Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Grid markers for lot searching

Posted by Dirtmover 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Grid markers for lot searching
December 23, 2017 05:19PM
I've found that colored golf tees work good for markers when searching lots. I usually start at one edge of lot and lay them down occasionally as I go. On the return path I move them to the opposite side of my swing path. I know of nothing on the market ,but markers that could be picked up and moved with your coil seems like a good idea. Feel free to use my idea, but please name them after me if you decide to market them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2017 05:20PM by Dirtmover.
Re: Grid markers for lot searching
December 23, 2017 05:57PM
I made 2 lengths of that orange string (nylon) with 2 sharpened wooden stakes and then move them as I pace out an area.
Perfect for jewelery recoveries in yards or where you might get just one chance to hunt?
They're around 20' in length and you walk in the narrow lanes and keep moving the left one as you work.
Not an inch gets missed!
December 23, 2017 06:18PM
Des D Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I made 2 lengths of that orange string (nylon) wit
> h 2 sharpened wooden stakes and then move them as
> I pace out an area.
> Perfect for jewelery recoveries in yards or where
> you might get just one chance to hunt?
> They're around 20' in length and you walk in the n
> arrow lanes and keep moving the left one as you wo
> rk.
> Not an inch gets missed!

Not always practical such as in a park where one might want to stay low key. But, yeah that sounds good and would be easier to stay on line. One problem with the golf tees is they are hard to keep at the same distance.
December 23, 2017 06:31PM
Should We name it Kemper or Dirtmover? Ha!
December 23, 2017 06:48PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Should We name it Kemper or Dirtmover? Ha!

" Dirtmover " may not reflect high quality park protection. smiling smiley
December 23, 2017 06:52PM
Yellow tent stakes are ideal
December 23, 2017 07:02PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2017 07:08PM by Badger in NH.
December 23, 2017 07:06PM
Mine are two 3' fiberglass rods with wooden handles. I use them for gridding fields. The handle makes them easy to push into the ground. The 3' length makes it so you don't have to bend down to move them.

December 23, 2017 07:28PM
I use marker flags from home depot. easy to see orange color. I

also wear orange vest in the field just in case of hunters nearby.
December 23, 2017 07:36PM
If i am on a deep ploughed and rolled site that starts showing some interesting finds then i use a few similar methods such as small football cones or orange strip on pegs that are often used for building foundations layout etc these are predominantly orange or red so they stand out and then i detect between these 2 line indicators.

Another method that i also use and once again this is related too farm land is a method using road marking paint spray but this method is only used when using a Pulse machine with a Mono coil and locating a hoard etc,usually i go over the area with the Pulse and then when i get a signal i spray a blob of spray on the soil,then go over with a VLF machine with a large coil,this then indicates that the deep target is either a good target that needs digging or its say iron.I will highlight this method is time consuming but it is effective,the TDI Pro does have some form of discrimination but not good enough or reliable enough for solely making a 'dig-no dig decision' but by using a VLF machine it can refine the decision in your favour of locating the potential hoard container or deep artifacts.

Anything that helps you in the 'reward to effort' ratio must be seen as a good thing and the paint method which its often called does work.
December 23, 2017 10:32PM
I have made a bunch of these, make excellent probes and gridding stakes, they are low key and hardly noticeable to any passer bys.
Made of solid brass

Stiff solid brass rod that is threaded into a machined brass handle.

Then silver soldered for a high strength joint. Handle is covered with rubber shrink tubing.

Probes tip has been ground to a dull point.

This probe is just the right size for general coin and jewelry hunting depths.

Overall length is approx. 10.5"

Overall length of the probe rod is approx. 6"

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
December 23, 2017 11:00PM
Some good ideas/methods here. The trouble I've had when using golf tees when there is some overgrowth ,is being able to see them from a distance. They do work good on a mowed lot or park and are easy to pick up, which is nice. They also are low key but it is not always necessary to be that low key.

