Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My hoarding of Detectors. Is it genetic?

Posted by woodchiphustler 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
My hoarding of Detectors. Is it genetic?
January 23, 2018 05:25PM
My late mother was a hoarder of shoes. When she passed away we found many pairs still in boxes never used. My son has every video game system possible and alas I have detectors laying around with coils that have never seen dirt. I can afford to keep them and as I start the sell off I'm finding I can't let go even though I need to. Anyone else suffer from this?
Re: My hoarding of Detectors. Is it genetic?
January 23, 2018 05:36PM
HA!

My suggestion is to make your list. Chose your top 10 and then sell all but that top 10. Wait awhile, then review your top 10, cull down to top 6. Wait awhile and then cull down to your actual performers, what ever that number might be and then go on and enjoy life.

Good luck,
HH
Mike
January 23, 2018 06:47PM
LoL
January 23, 2018 07:42PM
not genetic...is psychological....

requires a 12 step process.

1. buy 12 more detectors.

2. try buying only 11 more detectors..

somewhere down the line, you will be cured.
January 23, 2018 07:49PM
Rod-PA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> not genetic...is psychological....
>
> requires a 12 step process.
>
> 1. buy 12 more detectors.
>
> 2. try buying only 11 more detectors..
>
> somewhere down the line, you will be cured.

Lol
Dr Rod has spoken.
January 23, 2018 07:50PM
LOL!!!

Steve
January 23, 2018 08:47PM
I just decide on My 3 Faves and kept them. That's seems like the right amount for Me.
January 23, 2018 11:55PM
Rod-PA Wrote:
> not genetic...is psychological....
>
> requires a 12 step process.
>
> 1. buy 12 more detectors.
>
> 2. try buying only 11 more detectors..
>
> somewhere down the line, you will be cured.

............I already went thru the 12 step process, now I'm working at purchasing 12 more analog metal detectors with a goal of 24...LOL

They are giving away used analog machines, just bought a closet queen Classic ID with both the stock coil and the rare Ferret HotHead coil made by the defunct Discovery Electronics..Just the ticket for trashy old sites.
January 24, 2018 01:50AM
Nice snag there Hombre! Alas, I just sold my second IDX to help fund my new Equinox 800. I've had up to about 12 detectors at any one time, and at least 50 over my lifetime. Now I'm down to only four detectors total, a number that has taken me 20 years to work back down to, but I can't part with any more. So it seems four is my magic number. For the last few years, I've been steady with a V3i, an MXT, and an XL Pro, with a new Equinox 800 on the way.

To whittle it down to just four, I came to the realization that I could only really learn to be truly proficient with a handful of detectors and that if I had too many I'd spread my time too thin and I wouldn't be able to become proficient on any. So I set four as my maximum number. This has worked pretty well and lets me really focus on learning just a few detectors. That's what worked for me. But I will keep trying different detectors and if I come across one that is clearly much better than it will replace one in my collection. Kind of like a constant rolling upgrade cycle.
January 24, 2018 02:12AM
Hey Darrin.......sent you a PM
January 24, 2018 06:57AM
Definitely genetic woodchip, so quit fighting it and enjoy your collection.

Take pride in knowing that you are BY FAR the best at hoarding in your family.thumbs down
January 24, 2018 03:16PM
Part of hobby that's what keeps the buy and sell forums going...Bought one rifle and one shotgun and hunted with them for 30 plus years..Must have used over 100 detectors in last 25 go figger..
January 24, 2018 07:14PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
> Part of hobby that's what keeps the buy and sell f
> orums going...Bought one rifle and one shotgun and
> hunted with them for 30 plus years..Must have used
> over 100 detectors in last 25 go figger..

Hey Dan, How many of them 100 we're CZs My Friend? Ha.
January 25, 2018 03:32AM
Harold used every model ever made of CZ's and some more than once..Gosh sold or traded some dandies...
January 25, 2018 03:48AM
George I always thought that we were related this confirms that we must be. I have 8 machines that I use and 3 that were passed down to me from my dad and uncle and my father in law that has went on to be with the Good Lord. My uncle was the one who got me interested when I was a kid I then got my dad and father in law into detecting.
January 25, 2018 03:06PM
88junior Wrote:
> George I always thought that we were related this
> confirms that we must be. I have 8 machines that I
> use and 3 that were passed down to me from my dad
> and uncle and my father in law that has went on to
> be with the Good Lord. My uncle was the one who go
> t me interested when I was a kid I then got my dad
> and father in law into detecting.

Thanks 88. It is nice to hear you talk about family. It's a shame some folks here thought it was funny. But that's ok.
January 26, 2018 06:35AM
woodchip, I was chuckling because I thought the intent of the initial post was to be at least somewhat humorous. If you were serious about your family having a hoarding problem I owe you a huge apology for being so insensitive.

Do you have large quantities of other things besides detectors? That's the question I would ask myself. If detectors (and detecting paraphernalia) are all you have large quantities of then don't sweat it. You are a collector not a hoarder.
January 26, 2018 03:51PM
marcomo Wrote:
> woodchip, I was chuckling because I thought the in
> tent of the initial post was to be at least somewh
> at humorous. If you were serious about your famil
> y having a hoarding problem I owe you a huge apolo
> gy for being so insensitive.
>
> Do you have large quantities of other things besid
> es detectors? That's the question I would ask mys
> elf. If detectors (and detecting paraphernalia) a
> re all you have large quantities of then don't swe
> at it. You are a collector not a hoarder.

No worry marcom. It seems I hoard fishing rods and golf clubs also. Having been a prolific relic hunter over many years it is strange that I never placed as much value on those many coins and artifacts I have been fortunate enough to find. I still have " The First" of each category of objects found. Beyond that it has been all about using different detectors to find a" better mousetrap".
January 26, 2018 07:00PM
If you love detecting, fishing and golf, collecting items connected to the sports you love...I'd still call that collecting, not hoarding.

Now if you have hundreds of detectors, hundreds of rods, beaucoup sets of clubs, and are filling up room after room with them, then you might legitimately think that the collecting has gotten a bit out of hand.
January 26, 2018 10:22PM
marcomo Wrote:
> If you love detecting, fishing and golf, collectin
> g items connected to the sports you love...I'd sti
> ll call that collecting, not hoarding.
>
> Now if you have hundreds of detectors, hundreds of
> rods, beaucoup sets of clubs, and are filling up r
> oom after room with them, then you might legitimat
> ely think that the collecting has gotten a bit out
> of hand.

I also have a wife. That will never happen.
January 26, 2018 11:02PM
Hoarding or collecting, same thing in my world, I thought I was bad with about 17 detectors,,,,, then I saw a picture of Carl Moreland's collection....WOW... There is a guy on the Compass Forum that posted a pic of his detectors that were lined up against a fence, must have been a 100 of them....LOL