Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Great detector for 10 year olds?

Posted by earthmansurfer 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Great detector for 10 year olds?
January 03, 2018 10:56AM
I am going to get a Equinox this year and my 10 year old daughter actually asked for a detector. I think most detectors are a bit too large for 10 year old girls? The manageability aspect is going to be key imo.

I thought of a Fisher F2 or Technetics Eurotek. I would almost prefer not to learn another machine and just get her a lower model Equinox (if not to big), or even a new Go Find. Any ideas here?

Thanks in Advance
Re: Great detector for 10 year olds?
January 03, 2018 11:42AM
"A new line of Go-Finds announced, 66, 44, 22.
You might luck out and get a BOGO deal...

Isn't there a 44 and a 22 out there already???? Fisher 44???
Not very original thinking then huh?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2018 11:45AM by Des D.
January 03, 2018 11:48AM
If a display isn't a necessity any of the Tesoro's would be a good choice, they are light easy to use and find the goods. If you want something she can use right out of the box and grow with (preset settings at first then make adjustments as she learns) the Teknetics T2 would be a good one.
January 03, 2018 12:08PM
I agree with SkiWhiz, a good Tesoro like a Compadre or Mojave would be my choice for a young girl. Light, great discrimination, easy to use and finds lots of good treasure. Mojave with its ground switch works well in them gravel tot lots where I would have them start before they learn to dig clean plugs. They have exceptional recovery speed, much better than the rest in the same price range allowing easier pinpointing without having a pinpointer etc.
January 03, 2018 01:23PM
Take a look at the newer Minuteman from Teknetics. $149.00 with free shipping. Easy to operate and pretty light.
January 03, 2018 02:35PM
The Minuteman is the same machine as the Eurotec Pro - and a screaming bargain at $149.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
January 03, 2018 03:15PM
"That's it then! Get the 'Minuteman!

The 'Eurotek Pro' was a fabulous Test experience from my PoV

Doesn't it come with 'a free pin pointer' too????"

Gotta be the 1st 'no-brainer' of 2 0 1 8
January 03, 2018 04:48PM
No free pinpointer with the Minuteman - that’s only through the T2+ and F75+

I used a Minuteman this last week at Camp Hyder AZ - one of the “Patton Camps from 1942 -1943. The site is absolutely littered with rusty steel bottle caps and rusty Gillette double edge razor blades plus lots of bits of rusty “tin”. The Minutman’s IRON warning and grunt was very busy and the excellent pinpoint function easily resolved nails, wire and sheet metal by sizing the target.

Many hours of swinging a detector and the fact that it is light as a feather and has excellent battery life were real plusses.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
January 03, 2018 06:05PM
Don't know how big or strong she is.....10 yr olds come in different sizes...Light and easy are recommended..trip to dealer might be In order to try a few for size and comfort...
January 03, 2018 07:18PM
Those are all excellent choices in beginner models. I always recommend Tesoros due to their simplicity in operation...lightness and durability.

However...I too have a 10 year old...a grandson...and have had him use a Tesoro or a Garrett ACE 250. The Silver Sabre was a good fit but he liked a metered unit better so he had an ACE 250. But I found the 250 is a bit heavy for him and awkward to adjust to properly fit his size (he is a small guy).

I just ordered a Quest Q20 for him to try out. I think he will like it the best. It has a nice big meter on the handle which is adjustable for elbow cup length by actually moving the meter location along the shaft. It has a lightweight 5X9 coil also. The whole unit itself is very lightweight. The cost is a little higher ($260) but it is nice looking unit and has tested out well for depth for those who have used it. Check it out on their website.

[www.deteknix.com]

Charles
smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2018 07:22PM by Charles (Sabre)(Tx).
January 03, 2018 07:26PM
Skip the Fisher F2, but the Teknetics Euro Tek Pro (which you can get brand new on the Teknetics site for dirt cheap - The Minuteman is a repackaged ETP, and a heck of a deal for $149!) is a decent detector. My wife is not very big, at 106lbs, even my Racer felt a bit heavy for her. After some research, I picked up a ETP for her for her, it's perfect, super light weight, easy to use, and it works great! I just wish I could get her more interested in detecting in general. I think it was one of the first detectors FTP employed adjustable iron audio on.

Oh and there's a ton of coils available for the ETP (I believe all the F19 and Gold Bug coils work on it).

