit: and that is only for the summer season get's called other months....not to mention ice forget the cell phones and distracted drivers.

ps cold

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2017 07:16PM by guvmore.
December 23, 2017 07:53PM
cz5, cz70, f75, explorer se, etrac, g2, ctx, g2+, R2......

I'm positive $'wise overall by far what with selling them used (only have g2+ now) and including my clad/jewelry finds $$$....what a great hobby that pays!

$'s are ready to go for the pickup of my EQ800 when they arrive late January/eary February most likely......

and will likely sell that for the EQ1000(?) with fe/co vid....in what, 4 years maybe?

cheers and happy holidays

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2017 01:32AM by canslawhero.
December 23, 2017 08:08PM
Detecting is cheap compared to my bass fishing phase I went thru several years ago. $40k bass boat with two 20 gallon gas tanks in it that at least 1 had to be filled every trip to the lake, $3,000 worth of sonar electronics on it, about a dozen rod/reel combos at about $300-400 each. Two or 3 compartments full of tackle and baits...some of those crankbaits and such are $20 a pop and I had several whole cases full of them that held 20 or more in it. $200 Costa sun glasses. The list goes on and on.

Bowling was the cheapest hobby I've ever done. $150 for a good ball. $20 for my own shoes. Good to go.