Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CTX loose lower shaft and coil strain relief fix.

Posted by Sand dog 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CTX loose lower shaft and coil strain relief fix.
February 02, 2018 01:23AM
Early last summer I bought a used 17” coil for my CTX for beach hunting, I noticed that the strain relief had a slight split in it and knew I needed to do something right away being that I was mainly hunting the saltwater surf line but didn’t want the repair to make coil look butchered. I came across this stuff called sugru “ moldable glue that turns to rubber” and gave it a try, the repair came out awesome and has held up perfect. At the end on my detecting season my lower shaft on my CTX started to twist so I took apart the cam lock “ punched out the 2 pressed in pins” and took the internal friction part out and could see that the 2 rubber friction pads were worn. I contacted Minelab to see about getting a replacement part and it was a no go they said I’d have to send machine in to get fixed. At that point I remembered that moldable glue I fixed my coil with and proceeded to carve out all the old rubber in the cam lock and filled it with the sugru. I let it dry for 3 days “says dries in 24hrs” but I let it go longer because of the thickness of the repair. I put it all back together and it was too tight so back apart it came and I trimmed the new friction pads down put it back together again and it’s like brand new. Shaft won’t twist anymore and I didn’t have to send machine in. Was very easy to do. I’m not sure I’m allowed to post the name of the stuff I used so if I broke any rules please remove post. I just wanted to let anyone that has the same problem know that this stuff sugru worked great and has held up perfect. Thanks

John
Re: CTX loose lower shaft and coil strain relief fix.
February 02, 2018 01:43AM
John,
I have seen the product in my local Walmart. I have never used. I may though in the future. Thanks for sharing.

[www.consumerreports.org]

[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 01:48AM by Sod-buster.
February 02, 2018 02:31PM
I find it frustrating that Minelab won't sell parts. I had the battery go bad on the wireless module. Not only won't they sell the battery, they won't fix it and want you to buy a new one.
February 02, 2018 04:25PM
Crosby Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I find it frustrating that Minelab won't sell part
> s. I had the battery go bad on the wireless module
> . Not only won't they sell the battery, they won't
> fix it and want you to buy a new one.

Crosby,
You can replace the battery yourself or have a friend do. Suitable substitute batteries can be had for looks like $11.

[m.youtube.com]

[www.findmall.com]

[www.findmall.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 04:36PM by Sod-buster.
February 03, 2018 02:05AM
I went a somewhat different route and bought a bigger, name brand battery. I removed the speaker to make it fit. I wasn't big on the notion of ordering on on eBay that ships from China.