Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Went detecting yesterday cold with ground somewhat frozen

Posted by Sod-buster 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Went detecting yesterday cold with ground somewhat frozen
January 03, 2018 02:44PM
First time I have ever detected with ground frozen.

Ambient temp when detecting 24F.

Temp had been lower during nighttime and early morning hours.

Some newbies to detecting may read this thread.

So my take on hunting frozen ground.

First a shovel won't do.

Need a pick to bust through.
Yesterday ground frozen first 3" down.

Don't hunt manicured lawns, as a detectorist won't be able to put plugs, chunks of dirt back in a nice fashion.
Limit your digging, or do like I did go to a site where you don't expect to find many suspect targets. (Maybe hunted hard previously I. e.)

Take a sack or bag big enough to actually put your finds in while they are still entangled in the clods, detectorists runs a high risk of damaging nicer finds like coins if they try to get totally out of the soil (clod) exposing.
Thaw out your dirt (clods) when you get home.

Pinpointer helps big time and will limit some digging.

My foot is sore this morning from all the pressure being applied to my lesche shovel I used yesterday.

Thought I would share.
Did make some finds but will show them in another future post along with some commentary.
Plan to go back to site later today. Temps are moderating slightly.
And yes my pick will be with me this time.lol

Cheers

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2018 02:46PM by Sod-buster.
Re: Went detecting yesterday cold with ground somewhat frozen
January 03, 2018 06:18PM
Good tips Sod. Man I use to be gung-ho when first started and hunt frozen ground in the woods. Too old now and most those sites gone. The best luck I had was when the first 2-3 inches were frozen. Break through that and get to the soft ground.
For some reason it seems to make the Super deep coins rise a little and more attainable.
Dug a Beautiful 1902s Barber dime AU, one time in that type ground that was a good 11" with a Hot 1021 CZ-3D.
My first CZ-3D I bought New. Went back after thaw and not much else. Fun find I will not ever forget.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2018 06:19PM by Harold,ILL..
January 03, 2018 11:37PM
I did the same thing at the lake Monday. The sand and gravel was froze down to 3 or 4 inches. My shovel couldn't make headway with it unless you rammed it down and used it like a pick, and it was SLOW going. Still managed 1 ring. Went back the next day with a prospecting pick and actually broke the head of the pick off of the handle. I will just wait on it to thaw out before I go back.
January 04, 2018 12:00AM
The ground here is saturated, some lost crops still in the fields as the summer was so wet.
January 04, 2018 12:20AM
I've been in the woods the last three mornings. Little nippy, 9, 11 and 17 degrees respectively starting out. Did finally get above freezing today. Digging was fine in most places. The dirt has a nice blanket of leaves for insulation. Woods are warmer then open spaces and wind chill less of a factor. Now, back to my thaw out blanket. Oh, 1 silver Washington for my efforts. HH jim tn
January 04, 2018 12:42AM
Jim you are more dedicated than I am. Brrr.
Nice find on the quarter though.

Bent my pick today detecting.

Need to get in the woods I suppose.
January 04, 2018 09:14PM
In my younger GUNG HO days had some fun on sledding hills and actually chance for a ring with gloves off and on and wet frozen hands.
Probably set a record taking bus trips to Atlantic City as salt water never freezes ...sure worked well to kill cabin fever..pulled silver back to seated and gold ring now and then.
6 hrs. back and forth and 5-6 hrs on beach made for long day but left my pick at home...
January 04, 2018 10:30PM
I stayed home and drank some fine bourbon!
January 04, 2018 11:29PM
I had a hard time detecting today to in this 72 degree weather.-----Tank top got too warm actually!sad smiley----All that sufferin---but---I did find some coins, that helped!
January 05, 2018 06:37AM
Ground frozen 3" deep is not somewhat frozen, it's hard frozen. It's a bitch to dig. And counterproductive to detect with the mindset of digging minimal targets.

I've done it unintentionally when I've misjudged how frozen the ground would be. At that point I'm planning to detect and have spent time layering up and driving so I'm not about to just call it a day. My Predator pickaxe makes it possible, but not enjoyable. My hands and wrists pay the price in the following days.

I try to avoid anything beyond slight (less than an inch) surface freezing.