Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Fisher 10 1/2" Coil ((((HELP))))

Posted by jimmyjiver 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Fisher 10 1/2" Coil ((((HELP))))
August 21, 2013 03:45AM
Hi,,Well I finally got myself a 10 1/2" coil for my 3D, it took all summer long to get one....I did not have the money, so I traded another coil I had to get this one....But like my other coil I bought from another forum member (not here) it don't work right (5" 3D coil)....My first thought was I wanted to cry,,,,I have been anticipating getting a big coil to try out every since I read Tom's very informative article "LOVE IS DEEP".....Well it probably is, but my pocket book is not.....So here's my question to anyone that has one of these coils....Could you please look at yours and give me the wiring for the plug pins #1..#2..#3..#4..#5....Oddly enough mine has a brown & black wire plus a shield wire encased in a separate white casing the other white casing has a clear wire and a shield wire....This coil looks new but I can tell someone has soldered this plug before and put silicone on it....Fisher usually uses a black type of silicone not clear, anyways I can unequivocally tell it is not a factory job...I'm hoping they just have it wired wrong, right now it's getting about 8 to 10" with a sporadic jumping of the meter while it's just sitting there....Oh by the way Fisher will not stand behind a coil unless you have a receipt plus it can not be very old (90 days?)....Hope you can help....Thanks....JJ
Re: Fisher 10 1/2" Coil ((((HELP))))
August 21, 2013 04:24AM
pin #1 is the white wire shield
pin #2 is the white wire
pin#3 is the red wire shield
pin#4 is the red wire
pin #5 is empty

Keith
August 21, 2013 07:58AM
Hi,, Thanks for the attempt to help Keith.....But....Oddly enough mine has a brown wire & a black wire plus a shield wire encased in a separate white casing the other white casing has a clear wire and a shield wire.......JJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2013 08:00AM by jimmyjiver.
August 21, 2013 08:21AM
I'm not familiar with CZ machines and their coils, but.... the cable details you have described, Jimmy, are what my modern Fisher F75 coils have. As you say this coil is only 90 days old, it seems likely that this type is now used on the CZ, and Keith's specs are for an older coil? On the F75, the black/brown wires are the transmit coil wires, with their shield/screen, and the single clear wire with it's shield is the receive coil connection. How are the black & brown wires and their shield joined to the connector on your coil? It seems likely that this shield and one of black or brown must be joined together?
Edit: just done a quick web search, looks like Pin 3 = shield for transmit coil, pin 4 = transmit inner. And pin 1 = receive-coil shield, pin 2 = receive-coil inner.
Resistances, roughly, are pin 3 to pin 4 = 3 ohms, and pin 1 to pin 2 about 33 ohms (these may differ slightly depending on the coil size).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2013 08:34AM by Pimento.
August 21, 2013 08:36AM
Hi,, The coil I have is older than 90 days old....Yes the wiring Keith has is for the stock CZ 8" coil...On the coil I have they have the black&brown wire tied together.....JJ
August 21, 2013 09:07AM
Hmm...yes, I suppose that would make sense, the TX coil resistance is quite low, so keeping the resistance of the cable down is important, they have apparently joined the black and brown in parallel (ie. together at both ends of the cable). So, provided you think everything looks OK (clean, no tiny solder blobs, stray strands of wire etc) it seems your plug wiring is OK. The coil evidently works, and you're not getting any wierd symptoms (like a double-beep instead of a single one, which happens if receive wires are swapped round) so you need to start looking for other possibilities. Can you get the coil tested on another machine? Have you tried wiggling the cable (especially near the ends) to see if there is a possible intermittent break? Do you have an electrical test-meter? Do the resistances seem to match those I quoted?
August 22, 2013 02:21AM
Hi, I measured the resistance after cutting the wire and it seemed to be good....Possibly some wires are touching where they re-soldered the plug that's not visible....I wish I would of checked the resistance before I cut the wire....I will re-solder the plug tomorrow and report back, I'm lazy right now I just got back from detecting....JJ
August 22, 2013 04:53AM
1 and 2 is recieve and 3 and 4 is transmit.. the lowest number pin of the pair is the shield...

does yours use those pins 1/2/3/4...

if so I bet it's wired right... have you ever heard a coil wired backwards it awfull...no depth and the disc does not work right...it will double beep a target from nulling the center...

Could just be a piece of the shield touching the hot wire....In other words not soldered right...one strand can wreak havoc if its touching another pin or even the coil connector..

maybe someone will snap a pic of a cz 3d coil connector from el paso and post it up...My info is from some scribbling on my work bench...every machine I get hold of I jot down the pin outs for the coils on the wall of my work bench just encase I need it at a later date...

example imagine out hunting and you fall and rip your cord out of the connector how would you Know how to put it back if its the only coil you have for the machine?

I have notes all over the wall LOL!!!

I hope you get it working

Keith