Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Anyone hunt South Carolina?

Posted by Sand dog 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Anyone hunt South Carolina?
December 30, 2017 04:18PM
Was wondering if anyone knows how the mineralization is in SC? My sister bought a small farm in Chapin area, it’s 38 acres she also got me permission to hunt a much bigger farm. I’m heading down there the end of February for a week or so. I’ll be bringing CTX, Deus, VGG, Impact and hopefully the Equinox lol. Just wondering if I need a gpx 4500 to handle the ground? Thanks

John
Re: Anyone hunt South Carolina?
December 30, 2017 04:44PM
Never did but always heard their ground was mild for the most part. Ole' Richard 'aka' Palmetto digger killed it down there with a Nautilus back in the Good Ole' days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2017 04:46PM by Harold,ILL..
December 30, 2017 05:16PM
It's pretty good soil in most parts but areas north and northwest can get mineralized anything up Interstate 85 like Greenville ,Spartanburg,Rock Hill.

I've Hunted Rev War sites in Camden on north side and they were sort of mineralized too.

It's beautiful Soil down in the low country ..Especially along the coastal areas...and inland all the way to savannah River too and back up towards Augusta..North of Augusta can get Mineralized...that area your going COULD Be too..

The Low country is where the soil is AWESOME...Spent many a day down there in that soil back in the 90s in huge camps running a Nautilus Harold...Had to run a Bandido behind it though when the nails got bad.Finally just stuck with the Bandido 2 umax and 10.5 concentric coil and all metal mode to keep depth up when needed..whole lot lighter and could get the buttons out of iron better...at end of day I usually had more buttons than the Nautilus guys in the group..You couldn't convince some of them why either..Nautilus was deeper but the Nautilus disc mode was no aggressive on nails...even on zero disc alot of nails were rejected..Everyone in the know back then who ran Nautilus kept a Silver Sabre or the likes for iron work.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 30, 2017 05:17PM
I hunted there a number of years ago with a cz3d. You won't need a gpx there. I see relic finds being made with the detectors you have as well as T 2's and F 75's and others. You should be good to go. Good luck. Lots of history throughout the state. HH jim tn
December 30, 2017 05:38PM
Yeah You're correct Keith the Low country is where He killed it with the Nauty. Think He also had a Original Bandido.? Read about it in His Book Relics and Reminiscing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2017 05:40PM by Harold,ILL..
December 30, 2017 06:34PM
Thanks for all the help everyone I really appreciate it. Looks like I’ll be set with the machines I’m bringing. Kinda glad I don’t have to have a crash course in running a GPX “never ran one” even though the price of a new 4500 is very tempting lol. I’ll probably start off running the VGG, that machine just clicks very well with me has monster depth and I’m confident it won’t leave much behind. I’m looking at snow here in NJ, can’t wait to be on my way south lol. Thanks

John
December 31, 2017 02:40PM
Chapin is near the transitional zone separating the high mineralized clay earth of the Upstate from the sandy areas further south. So your particular site may or may not be difficult to detect.

The one positive thing is that coins tend to sink more slowly in the clay soil. I’ve found many 100+ year old coins in the 3-4" range in the Upstate where I live.