Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The best writer on the Forums - why Mud-puppy of course

Posted by lytle78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
The best writer on the Forums - why Mud-puppy of course
January 11, 2018 04:45PM
This guy “Mud-puppy” is amazing. He holds forth mostly on the “Friendly” forum. His writing style is unique and I think it is some of the best prose I have read in a long time - and I read a lot of stuff from technical and business press to opinion and assorted trash. Dave Johnson over in El Paso at First Texas is a great fan of Mud - thinks mud’s an absolutely brilliant and gifted writer

I jumped on the “Seems California...” thread to defend him when Shoveler “dissed” him a bit - fair enough, Mud-puppy is not everyone’s ideal of the ideal detectorists. He is an omnivore when it comes to our favorite hobby/obsession. His view of hunting has more in common with a hungry bear than some more straight-laced detectorists.

Here’s a link to some great advice he posted for a newcomer. It’s Post #8 in the thread I’m linking to (it’s probably not a good idea to cross Post whole paragraphs from another forum)

[metaldetectingforum.com]

I will post his motto however - it’s A pretty good sample of his talent.

“Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.”

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
Re: The best writer on the Forums - why Mud-puppy of course
January 11, 2018 05:01PM
I agree with you Rick; he's different, but I really enjoy his posts. Funny, thought-provoking at times... LOL!

Steve
January 11, 2018 05:34PM
Yes. Mud-puppy has great creative writing skills. Must be related to Mark Twain, Ernest Hemingway, or John Steinbeck.
January 11, 2018 07:08PM
I really like John a lot! He's a very gifted writer as well as a great hunter and survivalist. Knowing animal and human behavior like he does puts him a leg up over most other humans.

tabman
January 11, 2018 07:23PM
I'm just curious---why did he get kicked off of Findmall?
January 11, 2018 07:29PM
D&P-OR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm just curious---why did he get kicked off of Fi
> ndmall?

Why does anyone get kicked from Findmall??!!? smoking smiley
January 11, 2018 07:47PM
SeabeeRon Wrote:
> D&P-OR Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm just curious---why did he get kicked off of
> Fi
> > ndmall?
>
>
> Why does anyone get kicked from Findmall??!!? smoking smiley

Probably stumbled across the dumb azz Views forum..where they stick together like flys on....patting each other on the azz every post.
January 11, 2018 08:07PM
I’m not sure what his “sin” was, but I think it was bad language and a refusal to properly beg for forgiveness - or something like that.

Rick Kempf
January 11, 2018 09:58PM
Good ole Mud is almost as funny in person as he is on the forums and talks much the same way. Had breakfast with him a couple years ago when he was passing through my area. He would be a pretty fun guy to hang with, for sure. John had been warned a time or two on Findmall to tone his frequent risqué rhetoric down a bit and one time to many crossed the line. Yeah, he can write. HH jim tn
January 11, 2018 10:41PM
Mr. Mud is a fun guy and a very talented individual indeed. He is someone I could definitely hang out and have a blast detecting with or kick back and have a couple beers. Just a great, down-to-earth guy that loves life. Too bad about F*ndmall as I miss his posts.
January 11, 2018 11:15PM
OK – crossposting material from another forum its a big no no – but I was really really tempted with this one – and it’s not even for mud puppy but I think it’s almost up to his level! I know it’s a PITA to have to click on the link do it just this time you’ll think of me.

[www.treasurenet.com]

Rick Kempf
January 12, 2018 09:55AM
Mud is a genius. Funny that he'll eat or drink what he finds while out detecting.....like an unopened soda or beer....He would do well as a homeless guy, with all his skills.
January 12, 2018 01:50PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> I will post his motto however - it’s A pretty good
> sample of his talent.
>
> “Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction
> with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets,
> and metals desire to return to the Earth from when
> ce it came.”

This reputedly brilliant author is apparently unfamiliar with the possessive apostrophe: Mankind's and metal's.
January 12, 2018 02:10PM
ozzie Wrote:
> Mud is a genius. Funny that he'll eat or drink wha
> t he finds while out detecting.....like an unopene
> d soda or beer....He would do well as a homeless g
> uy, with all his skills.

One post in particular he made just cracked me up.-----(Words something like this)---he said he was hunting under bleachers & come upon a opened tootsie roll--which he immediately ate.---He also said that a man could eat really well after some of those games if he wasn't too particular.-------I told him he better be careful eating those tootsie rolls---there was dogs in the area!grinning smiley
January 12, 2018 06:02PM
lytle78
I find the writings of Mud to be strained and forced , like a person seeking to be the life of the party by putting a lamp shade on their head and dancing around or the tendency today that becomes more and more popular of trying to write in "ebonics". If however , that type of prose is your cup of tea and you have not read him before , may I suggest a heavy dose of Richard Brautigan , in particular "The Confederate General from Big Sur",.,.,. it may even be Mud's biography winking smiley
January 12, 2018 06:35PM
shoveler Wrote:
> lytle78
> I find the writings of Mud to be strained and forc
> ed , like a person seeking to be the life of the p
> arty by putting a lamp shade on their head and dan
> cing around or the tendency today that becomes mor
> e and more popular of trying to write in "ebonics"
> . If however , that type of prose is your cup of t
> ea and you have not read him before , may I sugges
> t a heavy dose of Richard Brautigan , in particula
> r "The Confederate General from Big Sur",.,.,. it
> may even be Mud's biography winking smiley

The writing really does not flow smooth and often just seems contrived.....may be wrong.
Seems more of someone trying to show off his ability to write a little to hard, a Ford Gt is fast but the Model T is also a icon.
Keep it simple it works just as well if not better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2018 06:42PM by guvmore.
January 12, 2018 06:50PM
I don't think there is any question that Mud seeks out some of the words he uses, settings for some of his tales and ad-libs and enhances some of the things he says he does, but the fact remains, he is a good and funny story teller in my opinion. I did on Findmall and now over on Friendly, always enjoyed his tales. And no doubt, he is a clad stabber supreme. HH jim tn
January 12, 2018 06:52PM
Mud was suppose to visit me a couple years ago,but business took him on a route that allowed him to have breakfast with Jim TN--wish I could have been there.

A poster above said Mud didn't appreciate the possessive apostrophe and he may not,however,when you're Mud you don't haff(sic) too.
I've probably learned more about survival from Mud's postings than from any survival book.
January 12, 2018 10:31PM
Memory serves me, Mud builds some fine watercraft.......am I correct in saying that? Or was it someone else on the forums?
January 12, 2018 10:44PM
yep that's Mud.

ozzie Wrote:
> Memory serves me, Mud builds some fine watercraft.
> ......am I correct in saying that? Or was it someo
> ne else on the forums?
January 12, 2018 10:51PM
Thanks EPL II....the brain still has it's good moments, lol
January 12, 2018 11:10PM
Shoveler, I give you full marks as a commentator on and practitioner of ethical metal detecting.

As a literary critic - not so much.

But then, tastes do differ.

Rick Kempf
January 12, 2018 11:10PM
Sooner or later Mud and I are going to meet up and do some detecting together. I just have to see him firsthand stabbing all those clad coins so fast. It's hard to say anything bad about Mud because he's a super nice guy and is really talented.

tabman
January 13, 2018 04:19AM
thumbs down a motto well said.