Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My best finds of 2017

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
My best finds of 2017
January 12, 2018 03:43PM
2017 was a good year for my detecting, primarily due to the continuation of finds from the confederate camp begun the previous autumn.
I hunted up to Christmas eve before the sub-freezing temps moved in for the rest of the year, making a nice recovery on 12/18 of my first identifiable 1700s coin. Remarkably, it is a 1773 Irish George III halfpenny found in a disked tobacco field in the Greensboro, NC area. Another interesting find early in 2017 from the confederate camp, is what I take to be a cuff link with an anchor on the front of it. The front is not whole and became detached in the process of recovery.

as found

coin reference:
[www.irishcoinage.com]

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
Re: My best finds of 2017
January 12, 2018 03:48PM
That CSA button is Sweet!
January 12, 2018 04:06PM
Breaking into the 1700's coins has got to be thrill.
That North Carolina starburst is nice, too.

HH
Mike
January 12, 2018 04:20PM
VERY cool digs!! What's the 1700s coin?

And what's the silvery disk in the top pic? A burned/melted coin?

Steve
January 12, 2018 04:21PM
Wow! Good stuff there congrats!
January 12, 2018 05:05PM
Sweet finds Wayne!

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
January 12, 2018 05:07PM
Hey other wayne = you have some outstanding finds in that mix!

Love the starburst and csa buttons thumbs down

Congrats
January 12, 2018 05:59PM
Very nice---esp. the CSA button.
January 12, 2018 07:22PM
Nice Wayne...

Yes I remember those AWESOME Reb Digs!!

Big time Congrats

Hard to do now a days

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
January 14, 2018 05:30PM
Thanks, guys, for the views and for the kind remarks. Yes, anything with CS or CSA on it is VERY special. My hunting partner in the camp found his CSA button first. I REALLY wanted one after that. It's the last confed button we have found there. A colonial button and a flat one have surfaced since then so there is still hope. Maybe with the Equinox <vbg>?
There are scattered woods in the general area I have not yet been over, and another friend and I will be exploring those this winter and spring. So another button or better might find its way into one pouch or another. We'll see. As Keith says, hard to do these days. But it does happen. I just hope we have some nicer winter weather than we have had. I'm beginning to feel like a yankee digger (brrr). This cold weather is cutting in on my detecting time.
Yes, Mike, a 1700s coin was certainly on my bucket list. Took about 2 weeks after the find to get an ID. REX on one side and the prominent pillar (right side of harp) were the dominant clues.
Steve, the silvery looking item in the first picture is just a flat button with a little shine to it picking up the light. The coin I found is a 1773 Irish George III halfpenny. I gave a URL to a reference coin that is identical except for date. My coin is clipped at the date, either through wear or misalignment. It is very thin.

Good luck in 2018 to all you guys!

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
January 14, 2018 06:58PM
You done well getting a date off the Hibernia coin, i rarely get a good one with a date here in Ireland, there nearly always toast.
It's funny how a foreign coin sticks in the memory, from my finds this year it's a Barber dime that i remember digging the most!
January 15, 2018 06:52PM
Wayne

Yes 1700s coppers are NICE!!

I'm glad to see you making such great finds...The REB stuff is my burning passion...I wish you more Goodies this year!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla