Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tejon vs Lobo ST questions

Posted by Mike Hillis 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tejon vs Lobo ST questions
January 03, 2018 05:07PM
I tend to over analyses sometimes. Still looking for a detector for my H.O.T cleansweep coil. I was originally going to get a Lobo ST. Then I got to thinking about the ground balance. I like to be able to adjust my ground balance point as I might desire. That would mean having to mod the Lobo. Not that big of a deal, but I got to thinking, what if I got H.O.T detector that already has the manual ground balance and skipped the mod all together?

That brings the Tejon into the equation. The Tejon and Lobo ST run the same basic frequency of 17 kHz. The Tejon already has a manual ground balance so I wouldn’t have to mod it. It has VCO audio like the Lobo ST. The Lobo ST is very stable in my EMI environments. More stable even than the G2. So I figure the Tejon would be stable too.

It will only be used with the cleansweep coil for jewelry hunting school playgrounds. That’s all I’d ever really use it for.
I looked at the Vaquero too, but I’d like to stay with the higher frequency. I don’t know for sure but I think the H.O.T cleansweep coil would probably run better with the higher frequency than at the 14 kHz of the Vaquero.

Anyway…seeking input.

Thanks
Mike
Re: Tejon vs Lobo ST questions
January 03, 2018 07:48PM
And to add to the question.....

I was reading on Gary's site that there are two versions of the Tejon. The American verision and a UK version called the Tejon Pro. The Pro version supossedly has a better iron disc range.

My question.....do the current models sold in the states have this enhanced iron discrimination range now, or is this still a unique UK model?

Thanks
Mike
January 03, 2018 08:46PM
Between the lobo and Tejon Mike..

I'd get the Tejon..

I've ran them both alot I mean alot.for years..and the Tejon is more powerful..the lobo is quieter more old tesoro disc feel..but the Tejon is hotter in low conductors mixed in iron..

Tejon is more Amped so you will get more noise.Yet you have to learn noise from goodies..alot like a 126 but higher gain higher freq..early tejons had problems with ground balancing in mineral..but the early ones were cranked a tad hotter..they probably backed off them a little to allow less blow back..

Vaquero is also nice but it won't see the thinner small stuff like a Tejon ..yet the vaquero is smoother and better disc filtering..

What targets are you after..??

Uk Tejon I beilve has a present ground balance to ferrite or manual switch..as far as disc range on iron..not sure..some say yes some say no...never had one...but I can dial in a Tejon to reject a small nail and dig tiny stuff non ferrous intermingled so to me I don't need any broader range..

Tejon runs concentric well..get stock 8x9 version..and add a 5.75 c coil...that small coil will blow your mind on depth...like a F75 small coil depth..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
January 03, 2018 09:34PM
The only thing I would add to Keith"s post is that the battery system on the Tejon is not the greatest. It drains the batteries pretty quickly and once they get down to about 3 beeps on the battery check, the depth is really affected. Other than that, it's a great detector. So be sure to use fresh batteries.
January 03, 2018 09:48PM
Keith,
Thanks for the reply. I'm after small low conductive jewelry items. Earrings, lockets, charms, rings, chains. Once I locate a good patch I clean the non-ferrous out. Then I come back ever so often for the new drops and pull a little ferrous out each trip, too. For this type of hunting its all about efficiency; how fast I can cover the area for the new losses and move on to the next patch or hot spot I've got located. That's where the Cleansweep coils come in. The Cleansweep coil has a good tight footprint and is sensitive enough that coupled with a high frequency detector I would hear most anything.

Been using a Compadre and Cleansweep combo lately for these spots but I'm still not happy with the results. The Compadre disc vs frequency is still lacking something. I'm hoping the higher frequency will drop the non-ferrous cut off deeper into the ferrous range.

I've tried using a Bigfoot coil for these spots but the Bigfoot coil foot print is too large. So I'm pretty much stuck with Tesoro for this type of location.

HH
Mike
January 03, 2018 09:49PM
Thanks Pine. That is good advice.
Mike
January 03, 2018 10:49PM
Ok Mike Gotcha!

The Lobo you will find is VERY similar to the G2/Gold Bug Pro in performance..even sounds almost the same..Always felt like a G2 was a Lobo with VDI to me.

Yes Tejons loose SPARK with lower batteries..either grab some dollar store brand and toss them after about 8 hours or get some oxy types.

The Tejon will speak to you after awhile in the pops and clicks on deepies...Yet if your after recent drops that may not be much of a learning curve.

Yes I feel also the Tejon would drive the bigfoot style coil better than lobo or Vaquero.WAY more GAIN.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
January 03, 2018 10:59PM
Thanks Keith.

That sums it up then. Tejon it is.

I'm doing the same thing with the G2 and a 13" NEL coil in turf patches. I like more depth in the turf as the grass height cuts way back on the Cleansweep coil depth. In the turf the grass can be six inches high in some of my hot spots.

HH
Mike

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2018 11:04PM by Mike Hillis.