The tent pegs,fiberglass poles and the probe rods,like Sven showed, seem like a good idea where running a string line wouldn't be practical.
December 23, 2017 11:08PM
Here's an idea that works well for me.
Get a dozen plastic coat hangers and a good heat gun or blow dryer.
Heat the hook up by the triangle part and bend it to a 90 degree angle to the rest of the hanger and hold it there until it cools enough to remain at that angle. You can also heat and reconfigure the hanger into a square design and it will stand up easier. Then , just lay them out as you go and on the return trip you can pick them up with the coil and move them to the undetected side for the trip back. A movable marker with no bending down and no interference ,,,, cheap , stackable when not in use to conserve space and low profile when in usethumbs down
December 23, 2017 11:23PM
shoveler Wrote:
> Here's an idea that works well for me.
> Get a dozen plastic coat hangers and a good heat g
> un or blow dryer.
> Heat the hook up by the triangle part and bend it
> to a 90 degree angle to the rest of the hanger and
> hold it there until it cools enough to remain at t
> hat angle. You can also heat and reconfigure the h
> anger into a square design and it will stand up ea
> sier. Then , just lay them out as you go and on th
> e return trip you can pick them up with the coil a
> nd move them to the undetected side for the trip b
> ack. A movable marker with no bending down and no
> interference ,,,, cheap , stackable when not in us
> e to conserve space and low profile when in use(tu
> )

Sounds good ,and being able to move them with a coil was a concern. It would also be easier to get correct spacing as you would be placing them using normal swing pattern.
December 24, 2017 01:55AM
I don't use markers. If there are mower tracks, I will follow them. Other than that, I use my good eye.
December 24, 2017 02:24AM
Same here may grid using the lawn cut lines, but really gridding is like watching paint dry unless known to produce.
December 24, 2017 12:36PM
Although it is not a good thing to do I wander around like a duck with its head cut off. If a person was to follow my tracks you would think that I got into the fire water, it's a habbit that I have always had and probably always will.
December 24, 2017 03:19PM
I just eyeball a landmark (tree, bush, house, post, etc.) as a marker and head toward it then do that again at the turn-around. Not perfect but easy to carry and store. cool smiley
December 24, 2017 03:37PM
SkiWhiz Wrote:
> Although it is not a good thing to do I wander aro
> und like a duck with its head cut off. If a person
> was to follow my tracks you would think that I got
> into the fire water, it's a habbit that I have alw
> ays had and probably always will.

smiling smiley I've done that too in a large park we have that has an old railbed running through it. If I'm detecting a lot that is becoming a parking lot, time is a factor and I may only have one chance at going over it. I don't want to be going over the same area twice if I only have one shot.
Where time isn't really a factor I want to go over the same area with a different setting/ more advanced machine, so I want to keep track of where I've been. Wandering around can be good for looking for activity at a lot of places.
December 24, 2017 04:00PM
Generally, when cross comparing similar detectors, case in point, the Eureka and the GMT, it's more beneficial to 'line and pin' the area being detected and in that manner you know for sure that the coils crossed over the same ground!
I did a video of that exact subject a few years ago. I might dig it out and plonk it onto YouTube if anyone was interested?
The GMT really shone on the day simply due to it has a VDI meter!!! But the Eureka wasn't a slouch either!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2017 04:02PM by Des D.
December 24, 2017 05:06PM
SkiWhiz Wrote:

Hunted with a person like that in schoolyards, parks. Here one minute, 100' away the next...he's all over the place. He does find stuff, claims a place is hunted out, after he hunts the place numerous times. LOL. He sure missed a lot in
the hot spot areas I grid searched. I will wander about to scout out an area to locate any hot spots and do settle into an area fairly fast. For this person, its a condition he has, as long as he is happy finding stuff, that's all that matters. Some of the gold jewelry he finds wandering is amazing. He does set his disc fairly high to avoid digging junk due to some physical limitations.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
December 24, 2017 05:23PM
SkiWhiz Wrote:

same here, gridding puts me to sleep and not fun for me, talking of fire water.....had a shot of moonshine made from Ten see,apples. Wow it tasted good.
December 24, 2017 05:58PM
Dirtmover Wrote:
> I've found that colored golf tees work good for ma
> rkers when searching lots. I usually start at one
> edge of lot and lay them down occasionally as I g
> o. On the return path I move them to the opposite
> side of my swing path. I know of nothing on the ma
> rket ,but markers that could be picked up and move
> d with your coil seems like a good idea. Feel free
> to use my idea, but please name them after me if y
> ou decide to market them.

I have an idea! Get a bunch of Frisbees and place them over your hits!! Merry Christmas Gary!
December 24, 2017 06:42PM
Good idea Ronthumbs down

Best Wishes. Tom, Willy and all the great mods.

oj/bc4me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2017 09:06PM by guvmore.
December 24, 2017 07:14PM
Survey marker flags are great if not wanting to be too covert. The little metal rods with various colored plastic flags attached.
December 24, 2017 08:08PM
SeabeeRon Wrote:

> I have an idea! Get a bunch of Frisbees and place
> them over your hits!! Merry Christmas Gary!

smiling smiley Same to you. I know a Guy_in_CA that should have marketed his own brand of them.