Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Will Wally boot me ?

Posted by Dirtmover 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Will Wally boot me ?
December 22, 2017 01:11PM
What's your guess on whether or not Wally will boot me when he returns ? There will be no hard feelings,as always ,if he does. I certainly don't plan on changing my ways if I stay.
Re: Will Wally boot me ?
December 22, 2017 01:15PM
Its probably another bye, bye. HH jim tn
December 22, 2017 01:44PM
Going into my long winter hibernation. Good luck!
December 22, 2017 04:44PM
I'm not booting anybody but there are a few postings that violate the 'terms of use that I'll have to delete. Just try to play nice and respectfully disagree. Try to use a little Irish diplomacy.
December 22, 2017 04:51PM
December 22, 2017 06:14PM
wildwally1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm not booting anybody but there are a few postin
> gs that violate the 'terms of use that I'll have t
> o delete. Just try to play nice and respectfully
> disagree. Try to use a little Irish diplomacy.

With all due respect. Members can insult other members for days on and it's a slap on the wrist.

Well fine then the user agreement is TOTAL nonsense. I do appreciate the time to check forums but rules or rules.

I reacted badly to a post and would not expect any less.

Cheers
December 22, 2017 06:50PM
The only reason I come to this Forum is because we can speak our minds without Companies that pay for adds controlling what we say.
If messages start getting Deleted and the Nazi mods come out like on Findmall then I will not have a reason to come here anymore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2017 08:46PM by GreenMeanie.
December 22, 2017 07:00PM
GreenMeanie Wrote:
> The only reason I come to this Forum is because we
> can speak our minds without Companies that pay for
> adds controlling what we say.
> If messages start get Deleted and the Nazi mods co
> me out like on Findmall then I will not have a rea
> son to come here anymore.

I totally get your point, GreenMeanie. Free speech, and expecting adults to be "adult enough" to police themselves, is something I am fully supportive of.

But, at the same time, I also respect, and can relate to, the sentiments of those who have been here a long time (ones who have always appreciated the "higher end" discussions, in terms of detecting, detector performance, etc.), who are at this point becoming exasperated with not only having to skip past countless threads of nothing but nonsense, but also having to wade through the increasing volume of "garbage" posts within legitimate threads. It makes for tedious reading, and eventually diminishes the value of the forum as those who grow weary of the nonsense begin to stay away.

Have you noticed how few posts have been made by NASA-Tom lately? Coincidence? Maybe...maybe he's just busy. But he's just one example. The quality of information to be found here recently has drastically diminished. Some of the nonsense going on is -- in my opinion -- more appropriate for an elementary-school playground, than the Dankowski forum.

Steve
December 22, 2017 07:16PM
Maybe Wally is feeling the Christmas Spirit and is going to let you stay for awhile Gary?!?
December 22, 2017 07:18PM
GreenMeanie Wrote:
> The only reason I come to this Forum is because we
> can speak our minds without Companies that pay for
> adds controlling what we say.
> If messages start get Deleted and the Nazi mods co
> me out like on Findmall then I will not have a rea
> son to come here anymore.

Free speech is not a right to abuse, I don't like posts deleted but this is a family type forum also and no need for insults.
Sure there are some class clown posts but it's winter could be cabin fever.

I agree this is a unique info based forum and wish it success, even if most threads our above my head to understand.
A little humor does not hurt.
December 22, 2017 07:34PM
I am a member of about a dozen forums, but don't check in on most daily, this one I do. I can filter what I don't like on my own. I do get tired of bashing and hostility (waste of time). I'd love to see more posting from NASA Tom, but I am far from dropping out. I think Wally is an unsung hero.
Just my 2 wheaties. HH & HNY!
Happy Christmas!
PastTom

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
December 22, 2017 07:36PM
steveg Wrote:
> GreenMeanie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The only reason I come to this Forum is because
> we
> > can speak our minds without Companies that pay f
> or
> > adds controlling what we say.
> > If messages start get Deleted and the Nazi mods
> co
> > me out like on Findmall then I will not have a r
> ea
> > son to come here anymore.
>
> I totally get your point, GreenMeanie. Free speec
> h, and expecting adults to be "adult enough" to po
> lice themselves, is something I am fully supportiv
> e of.
>
> But, at the same time, I also respect, and can rel
> ate to, the sentiments of those who have been here
> a long time (ones who have always appreciated the
> "higher end" discussions, in terms of detecting, d
> etector performance, etc.), who are at this point
> becoming exasperated with not only having t
> o skip past countless threads of nothing but nonse
> nse, but also having to wade through the in
> creasing volume of "garbage" posts within [
> b]legitimate[/b] threads. It makes for tedious re
> ading, and eventually diminishes the value of the
> forum as those who grow weary of the nonsense begi
> n to stay away.
>
> Have you noticed how few posts have been made by N
> ASA-Tom lately? Coincidence? Maybe...maybe he's
> just busy. But he's just one example. The qualit
> y of information to be found here recently has dra
> stically diminished. Some of the nonsense going o
> n is -- in my opinion -- more appropriate for an e
> lementary-school playground, than the Dankowski fo
> rum.
>
> Steve

Who is to say what post is garbage? Not me. Yet I see a lot of things that don't concern me, but I just skip over them, just like Wally has asked us to do. Not every post on here is going to be the stuff we dream about, nor should it. If someone wants to post how his dog is feeling today, let them. just don't read it.
December 22, 2017 07:39PM
Kemper gets a pass, Wally must be reeling in the holiday cheer drinking smiley
December 22, 2017 08:10PM
SeabeeRon Wrote:
> Maybe Wally is feeling the Christmas Spirit and is
> going to let you stay for awhile Gary?!?

