Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

House built in the 1830s. You have a one time permission

Posted by Detectorist 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
House built in the 1830s. You have a one time permission
December 25, 2017 05:17PM
to detect it for no more than 1 hour...ever. Some Civil War activity in the area.

Do you just dig coin signals or dig everything?
Re: House built in the 1830s. You have a one time permission
December 25, 2017 05:27PM
Good luck.
Or should I say good pot luck.

Any modern trash, or site seen habitation/action since 1970??
December 25, 2017 05:30PM
As you have just 1 hour and one hit on this site you would not want too dig everything,as its likely that the site will be trashy if you stop and try and dig every target then time will evaporate very quickly with no decent finds,if it was me i would dial in a reasonable amount of discrimination and just hit the site in the 60 minute time allocation.Its a hard one on really what would be the best option either quality or quantity,my option would be quantity and rely on the discrimination for reducing the amount of junk and just enough for the 'possibilty' of the odd really old desirable target/s.
December 25, 2017 05:34PM
Ctx 3030, stock coil, fast on, deep off, high trash, 50 conductive, wide open screen. Dig all repeatable coin signals 12 44 up, 6 in or more deep first. That's how I would hunt it. Other people may vary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2017 05:35PM by Welgund.
December 25, 2017 06:21PM
Screw the machine/target choice , I'd go for location
Path to the front door , mail box and clothes line,,,barn , if there was one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2017 06:22PM by shoveler.
December 25, 2017 07:52PM
All options have their pro/con...I would use a sniper coil and only hit high numbers and high tone... it would give you way more time then digging deeper targets you only have a short time.

Good Luck

oj/bc4me

ps first 10 minits a wild dash around in case a hot spot shows up then the obvious high traffic area any old big Oak tree etc etc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2017 07:54PM by guvmore.
December 25, 2017 08:21PM
I would cherry pick coins including Indian pennies. Likely to find relics that way too. I would use my F75 with stock coil.
December 25, 2017 09:06PM
You could research get old photo of the past before random digging, get more clues or hard facts where the traffic was.
December 25, 2017 09:10PM
Usea good discriminator..

grab the cherry high tones...

think Buckles and coins..

Do you have a sovereign////Explorer??

Id stay in front between house and road..Most of the backyards will be heavily polluted that has been my findings on old still standing houses from the mid 1800s

My best finds have came from center area of front yards around here.and usually my best finds come in the first half hour on a site that's virgin..as I'm usually getting what I can get incase I can't come back I go for the highest sweetest hits.Back then most people got off buggy or horse out front of house If you don't hit stuff quickly start using your detecting instinct ...If find the well hole next and scout around it ..there like magnets for artifacts..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2017 09:59PM by Keith Southern.
December 25, 2017 10:10PM
Cherry pick

no time for any other method
December 25, 2017 11:14PM
That would be tough to handle.

The general consensus around here is that any house like that still standing, has already been cherry picked in the immediate yards, and your best areas of concentration would be outbuildings and paths to them.

I've been hunting the 1847 house I posted about and have found very little in the yards but have started to find older coins and relics out away from the actual house itself.
December 27, 2017 06:09PM
I would not cherry pick targets as much as I would cherry pick the locations to hunt.

Cart path to house
house to outhouse
house to barn or shed
any fence line in front of kitchen window
Around any large trees.

Tom in SC
December 27, 2017 06:55PM
Just wondering... I’m assuming the owner is limiting your time... why would the property owner limit the time to 1hr, vs 2hr or an afternoon?

Still, it’s an interesting “what-if...”
December 27, 2017 07:03PM
go-rebels Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just wondering... I’m assuming the owner is limiti
> ng your time... why would the property owner limit
> the time to 1hr, vs 2hr or an afternoon?
>
> Still, it’s an interesting “what-if...”

Was thinking about that also. I wonder if it is maybe a club sanctioned event with all the club hunting, one hour should produce a lot of finds and disruption of landscapes. hh
December 27, 2017 07:38PM
Hunt on the sides of walks to house and right side of frontyard....cherry pick only good signals an hour goes fast...