Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Troy Shadow X3?

Posted by Harold,ILL. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Troy Shadow X3?
January 01, 2018 09:05PM
You always here about the X5 and X2 but not much about the X3? Anyone out there use one? If so what are your thoughts on it good or bad? Thanks.
Re: Troy Shadow X3?
January 02, 2018 08:19AM
I have used the X5 and X3 the X3 was a coin magnet at competition hunts but it lacked a ground balance feature in my soil I found coins at around 5-6" pretty good. But not many beyond that. I live in North Georgia and my dirt is like Keith Southern's if that helps. In good dirt I'd say it would go 8-10" on coins.
January 02, 2018 05:22PM
The X3 was my favorite competition hunt machine and one of the few I really missed after passing it on. Troy made brilliant machines and if he had the backing and desire He could have/ should have made a first class series of detectors. As it was Tesoro and Fisher made 3 great unites with him. His star burned bright and winked out. He supported his for years and earned a reputation as one of the good guys. I never had an X2, but wouldn't hesitate if one came along at a decent price!

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
January 05, 2018 07:03PM
Built like tanks the X5 I had was basically a relic hunters dream...Tough for the Mom and Pop outfits to make it in this economy.....
June 14, 2018 07:04AM
Both the X3 and X5 are really great machines but they were non ID machines that cost as much as the top of the line target ID machines. The X3 came standard with the round 7 inch concentric. The X5 came standard with a 9 inch concentric. They went deeper than most machines on the market but the non ID and high cost kept some people away from them. Not to mention, not long after they came out, Tesoro threw the Tejon, Vaquero, and Cibola into the arena at half/quarter the price of the Shadow machines and stole a lot of the spot light. Between the Troys and Tesoro, I always preferred the Troy. They were built better and had higher quality parts, and ALWAYS performed better for me.

There was only one DD coil option for the Shadows, and that was a smaller 5x10. Troy always said he designed that coil for gold prospecting, and hinted at larger DD coils coming in the future for coin/relic hunting but they never made it to the market.

The exciting part now is, that for whatever reason, the NEL coil company has started producing coils for the Shadows. Meaning...there are many other DD coil options and sizes to choose from, besides just the 5x10 that Troy originally produced.

I couldn't stand it and just bought a X5 that should be here next week, and the first thing I ordered for it was one of the NEL DD coils. Looking forward to getting both of them in, and seeing what it brings to the table.
June 14, 2018 05:34PM
Ole' Daniel! Man wish He could have made a X6 I.D. Version. I think He was working on one but ran outta' funds. If a company was smart they would give Him some backing so He could finish it as He has a lot of loyal followers. I think they would be surprised how well it do.
June 16, 2018 03:57AM
I agree Harold. He just had too much overhead cost to deal with by not having his own manufacturing facility. Troy was/is a protectionist and quality that was "good enough" for some manufacturers, just didn't measure or meet the expectations of Troy. That's why those machines are 20 yrs old and running like they just came off the line. Looking forward to getting one in my hands again and seeing if those larger DD coils make an impact in the soil around here.

Looking through YouTube land, there arent a lot of Shadow X5 videos out there; nothing new anyway. I will put together a decent run down of the machine when I get it and the new coil, and do some comparisons and post it up. It's been a number of years since I used one but I recall it having one of the smoothest all metal modes and best modulated audio of just about any detector I've used.
June 16, 2018 05:19PM
Yes that would be cool to see. Not many Videos about it and most that are just air testing