HH,
Brian
January 03, 2018 09:00PM
digitek is $129 shipped. well in the USA anyway from tekneticsdirect.com

has the shorter rod and good for those shorter than 5'8". Buy a longer rod later or for adult.
January 04, 2018 11:14AM
Charles (Sabre)(Tx) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those are all excellent choices in beginner mod
> els. I always recommend Tesoros due to their simp
> licity in operation...lightness and durability.
>
> However...I too have a 10 year old...a grandson...
> and have had him use a Tesoro or a Garrett ACE 250
> . The Silver Sabre was a good fit but he liked a
> metered unit better so he had an ACE 250. But I f
> ound the 250 is a bit heavy for him and awkward to
> adjust to properly fit his size (he is a small guy
> ).
>
> I just ordered a Quest Q20 for him to try out. I
> think he will like it the best. It has a nice big
> meter on the handle which is adjustable for elbow
> cup length by actually moving the meter location a
> long the shaft. It has a lightweight 5X9 coil als
> o. The whole unit itself is very lightweight. Th
> e cost is a little higher ($260) but it is nice lo
> oking unit and has tested out well for depth for t
> hose who have used it. Check it out on their webs
> ite.
>
> [www.deteknix.com]
>
> Charles
smiling smiley

And a Quest Jr. is to be released end of Feb or March. Supposed to be near Q20 performance. Price cheaper than the Compadre.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
January 04, 2018 11:23AM
I even love the Quest Q20.
January 04, 2018 01:55PM
I picked up a Quest20 . Excellent little detector. Shrinks down to as little as 29" . Handles my orange soil real well, 15% less depth than the T2 I had.
A real coin magnet with pleasant audio, and good VDI.
January 04, 2018 01:58PM
The Quest 20 is a very good detector. Has built in rechargeable batt, telescopic shaft, seems built very well and hits my 10” nickel in zero bar dirt. The ID is a little off on it though but that’s impressive for a $250 machine in my book. The 8” nickel is no problem and ID’s as it should. It’s a FUN little machine that performs very well, packs small enough to put in back pack if you gotta hike to a spot and length can be adjusted for most any size person kid to adult.

John
January 04, 2018 05:07PM
Wow!!! Thanks so much guys, really appreciate it. And I hope this thread helps others find a suitable machine.
I will stay clear of the beep only models as she will be digging way too much trash and I want here to not see this as "going fishing". spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
That and she will think she has an inferior machine to my Equinox 800 (and no matter how you slice it, she will, lol.)

For the money that Q20 really seems like a great model. I especially like the size and fold up ability (and love lower frequencies on coins). I don't see the minuteman here in Germany, but the ETP is roughly the same price as it, bit more (like most electronics in Germany.)
I just ordered a Q20. I don't have my Equinox yet and it is too cold for my liking to hunt, but I want her to get to learn how to use it.

Again, thanks so much and now I will have a reason to start making videos again, lol.

Happy New Year guys,
Albert

ps - I already told her months ago when she asked for a machine that I buried those coins she dug up when she was 5 or so, lol. But she said she understands why I did it and still wants to go. eheheh
January 15, 2018 09:28AM
Just a little update guys. I took my daughter out for a 2 hour or so hunt yesterday and she had quite a bit of fun. The Question Q20 is a GREAT detector for this age but the performance is quite good.

Within 5 minutes she found a Deutsche Mark at about 6" deep, strong signal. I was kind of shocked actually. (You can turn these pre-Euro coins into the government and get half the face value. She ended up making like 1.35 Euro yesterday - not bad when her allowance is 3 bucks a week!)
She got 4 coins in total and I dug a lot of pull tabs (for her). I let her know good things can be any where on the meter but the sound was key and she caught on there.

The detector is really simple to use, no audio options that I have found but a fairly descriptive audio. You have your iron sounds that she recognizes and everything in between as far as clarity, chirps, jumpiness. She is learning the sounds quite well and doesn't look at the numbers until something sounds good. Mid size coil is nice for kids too.
Also, the detector is totally adjustable height wise, not only the length but where you place the main unit, which is great for kids. Wish it had more audio options but guess I have to up the model in the future if she wants.

Thanks again,
EMS
March 14, 2018 01:14PM
Sven1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Charles (Sabre)(Tx) Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Those are all excellent choices in beginner m
> od
> > els. I always recommend Tesoros due to their si
> mp
> > licity in operation...lightness and durability.
> >
> > However...I too have a 10 year old...a grandson.
> ..
> > and have had him use a Tesoro or a Garrett ACE 2
> 50
> > . The Silver Sabre was a good fit but he liked
> a
> > metered unit better so he had an ACE 250. But I
> f
> > ound the 250 is a bit heavy for him and awkward
> to
> > adjust to properly fit his size (he is a small g
> uy
> > ).
> >
> > I just ordered a Quest Q20 for him to try out.
> I
> > think he will like it the best. It has a nice b
> ig
> > meter on the handle which is adjustable for elbo
> w
> > cup length by actually moving the meter location
> a
> > long the shaft. It has a lightweight 5X9 coil a
> ls
> > o. The whole unit itself is very lightweight.
> Th
> > e cost is a little higher ($260) but it is nice
> lo
> > oking unit and has tested out well for depth for
> t
> > hose who have used it. Check it out on their we
> bs
> > ite.
> >
> > [www.deteknix.com]
> >
> > Charles
smiling smiley
>
>
> And a Quest Jr. is to be released end of Feb or Ma
> rch. Supposed to be near Q20 performance. Price ch
> eaper than the Compadre.
>
>

Sorry to bump an old thread but is this Quest Jr. Still in the works? Can't find any information on it and I'm looking for a birthday gift for my 7 year old. Thanks