Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

A metal detecting club for Mid-Missouri

Posted by Bill B. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
A metal detecting club for Mid-Missouri
January 10, 2018 02:34PM
If anyone is interested in forming a metal detecting group in Mid-Missouri, either as a formal club or as a monthly informal gathering to talk and show off finds, I have reserved a conference room at the Columbia Public Library, 100 W. Broadway, from 7 until 8:30 on the evening of Monday, Jan. 29. Let's meet and greet, eat some pizza and see if there is enough interest to give the club a future.

We can have pizza delivered (I will buy). Bring your own soft drinks, coffee, etc. The library does not allow alcohol.

The conference room will seat up to 20 people. I hope we fill it up. I am posting this on several of the discussion forums.

Bill Book
Re: A metal detecting club for Mid-Missouri
January 10, 2018 06:47PM
Putting it on my calendar. Thanks!
January 10, 2018 07:33PM
What kind of Pizza? Ha
January 10, 2018 07:40PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What kind of Pizza? Ha

Silver Lover's. That's an extra-deep dish pizza. smileys with beer
January 11, 2018 03:56AM
Don't know how long you've been detecting, Bill, but I remember reading a national article during the last recession around 2009 give or take. It was about governments creating jobs for young workers and one part of the article was that Columbia MO was using kids to help replace all the sidewalks in the old part of town.

I remember thinking there were probably some really nice finds to be had if you lived there.
January 11, 2018 06:51AM
Columbia, sad to say, is one of the few towns in Missouri that has banned metal detecting on all city property. I wonder what the police would have said about people hunting the torn-up sidewalk strips? Wish I'd found out.
January 11, 2018 05:44PM
Metal detecting is not banned. But yes it is regulated which has opened up a bit in the past year with them starting permits. At least for the parks. It's limited to probes and popping but as long as you stay away from specifically defined areas (playgrounds, maintained ball fields, nature reserves) the park people will just wave at Lesche use. Just be clean and don't draw unnecessary attention. The schools are generally open as well although some now have fences and locked gates.

I typically go to smaller towns within an hour to get away from the city anyway. Town is too liberal for me to have confidence in door knocking.

[www.como.gov]
[library.municode.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2018 05:50PM by detectingMO.
January 11, 2018 09:31PM
That is good to know about Columbia. I will apply for a permit. But, like you, I plan on doing most of my future hunting far outside the city.
January 12, 2018 03:31AM
Bill B. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is good to know about Columbia. I will apply
> for a permit. But, like you, I plan on doing most
> of my future hunting far outside the city.

You can apply online and they will email your permit back very quickly (mine came back same day). No charge for it either.