Apparently ,and like I said here and previously - I have no hard feelings. I haven't spoken to him in private and there was no need to. While there is a lot of technical stuff on this forum,most of which is way over my head, it is a metal detecting forum and they welcome all metal detecting topics. Any topic can become a heated debate and escalate to name calling,cursing,insulting ect. Those terms are not always easy to define. When someone gets called out by authority it's usually easy to look around and say - what about so-and-so.

If a person looks at rules on various forums they will see that a high number of posts would be against the rules depending on how they were interpreted. A high number of members would be rule breakers. There has to be rules or a forum would become a free-for-all. Someone has to be the one to make a decision on what/when/how to enforce the rules without kicking half the people off the forum. I don't have to make those decisions and would have no expertise in doing so. I can't have hard feelings against those that have to make those decisions.

It's not always easy being a member either.
December 22, 2017 08:18PM
Aw, Kempys been a pretty good boy compared to some of us here lately (me for sure).------I'll bettcha Santa isn't even gonna bring me an Equinox now (belated or other wise)!-----Someone grin---QUICK!grinning smiley------------Del
December 22, 2017 08:22PM
December 22, 2017 08:46PM
steveg Wrote:

> But, at the same time, I also respect, and can relate to, the sentiments of those who have been here a long time (ones who have always appreciated the
> "higher end" discussions, in terms of detecting, detector performance, etc.), who are at this point becoming exasperated with not only having to skip past countless threads of nothing but
> nonsense, but also having to wade through the increasing volume of "garbage" posts within [> b]legitimate[/b] threads. It makes for tedious reading, and eventually diminishes the value of the
> forum as those who grow weary of the nonsense begin to stay away.
>
> Have you noticed how few posts have been made by NASA-Tom lately? Coincidence? Maybe...maybe he's just busy. But he's just one example. The quality of information to be found here recently has
> drastically diminished. Some of the nonsense going on is -- in my opinion -- more appropriate for an elementary-school playground, than the Dankowski forum.
>
> Steve

Steve that pretty much sums it up for me. I've enjoyed this forum for the technical enlightenment for years, but this year, the childish antics and garbage posts have reached an all time high, and as you pointed out [significantly] diminished the forum. I get that there can't always be new machines or technology to discuss, and people that live in the snow belt get cabin fever in the winter, so there are idle times, but geesh take the bs childish antics somewhere else, why ruin Tom and Wally's forum, and diminish it to the point of the same few people spewing out antics like a ten year old ?

It's like anything, a few rotten apples ruin it for everyone else, and because of that folks either go elsewhere, or rules are put in play to mitigate the bullshit.

There is another forum with good technical discussion, and without the childish bullshit that's been occurring on this forum lately.
December 22, 2017 08:52PM
Indeed there is, Cal_cobra, and as such it is seeing a disproportionate amount of my time that is spent on the forums...

I will continue to check in here, and when (if) the adolescent nonsense diminishes, I expect the forum to return to its traditionally high standards...

Steve
December 22, 2017 09:37PM
A quick boot in the rear should set us straight, thanks Wally...hope back to good old winter read.

Cheers
honey attracts more bee's then vineger
December 26, 2017 04:43AM
Wow. I go out of the Country for a short period of time...... and some fairly serious amount degradation to the quality of this forum takes place.

Dirtmover:

1. The very premise of your chosen title for this thread...... is rather negative-energy provocative.
2. This thread has nothing to do with the advancement (or any support....for that matter) of metal detecting.
3. The premise of this thread also implicates the subconscious request for a negative action.
4. Past performance history consistency.
5. This thread (and other posts) sure invoke 'flame'.

Yes....... it's winter time....... and the 'usual' amount of increased negative & positive energy (in the form of posts) ..... has taken set.

And........ what little time I have to post on this forum........ is taken/eaten up by responding to 'negative'. ((( Not the best utilization of my time-management. )))
December 26, 2017 07:54PM
Certainly not in the X-mas spirit!

I always buy a book round X-mas time,... if it doesn’t read and inspire,... just buy another.
Cranberrie sauce and turkey,... brings a smile to my face.
Walks through the snow are very humbling, chop some wood with an axe for a change,... sit and enjoy the midday sun all wrapped in your thermals.
Watch a little TV, listen to a few new kids on the block.

Recharge with positive energy,...

And if you can’t help yourself, push a few peoples buttons. They’ll oblige and push back.
Just make sure when you hit the brick wall, you’ve got your helmet on.

Kempy, this forum wouldn’t be open without you. But it does make for some akward reading.

HH
Johnb
December 26, 2017 08:07PM
Kemper has been a Good Boy as of late. Or should I say Kempy. Ha!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2017 08:23PM by Harold,ILL..