Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

MXT Pro Notches Out Beaver Tail Pull Tabs

Posted by tabman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
MXT Pro Notches Out Beaver Tail Pull Tabs
January 11, 2018 06:46PM
I didn't read about this anywhere, but I happened upon it while playing around with my MXT Pro settings. Pull tabs are notched out, but foil, nickels, zinc pennies and clad coins are still detected. Is anyone else aware of how this is done?

tabman
Re: MXT Pro Notches Out Beaver Tail Pull Tabs
January 11, 2018 08:59PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKLEM4hLzwk

Works with mxt tracker also.

Edit: I think he's in coin mode, trigger forward.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2018 09:00PM by Mike C.
January 12, 2018 12:17AM
I read where the MXT Tracker could notch out pull tabs, but I haven't found anywhere written that the MXT Pro could do the same thing.

tabman
January 12, 2018 12:26AM
Along with the gold rings....
January 12, 2018 12:45AM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Along with the gold rings....

Ooooohhhh , gotta be a kill-joy, eh ? haha

I remember when the very first Teknetics was demonstrated to our club meeting. It was about 1983, at a time when the only type disc. we had, up till then , was "progressive knob". So that whatever you had knocked out, you automatically knocked out everything lower than that as well.

The dealer did podium demonstrations for the audience. He waved a foil wad. It gave a certain tone. Then he waved a nickel, it gave a distinct different tone. Then he waved a pulltab. It gave a 3rd distinct tone ! Then he waved a gold ring, and it gave a distinct different 4th tone !! Everyone in the audience was awestruck. Several guys ran out and bought themselves one. No doubt having images of digging gold rings till your arms fall off, while effortlessly passing tabs, foil, etc.... Eh ?

The they were in for a cruel awakening, when it became clear in-the-field that an awful lot of cr*p exactly mimics and awful lot of gold rings. Doh !
January 12, 2018 12:47AM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
> Along with the gold rings....

Did you enjoy the football game? I'm a huge Alabama fan. LOL

tabman
January 12, 2018 12:59AM
Yep, there are a lot of gold rings that fall in the beaver tail range, but there are also a lot of gold rings that fall in the foil and nickel range. So if you find yourself in a field of tens of thousands of beaver tail pull tabs then notching them out isn't a bad option. Besides, if I was solely after gold rings I'd be swinging a Tesoro Golden µMax. It's a gold ring magnet!

tabman
January 12, 2018 03:20AM
Tabman....rel Alabama.....4 top teams were pretty much equal.....coaching was the key......
January 12, 2018 05:56AM
Tabman --

Why do you say the Golden µMax is a "gold ring magnet." What do you feel it does to differentiate a gold ring from, say, a ring tab?

Steve
January 12, 2018 10:40AM
X-T 705 with an 18.75 kHz elliptical coil and no notches just ignore the bouncers in the nickel-pull tab range. works on beaver tails whether complete or in pieces.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
January 12, 2018 02:06PM
steveg Wrote:
> Tabman --
>
> Why do you say the Golden µMax is a "gold ring mag
> net." What do you feel it does to differentiate a
> gold ring from, say, a ring tab?
>
> Steve

I used both the old tone and the newer high audio tone Golden µMax detectors. I found more than enough gold rings dirt fishing to pay for each one many times over. The problem was most people never would take the time to learn properly how to use one to its fullest potential. I never used the 'notch' feature except to move the audio tones around. I'd still have mine except for the fact that the town where I live banned metal detecting at its parks and sports fields. I now have to drive into Memphis to do mostly old silver coin hunting. The high tone version Golden µMax that I had and sold was paired up with a 8 inch round concentric search coil that would easily high tone on a 8 inch dime. It was a hot one! Mike did a couple of great videos showing how best to use the Golden µMax. As you can easily see from the videos that the detector could do some amazing things, BUT the average user would never spend the time to learn the detector. It was too many dials and switches for most.

Video #1

Video #2

tabman
January 15, 2018 07:08PM
Apparently I'm the very first to ever post about the MXT Pro being able to notch out pull tabs. However I did have one pull that had a ID of 47 that wouldn't notch out. Apparently the top end of the notch is just below 47. It's probably 45. I just love my MXT Pro. Video

tabman
January 16, 2018 11:58PM
tabman Wrote:
> I read where the MXT Tracker could notch out pull
> tabs, but I haven't found anywhere written that th
> e MXT Pro could do the same thing.
>
> tabman

Sorry I miss-read your post.

Was it the same as the the Tracker which I was thinking was coin/jewelry trigger forward?

Also what kind of depth can you get with the coil your running? (9.5x5.5 sharpshooter?)

I would really like to get my hands on a Pro.
January 17, 2018 11:14PM
Mike C Wrote:
> tabman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I read where the MXT Tracker could notch out pul
> l
> > tabs, but I haven't found anywhere written that
> th
> > e MXT Pro could do the same thing.
> >
> > tabman
>
>
> Sorry I miss-read your post.
>
> Was it the same as the the Tracker which I was thi
> nking was coin/jewelry trigger forward?
>
> Also what kind of depth can you get with the coil
> your running? (9.5x5.5 sharpshooter?)
>
> I would really like to get my hands on a Pro.

The search coil that I'm using in the video is the Detech 5 x 10 SEF. I get around 8 inches on a dime in my mild soil. Even if people don't want to use the hidden notch feature on the MXT Pro they'd better flip though the audio tones after switching from the Relic mode to the Coin/Jewelry mode or else they'll not hear the targets in the pull tab range.

tabman
January 17, 2018 11:26PM
Thanks for the info.
January 18, 2018 11:04AM
There is more than one type of pull tab........ like 3 i find on my beaches. Each coming in at different digits on a CTX. Then we get the broken ones and..... the beaver tails lol.
January 18, 2018 07:32PM
I hate the 12-20 pop tabs and the 12-22 pull tabs.