Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Disseminating another attribute

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Disseminating another attribute
July 17, 2008 01:08AM
During head-to-head comparison testing, many differences usually present themselves between different units/brands....... especially in real-world scenarios. Something I have been meaning to share....... another F-75/T-2 attribute........ that no other detector (as of yet) reveals the same attribute.

Items that contain BOTH ferrous AND non-ferrous metals...... the F-75/T-2 platform steps into the forefront. For example; many old relic/buttons have a copper/brass/bronze front (non-ferrous) conductively homogenized to a backing of iron (ferrous). A brass hinge may still be mounted to a iron base. A non-ferrous flintlock pistol hammer may still have the long (ferrous) screw, still attached. I have even found a 4" iron nail .... driven thru a wheat penny. ALL of these targets pose a ferrous AND non-ferrous component.

The Minelab Explorer will not "lock on" to any specific tone..... and certain to ID in the 'iron' range a fair amount....... with the ID bouncing all over the board (spectrum). The CZ will bounce between iron and some other non-ferrous tone; subsequently causing the operator to think the coil is being passed over iron,,,, that presents a certain level of 'falsing' (with that being the higher tones...other than iron)...... ULTIMATELY causing the operator to NOT want to dig a target that (these) detectors report. A zero "lock-on", ratty response.

On the single-freq T-2/F-75 platform..... ALL of these types of targets have a greater propensity to ID.... MUCH more-so, into the NON-ferrous range. Sure, the ID numbers may read fairly low..... but NOT into the 'iron' VDI ID numbers.

More food for thought.

Tom
In fact with a "perfect" sweep it will give a very accurate ID on the non-ferrous target equal to what it reads once the iron is removed. The Edge and T2 make for a great pair to hunt an iron site with due to the difference in frequency, coil types and circuit design.

Tom
Tom...... I wish I could say that I had the same results that you have had, regarding the ID Edge.
I really feel..
July 18, 2008 08:51PM
Most serious detectorists if they can afford it will have several units to meet
different conditions or perhaps a variety of acc. coils if they wish to excell.
In addendum (no best detector) just one that works for the hunter or for the existing conditions..
Re: Disseminating another attribute
July 20, 2008 11:37AM
That explains why I find so many small eyelets at my relic site with the 75 that are either copper or brass attached to a small fragment of ferrous material. I do't get that with my other detectors. I also get alot of old buttons that are mainly ferrous with a copper stem in the middle with the 75.
July 20, 2008 01:20PM
Welcome back Brad!..... and you validate this thread/post with the interjected "variable" of your dirt conditions. These are the good-to-know "technicals".

Tom
July 26, 2008 05:26AM
Great info..thanks..