Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What's your poison?

Posted by ghound 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What's your poison?
January 09, 2018 09:53AM
For me it's finding local history, i get a buzz from digging odd ball items, coins, buttons, tokens etc, and researching them, it all builds up a picture of what was here many moons ago, many times i come home empty handed, but occasionally i hit a cracker find.
I've got a few permissions where i can dig modern money, but to be honest after 1/2 hour i'm board to tears, same for the sand, i just can't get motivated, even for the chance of a gold ring!
Re: What's your poison?
January 09, 2018 10:28AM
Wet sand at the beach. Dig gold once you are addicted. Pretty women......even the seagulls looking for you to dig them up sand crabs. Love being there.
January 09, 2018 10:50AM
I like hunting old war relics; I also like hunting old, old homesites and the neat items you sometimes dig there. I like piecing together the history that relics (war, or otherwise) can reveal about a site. And, as of this past October, I can now say that I like beach hunting also. Didn't think I would, but I did. So, I agree with both of the first two posters.

BUT -- what trips my trigger, that I enjoy the absolute most, is OLD coin hunting. The older, the better. Silver (or gold) coins especially, but any old coins are what I really, really enjoy. For whatever reason, I've always been fascinated with coins, even before I started detecting; in fact, detecting became a hobby I entered into BECAUSE of my love for coins...

Steve

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2018 10:52AM by steveg.
January 09, 2018 10:57AM
I am a old silver coin digger, it just never gets old seeing that smokey disc down in the dirt. I enjoy finding the occasional gold item here and there, but its just not the same for me as holding a Seated half or Morgan dollar in my hand. Love finding silver. HH jim tn
January 09, 2018 11:51AM
What floats my boat is detecting real deep pasture and ploughed sites for the real old artifacts etc,DMV (deserted medieval villages) are another favourite of mine as well.Also votive roman offering in water courses these could be shallow river crossings/fords and a favourite location of mine is a very shallow stream/river that kids taking fishing nets for tiddlers during the summer months,the attraction with this location is the young mums usually have decent lumps of grannies ice on her fingers that have been handed down the family for the next generation,of course cold water shrinks the fingers and the rest is history as the old saying goes.
January 09, 2018 11:58AM
Bookers and a Virgin(colonial site)
January 09, 2018 02:20PM
gold, Gold, GOLD!!!!! Processed or raw, I like it all! hot smiley

HH
Mike
January 09, 2018 03:44PM
Cannon projectiles: From the batteries/indiv. gun positions,trying to determine where the bolts,explosive shells, and case shots will impact. They are sorta like a gold nugget--never know Where you gonna find one.
January 09, 2018 03:56PM
Used to be Civil War Relics for me but like Goodmore says, once you get that gold, it's all you can think about. Jewelry hunting for me. Beach hunting is great....wish I lived closer to some nice ones. There ain't much scenery in my area when it comes to the depositors at the local beaches. Most of the honeys with the money have their own pools at home and don't head to the river or lakes. Nevertheless, these days I would rather find a nice gold ring than most civil war relics.
January 09, 2018 04:27PM
Mood rings , all rings for that matter , especially the adjustable ones , keys(house or car) I as much as the Weiser and Kwiksets are prized , nothing beats a good Schlage or Baldwin entry key. Dog tags before 2000 , I really like to call the phone numbers and return the tags to owners who might want them for sentimental reasons. Any junk pewter jewelry or plated chains brighten the day and the laser pointers and geocache capsules keep things interesting. In an area where the old parks and houses are from the 1950's you always have to look on the bright side.smiling smiley
January 09, 2018 05:52PM
Mood rings! Man I remember those along with Pet rocks. Wonder if they still work out of the ground?
I bet a lot of Young'uns on here don't know what they are? Ha.
January 09, 2018 10:24PM
Anything I can attach historical value to..that may be Coins,Jewelry and most importantly War relics..

Heck I even like coins dated from recently as the 20s early 30s I can think of gangster's having hold of it at one time..Illegal gambling,,Prohibition,,,Bootlegging money...the mind can race!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
January 09, 2018 10:48PM
There's just not much history to chase around here.
Most of the historical sites (all 3 of them) were plundered decades ago by guys with metal detectors "saving history" for themselves.
January 09, 2018 11:06PM
Around here there aren't many civil war relics except Gettysburg and surrounding area, about 3- 3.5 hours from me. We do have thousands of stone homes built in the 17 - 1800's.
I like relics but prefer the old coinage. Every once in a while I hit a gold ring.....even better, I dig up an antique silver ring. So, old coins are my poison and an occasional three fingers of Tullamore Dew, on the rocks.
January 10, 2018 12:43AM
Shoveler ...Not sure where your at but have you tried hunting the old House sites around the historic sites...Follow the old roads back from the sites and look for old house sites long forgotten in the woods...may be some goodies in those ?

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
January 10, 2018 12:47AM
Because of the era that this area was settled I’m limited to that period for age of finds so I love finding anything from that period (1820s/30s thru 1870s) including relics and coins. I don’t mind finding stuff a bit newer (1880s - barber coin period) but anything newer does nothing for me - it’s the older relics/coins that really drive the passion. I also like beach/water hunting for gold & silver jewelry as a strong 2nd thumbs down
January 10, 2018 05:46AM
I have limited hunt sites modern city...guess would be simple old coins and the history and times they circulated.....way before we had so many great inventions.

