Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Deus hunt 12-29-2017 using round 9" HF coil w/pic

Posted by Sod-buster 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Deus hunt 12-29-2017 using round 9" HF coil w/pic
December 29, 2017 10:09PM
A 2 hour and 45 minute hunt in my detector proving ground s site.
Temp a warm 37 F.
Ground conditions wet not frozen.
Minerlization index meter showing 7 dots- checking in multiple spots over clean ground.
This field is fertilized once every spring.
No head to hea done with any other detectors.

Settings today
Sens 93
Freq 28.8khz
Reactivity 3
Silencer -1
Audio report 5
Full headphones vol at 6
Used both manual and auto tacking
Ground phase hung around 71
Full tones level 3 disc

I am really liking this particular coil for the Deus.
A super good relic Hunter, both open field and in polluted sites.

Today was more open field hunt.
This area I have put loads of heat on previously using fbs and Deus using 9" and 11" LF coils.

The elliptical HF coil been in here too, but limited time.

Absolutely stunning to see how much nonferrous was still left (not to mean some don't still exist).

I think I have found my best settings as far as disc running this coil in most sites.

Disc setting is key IMO.
And for me it's level 3 setting using 28.8khz.

Now, I am not inferring here I would only hunt a site using this detector and or coil or this disc level solely and deem a site depleted.

Why this disc level setting?
What does it do for the mighty Deus platform?

As good as the .Deus is, it suffers from masking just like all other Vlf detectors.
But the Deus and this 9" HF coil is doing something special here, and this disc level really exposes.

What is this exactly?
Running this disc level, a user can really depend on shape of signal, put far less stock in actual pitch of signals.

If a person depends on the pitch of signal, you'll be fooled.
How do I know this? Guess

If a user gets no spitting, or doesn't get 2 signals close together using this disc = put on the brakes.
Just study the signature of the signal disregarding tone for the most part.

The pic below, all nonferrous but the bigger on the left.
This was the only ferrous target dug today.
This site is real old, has big relic iron, nails, etc.
But this portion of site not deemed carpet of nails.

This disc level setting turns Deus into exceptional bird dog.

Deepest target dug today approx 8" the bent flat button in pic.
And I exhumed some iron digging it, thinking I had been fooled only to stand up resweep and bingo.

This coil running 28.8 khz loves lead. All kinds except round to near perfectly round.
Loves brass too.
A few of the finds today buttons.

Next here, based on what I am seeing upon target retrieval and even sweeping targets with dirt took off of but still in the hole, a detectorist takes this detector with coil setup to a plowed field- you may lose out on some nice finds.

This coil does NOT like disturbed dirt.
Will hear iron tone (pitch wise) many times when sweeping plugs.
Plugs that seem to be not contaminated with ferrous.
But this masking may be caused by micro particles of ferrous, even the detector won't pick upand give tonal indication to user.

I know some folks here bought the elliptical HF coil vs the rounded coil.
I fortunately have both HF coils.
Like both, and neither is going anywhere anytime soon.

But IMO the round does have some advantages over the elliptical and it's not exactly what some may be thinking here as far as the smaller elliptical sniffing things out of ferrous.

A very good nonferrous to ferrous ratio today.
Impressive.
And how many of the nonferrous finds found today provided more textbook signals(all things considered)?? Only 4.
Think about that.
And is this why I didn't find using LF coils?? Previously??

And to think, the patch I was in today, was exactly the patch where in this area I started detecting using a White's V3i. And found only 1 flat button. But remember I Was big time green horn. I think I have advanced past that stage now. How far I don't really know.

Cheers
Forgot to say, if a user pulls the pinpoint, better watch out. Many of these finds today gave broad pinpoint signals, and tonally sounded like ferrous- hence a person can get fooled quick

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2017 10:44PM by Sod-buster.
Re: Deus hunt 12-29-2017 using round 9" HF coil w/pic
December 29, 2017 10:41PM
Tnss, are you more favouring full tones, i loved full tones in my ear, but the downside overruled using it in real time.
Impressive results though from a previous worked area matey.
December 29, 2017 10:56PM
Ghound.

I do like full tones.
But running 0 disc and lower can present problems,

I'll put it this way.

If someone has found gold coins in a small site previously using even Deus with LF coils or any other detector /coil combo, and I was given a one time shot at the site.

And I had to use Deus and round HF coil to hunt.

I would hunt using 28.8khz using full tones and disc level 3.

A person can hunt faster and I think very efficient for the speed they can hunt.
Hearing all the ferrous is not necessary all the time.

Now if I were given multiple shots at the same site, things would change obviously depending.

Actually if a person will note, granted I was operating in a dig all nonferrous today.
But I think I found a lot of targets for the time spent.
This is attributable to 2 things.
The disc setting and using the MI-6 pointer.
The MI-6 pointer makes recovery easy with its variable sound as the probe nears metallic object.

I did experience a few delays today when turning the pinpointer off, before the detector's audio would start working.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2017 11:04PM by Sod-buster.
December 29, 2017 11:05PM
Man wish My weather was good enough to get out.
Nice Finds Sod!
December 30, 2017 02:39AM
I got out for about 30 mins today. Went to a beach I had hunted a couple times in the summer with the CTX in the water. They had dropped the water quite low. I had found some rings there in the summer...recent drops. Someone had detected it this week....fresh covered holes on the lower beach (the area that is normally underwater). I turned on the eTrac and noise cancel...didnt take a step. Had a 12-20 signal. Dug about 8 inches for my first target. A ring. Whomever hunted dug a few holes and must have got coins. I only got 4 signals. Two were rings, a nickel, and a square pulltab.
December 30, 2017 03:19AM
I feel for you Harold.
I am going to try to detect tomorrow some anyway,

Tomorrow looks like the last day here for me to detect before the DEEP Freeze.

Need to try out this periscopic probe Paul has loaned me. May defer until later.

Need to test more on surface targets to sharpen up some on its operation.

Don't want no part of Fargo.
High temp forecast -18.
Weather like that makes Dankowski forum sound like a warm place to be viewing.
Just dream Florida- you'll warm up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2017 03:24AM by Sod-buster.