Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Pro pointer

Posted by Pac man 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Pro pointer
December 24, 2013 08:48PM
Man this things gone bonkers I guess. Sounds off almost constantly. Changed the battery and the same thing. Any ideals guys?

Thinking on a replacing if needed with a Minelab Pro find. Any you guys used one?
I have been happy with the Garrett up until now buy really with my lay off time for medical reasons the total usage for it has been maybe 7 months and never abused.

Suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
Re: Pro pointer
December 24, 2013 09:18PM
Tried both. Saw no difference except paying an extra $40 for the Minelab logo.
December 24, 2013 09:34PM
With the Propointer, the only mechanical issues that I know of with them is the on/off switch, but that should have nothing to do with your problem.

I have two. One of them sounds off around my Compadre and causes the Compadre to sounded like bacon frying....LOL.

It does this up to about three feet away. I even sent the Compadre in to be checked and it was fine, so I started testing it.

The same one has also sounded off under powerlines, in the house, when the battery gets low and sometimes when I get into certain areas with red clay here in Georgia. The rest of the time it is fine.

Compadre runs at 12khz, so it seems that the Propointer runs around 12khz also.

I am assuming it has issues with certain areas of EMI and anything with a frequency in that range.

With the other one, I have no issues at all anywhere or with any of my detectors.

Have you tried it outside away from everthing?

Hope this helps!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2013 09:40PM by smokey63.
December 24, 2013 09:40PM
try putting a Quarter in the end cap..to hold the battery tighter!
December 24, 2013 09:52PM
Yeah. I would think loose battery. It's a common problem and an easy fix. Just put something between the battery and end cap.
December 24, 2013 10:02PM
Tell us how skilled you are, with fiddly disassembly / reassembly type work. There's things worth trying if you're prepared to take it apart.
December 24, 2013 10:12PM
Thin cardboard in the battery cap did it for me on my last one.
December 25, 2013 01:07AM
Sometimes moisture gets into the ProPointer from dew and rinsing it off. Remove the battery cap and the rubber boot cover on the power switch and let it air out for a day or so. Doing this has saved me from having to send it in to the factory on more than one ocassion.

tabman
December 25, 2013 04:39AM
I'd spend $7.00 & send it back to Garrett. They'll probably replace it for free.
December 25, 2013 09:38AM
Send it back to Garrett. They will take care of you...smiling smiley
December 25, 2013 02:39PM
I had one that did that, sent it back to Garrett for repairs. Pointer was out of warranty, I think the repair cost was $60.00. Pointer came back looking like a new unit, it has been working perfect since.