Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

2 gold rings and another Morgan dollar.

Posted by Digs_alot 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
2 gold rings and another Morgan dollar.
December 28, 2017 11:04PM
Got in 6 days of beach detecting during the extreme low tides at the beginning of December.

The 1st day produced two 10k gold rings, a good start.

The 2nd day, after the main beach produced nothing, did a quick scan along the rocky area. When I got to the area that produced two Morgan dollars back in 2010, got a very weak quarter like signal. Turned out to be my 5th Morgan dollar, 1897. Knew where I was going to start searching the next day.

The 3rd day, straight to the area that produced the silver dollar, but no luck.

The 4th day, back to the main beach low tide zone, and got a 1942-s silver nickel.
The 5th day, got a 1957 silver dime.
The 6th day, got lucky and uncovered a small herd of buffalo nickels (5), and 3 early 1940s Jefferson nickels, all in the same hole.

Above are the 2 gold ring finds.

Air-tested with:
11 coil
Auto-sensitivity = 16
Noise Cancel #11
ID = inner diameter (in millimeters)
Rings air-tested with ring parallel to coil, unless otherwise noted

carat ID   grams depth  FE-CO  max depth description
10k   14    .53   .25"  12-01     .50"   Tiny heart gold ring with small break
10k   17   2.33  4.00"  12-05    8.00"   “15” gold ring with 5 stones

Here are some before and after cleaning photos of the gold rings. The small heart gold ring has the typical green corrosion globs, and a break in the back caused by the solder joint corroding away. The larger “15” gold ring doesn’t have a hallmark. It acid tests to +10k, but has a density of a 14k gold ring (12.26grams/cm^3), confusing.
The bottom 2 items is a ring of some type and a very corroded part of some sort.

Above is the 1897-s Morgan dollar. It required a lot of different cleaning techniques. The front side wasn’t too bad, but the back shows areas of pitting where the corrosion ‘ate’ into the coin.

Above is a photo of the 5 buffalo nickels, 3 1940-41 nickels, a silver 1942-s nickel, 1957 silver dime, and the 1897 Morgan dollar.

Above is a photo of some kind of a stone artifact. It appears to be man-made, but can’t figure out what it could be. It appears to be too oddly-shaped to be a pestle.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
Re: 2 gold rings and another Morgan dollar.
December 28, 2017 11:09PM
Nice digs there diggs!

I vote plumbob on the stone artifact grinning smiley
December 28, 2017 11:18PM
Nice digs!!

Really like when you get those cut rings!!

Nice Morgan too!!Hard to get..

The Indian artifact isa Pendant type...like a charm piece...was probably polished at once ..where the pieces is broken would of had an intention where it had a hemp cord tied around it..

Served no purpose but to be decorative/Ceremonial

I've seen a few over the years...I may have some pics on old books..

To me has that Eskimo ancestors look..Where are you located?

EDIT
Ok dug through my books...are you in the pacific West/Northwest California maybe or Washington ??

Seems to be listed as California Charm stones..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2017 11:41PM by Keith Southern.
December 29, 2017 12:06AM
Well done !smiling smiley
December 29, 2017 12:12AM
Fantastic finds. Congrats!
December 29, 2017 12:19AM
Awesome!!
December 29, 2017 12:30AM
You dug a lot digs_alot..

Congrats

Thanks for sharing.
That Morgan put up a good fight with the corrosion.
December 29, 2017 02:08PM
Keith-----our storehouse of knowledge!!

Great finds and report Digs- Alot.
December 30, 2017 04:55AM
Right on the money!!!

Found it here in Northern California on the peninsula side of the San Francisco Bay.
Hard to imagine that it could be a few thousand years old.

Thanks for the research.
December 30, 2017 05:15AM
Nice digs, well presented and nicely documented! Like the charm stone, although wonder if it wasn't actually an indian net weight?

The area you detect has tons of history, prehistoric to modern, throw in some Spanish influence, Russian fur traders, gold rush, sea ports, etc., and it makes for some nice, and at times, unexpected, but welcome finds thumbs down