Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Thoughts about the Whites DFX

Posted by ShovelNose 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Thoughts about the Whites DFX
January 19, 2018 12:24AM
With all the talk about the good buys out there and the conversation about the MXT had me wondering about the DFX. Multi frequency and with the broad choice of coils looks like it could be a good unit for a inexpensive back up for family and friends to try at the beach or at on the fields. Any thoughts about it would be appreciated. JR
Re: Thoughts about the Whites DFX
January 19, 2018 01:29AM
IMO the DFX is a great unit. Especially now since they are considered long in the tooth, too hard to program etc. and are being let go at great prices.

They are a great beach unit in the wet sand using the dual frequency option, and when going to the dry looking for jewelry switching to the single higher frequency, or if coin shooting the single low. The Best Data or Correlate option can be used when applicable.

Main thing to know is when altering the pre amp gain and sensitivity, it can make it unstable. It's best to only change a few settings at a time and only slightly. Lots of hunters tried to juice that baby up too much and too fast and ran into issues or could not figure it out. It does take some time.

With a bunch of coil options and I believe Whites still servicing them, finding one in the $300-$350 price range that's in good shape is a great deal.

Putting it in the hands of a newbie using the coin/jewelry program with maybe a bump up in pre-amp gain or sens to give a bit more depth, as long as it's stable in the conditions they will be hunting, they will have fun.
January 19, 2018 01:32AM
The DFX was My second Detector after the XLT. I liked it Best with the small 5.3 eclipse coil. I left it in coins mode with a few tweaks. Most prefered Coin and Jewelry but I found it a little more precise as far as splitting hairs with numbers in Coin mode. It could tell a Silver dime from a clad once You get to know the Numbers. I found a lot of old Silver at a fave spot I had with the DFX. .It's a good and very underated Detector.
January 19, 2018 05:17AM
I have had my DFX about 15 years and was one of the very 1st batch here in the UK,was my everyday machine for 10 years but in recent years its not been used alot,wont part with it as i occasionally use it on the beach,but i feel its downfall is that they are not easy machine to master,they do like finding gold though and i usually run my solely in 15khz apart from of course when on wet sand then its dual freq,favourite coil for my permissions is the 10x6 coil.

Certainly some bargain to be had in the last 6 months for sure.
January 19, 2018 11:40AM
ANYONE who gets a DFX needs to read DIGGING DEEPER WITH THE DFX or you just wont understand the machine..... because the combo of settings can be frustrating. Good beach machine.... not quite as deep as the Explores.... but in the dry the 15Khz does better than multi freq. On some beaches it wont GB so it has a preset..... how that affects smaller gold im not sure. I found they needed to be tuned occasionally as well by Whites or they really lost depth. GB isnt nearly as good as the MXT. Its not a machine id just hand to someone....... it could make it un-fun.
January 19, 2018 11:54AM
A small learning curve to get the most out of a very good detector!
January 19, 2018 12:10PM
There's one on Craigslist, Norfolk Va. A Dfx 300, 2012 unit, used only a few times. $750.
January 19, 2018 03:25PM
The DFX is a really good detector. The problem most had with the DFX is that they didn't take the time to learn how to use it. It came from the factory with very mild preset programs enabling it to be used most everywhere without having false signals. As mentioned above, the "Digging Deeper with the DFX" book is outstanding at helping a person to understand the features and adjustments. Make some custom programs, save them, and go detect!.