Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

“Dude, It’s a Chain Cent!”

Posted by go-rebels 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
“Dude, It’s a Chain Cent!”
January 05, 2018 02:07PM
Re: “Dude, It’s a Chain Cent!”
January 05, 2018 02:24PM
Haha I thought of you when I saw that video Go Rebels. You posted a thread on them back during the summer. I don't see how those fellas hunt as much as they do. Balancing a job, family, etc and digging as much as they go.
January 05, 2018 02:41PM
Maybe Obama was keeping them up! Ha
January 06, 2018 03:43PM
Chain Cents are one of the "Holy Grails" in the numismatic world, along with Pine Tree shillings, SVDBs and 1955 Double Die cents, all coins readily obtainable today.

Below is one of the cheapest Chain Cents recently sold at auction, selling for $1528 last January. It’s quite a dog.

[coins.ha.com]
January 06, 2018 05:26PM
I relize it's a rare coin, but a copper coin toasted does not seem to be that attractive to me at any price..not doing any research yet seems could be a few variety types if the public in 1793 or so faulted
the design of Liberty and chain design..very interesting coin for sure.
January 06, 2018 05:53PM
guvmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I relize it's a rare coin, but a copper coin toast
> ed does not seem to be that attractive to me at an
> y price..not doing any research yet seems could be
> a few variety types if the public in 1793 or so fa
> ulted
> the design of Liberty and chain design..very inter
> esting coin for sure.

Ahh but the cliche holds true "it is what it is" no matter the condition. There were only like 36,100 of them made, and it is generally thought that only 1 to 2 % of those are known to exist today. Detectorists seem to think a gold coin holds more prestige and is harder to find, therefore are the holy trail to find...but not exactly true considering millions of gold coins have been minted and quite a few are found every year. Not so much in the case of chain cents.
January 06, 2018 05:59PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> guvmore Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I relize it's a rare coin, but a copper coin toa
> st
> > ed does not seem to be that attractive to me at
> an
> > y price..not doing any research yet seems could
> be
> > a few variety types if the public in 1793 or so
> fa
> > ulted
> > the design of Liberty and chain design..very int
> er
> > esting coin for sure.
>
> Ahh but the cliche holds true "it is what it is" n
> o matter the condition. There were only like 36,1
> 00 of them made, and it is generally thought that
> only 1 to 2 % of those are known to exist today.
> Detectorists seem to think a gold coin holds more
> prestige and is harder to find, therefore are the
> holy trail to find...but not exactly true consider
> ing millions of gold coins have been minted and qu
> ite a few are found every year. Not so much in th
> e case of chain cents.

Very well said,in Canada we have the rare 1921 silver little nickel..I would be a happy camper just to see one in my hands yet alone to find one. They were mostly all melted down.
January 06, 2018 06:02PM
Lots of info here on the Chain Cent: [www.coinfacts.com]
January 06, 2018 06:54PM
thanx for sharing. But those east coast guys make me sick. Sick sick sick confused smiley
January 06, 2018 10:41PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> thanx for sharing. But those east coast guys mak
> e me sick. Sick sick sick confused smiley

LoL

we can only dream of finding stuff like that around here too Tom sad smiley

most of what we find around here doesn't pre-date the late 1820s to and more-so the early 1830s --- there's a handful of counties where you can find stuff back as far as the late 1700s (1780s/90s up to/around 1820s) but those are few/far between. The early fort sites where the French and British occupied/traded with injuns until we (the Americans took over) and immediate fort site areas can produce even earlier stuff (late 1600s thru 1700s) but the fort sites themselves are off limits and good luck getting permission on anything close to them. A lot of that land is under protection by the US forestry dept./etc thumbs up

I'd love to dig a "Flowing Hair" of any kind!

You see that FH 1/2 dime Brad from the Hooverboys dug in the spring!? I woulda xxxx my pants on that one grinning smiley
January 06, 2018 11:28PM
MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:

>
> most of what we find around here doesn't pre-date
> the late 1820s to and more-so the early 1830s ---
> there's a handful of counties where you can find s
> tuff back as far as the late 1700s (1780s/90s up t
> o/around 1820s) but those are few/far between.

Mich.-Relic-hunter, I don't believe a word of what you're saying. I've seen enough of those east coast posts, to KNOW that your sandboxes are brimming with LC's, Colonial Copper, busts, etc.... Come clean and admit it. angry smiley
January 07, 2018 12:05AM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Mich.-Relic-hunter, I don't believe a word of what
> you're saying. I've seen enough of those east co
> ast posts, to KNOW that your sandboxes are brimmin
> g with LC's, Colonial Copper, busts, etc.... Com
> e clean and admit it. angry smiley

Tom, we’re not the “east coast” here in Michigan. If you do the research you’ll find that the only 2 places here in Michigan occupied prior to the late 1820s/early 1830s is fort Detroit and the fort on mackinaw island in the straits between the upper and lower land masses of Michigan. Until the treaty of 1831/2 the interior of Michigan was occupied by savages as they were called in those days (injuns) and you didn’t dare settle upon land outside of the forts/immediate surrounding areas if you valued your life as it was their land and nothing but wilderness of untouched trees/lumber with nothing but some major Indian trails from one side of the state to the other and the north/south between the 2 major forts.

I wish we had the history of the “east coast” here but it just ain’t so!
January 07, 2018 12:37AM
Same where I hunt out west...... most great finds are posted from the East coast re vintage.

Though some great stuff comes from every province especiallly BC Vancouver Island.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2018 12:38AM by guvmore.
January 07, 2018 01:09AM
Daniel Tn
There were only like 36,100 of them made, and it is generally thought that only 1 to 2 % of those are known to exist today.

That’s about right. Estimates are that ~500 Chain Cents are in collector’s hands today.

The Early American Coppers society did a rigorous statistical analysis on the survival rates of the various large cent types... Flowing Hairs, Liberty Caps, Draped Busts, Turbans, Coronets and Braided Hairs. I need to dig that up from my reference stack.
January 07, 2018 01:34AM
MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
> Tom, we’re not the “east coast” here in Michigan.
>....

But to us here in CA, anyone east of the Mississippi is, is "east coast". haha