Sure like gold and the usual rift raft finds...the hobby is such a challenge if was easy everyone would do it. hh
January 10, 2018 08:41AM
I dig the history, the research, the challenge of finding something time's completely erased from history, detectors pull back the curtain of time bringing back to life those long lost relics, coins, tokens, jewelry, etc. Definitely paints a picture, and the pictures begin evolve into a story.

Early European contact era, to early emigrant trail travelers, gold rush, and western expansion, lots of people movement over long periods of time, but you'd never know it now, most of these sites of yesteryear are simply footnotes in the annals of history, with little to no visible footprint left.

Where we dig, people lived hard lives, everything was a struggle, oft whiskey was cheaper then water, it was go big or go home for most. Most went home, few prospered, the rest continued chasing the dragon at the next big boom!
January 10, 2018 02:37PM
My poison??? A nice large whiskey and a big fattie...
January 10, 2018 06:21PM
Old junk iron. I must love it because that's all I seem to find!
January 11, 2018 12:20AM
My family, playing music, swinging the coil looking for civil war relics and a cold Millers.
January 11, 2018 05:11AM
Finding those old Spanish coins and bits.

You know the one's supposedly that don't exist in my area. Lol
January 11, 2018 05:55PM
I LOVE finding something that was lost "in a general area" for folks.
Have found a couple very valuable rings, and a couple just sentimental rings, in two cases where others have searched before. pride or satisfaction...take your pick.

I also LOVE finding really old stuff, especially coins and buttons.

Since the only other person I have detected with is ozzie, I have to say when he finds the really old coins, it is almost as good a feeling...no guarantee I would ever find them, and some of the ones he has pulled out...awesome history.
Re: What's your poison? N/T
January 12, 2018 01:18AM
sorry. Deleted post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2018 01:32AM by Cabin Fever.
January 12, 2018 10:23AM
Field and woods hunting old home sites and Lumber Camps. Water hunting for jewelry,. Doing the research to return lost class rings (over a dozen so far).

Recently spent a half hour in below 0 windchill looking for dropped car keys. Grilled the guy before hand that he has checked all other alternatives. Turns out later he found them in one of the bags brought into the house. ^(^&$&%*(

Current favorite imbibement JD Rye standard version.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2018 10:27AM by Jackpine.
January 12, 2018 11:45AM
Buttons.......That's my poison would rather find them than any other items. Old home sites seem to give up the most for me.
January 12, 2018 02:19PM
Jackpine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Field and woods hunting old home sites and Lumber
> Camps. Water hunting for jewelry,. Doing the rese
> arch to return lost class rings (over a dozen so f
> ar).
>
> Recently spent a half hour in below 0 windchill lo
> oking for dropped car keys. Grilled the guy befor
> e hand that he has checked all other alternatives.
> Turns out later he found them in one of the bags b
> rought into the house. ^(^&$&%*(
>
> Current favorite imbibement JD Rye standard versio
> n.

Hey Tom-----Those keys & rings are almost always lost where they think they weren't.-----Sometimes even under the cushions on the couch!smiling smiley
January 12, 2018 03:58PM
Jackpine Wrote:
> Field and woods hunting old home sites and Lumber
> Camps. Water hunting for jewelry,. Doing the rese
> arch to return lost class rings (over a dozen so f
> ar).
>
> Recently spent a half hour in below 0 windchill lo
> oking for dropped car keys. Grilled the guy befor
> e hand that he has checked all other alternatives.
> Turns out later he found them in one of the bags b
> rought into the house. ^(^&$&%*(
>
> Current favorite imbibement JD Rye standard versio
> n.

sigh....last summer spent 3 early Saturday mornings looking for missing wedding band...grilled the "loser" prior, and during 3rd hunt. finally said "its not there, you didnt lose it in the yard". a month later, he found it in the mailbox, he had put it in so he wouldnt lose it in the yard....SONOFA...
January 12, 2018 04:24PM
I hear you guys -- LOL!

Went to help a lady who said she lost her ring in her yard, raking leaves. I searched and searched -- should have been easy...not that big of a yard, and I gridded it carefully...no joy.

Come to find out, she scooped up all the leaves with her hands after raking them into piles, and bagged them all into several trash bags........

......trash bags that the garbage man already hauled off!

Gee, I wonder why all that searching didn't turn up the lost ring... LOL!

Steve
January 12, 2018 04:31PM
D&P-OR Wrote:
> Jackpine Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Field and woods hunting old home sites and Lumbe
> r
> > Camps. Water hunting for jewelry,. Doing the re
> se
> > arch to return lost class rings (over a dozen so
> f
> > ar).
> >
> > Recently spent a half hour in below 0 windchill
> lo
> > oking for dropped car keys. Grilled the guy bef
> or
> > e hand that he has checked all other alternative
> s.
> > Turns out later he found them in one of the bags
> b
> > rought into the house. ^(^&$&%*(
> >
> > Current favorite imbibement JD Rye standard vers
> io
> > n.
>
>
> Hey Tom-----Those keys & rings are almost always l
> ost where they think they weren't.-----Sometimes e
> ven under the cushions on the couch!smiling smiley

Del

I didn't have much hope from the outset. The driveway was plowed before I got there and some of the snow pushed as far as 30 yds into big piles. LOL Did find a couple pieces off the snow plow for his father in-law.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.