CTX loose lower shaft and coil strain relief fix.
February 02, 2018 01:23AM
Early last summer I bought a used 17” coil for my CTX for beach hunting, I noticed that the strain relief had a slight split in it and knew I needed to do something right away being that I was mainly hunting the saltwater surf line but didn’t want the repair to make coil look butchered. I came across this stuff called sugru “ moldable glue that turns to rubber” and gave it a try, the repair came out awesome and has held up perfect. At the end on my detecting season my lower shaft on my CTX started to twist so I took apart the cam lock “ punched out the 2 pressed in pins” and took the internal friction part out and could see that the 2 rubber friction pads were worn. I contacted Minelab to see about getting a replacement part and it was a no go they said I’d have to send machine in to get fixed. At that point I remembered that moldable glue I fixed my coil with and proceeded to carve out all the old rubber in the cam lock and filled it with the sugru. I let it dry for 3 days “says dries in 24hrs” but I let it go longer because of the thickness of the repair. I put it all back together and it was too tight so back apart it came and I trimmed the new friction pads down put it back together again and it’s like brand new. Shaft won’t twist anymore and I didn’t have to send machine in. Was very easy to do. I’m not sure I’m allowed to post the name of the stuff I used so if I broke any rules please remove post. I just wanted to let anyone that has the same problem know that this stuff sugru worked great and has held up perfect. Thanks

John
Re: CTX loose lower shaft and coil strain relief fix.
February 02, 2018 01:43AM
John,
I have seen the product in my local Walmart. I have never used. I may though in the future. Thanks for sharing.

[www.consumerreports.org]

[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 01:48AM by Sod-buster.
February 02, 2018 02:31PM
I find it frustrating that Minelab won't sell parts. I had the battery go bad on the wireless module. Not only won't they sell the battery, they won't fix it and want you to buy a new one.
February 02, 2018 04:25PM
Crosby Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I find it frustrating that Minelab won't sell part
> s. I had the battery go bad on the wireless module
> . Not only won't they sell the battery, they won't
> fix it and want you to buy a new one.

Crosby,
You can replace the battery yourself or have a friend do. Suitable substitute batteries can be had for looks like $11.

[m.youtube.com]

[www.findmall.com]

[www.findmall.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 04:36PM by Sod-buster.
February 03, 2018 02:05AM
I went a somewhat different route and bought a bigger, name brand battery. I removed the speaker to make it fit. I wasn't big on the notion of ordering on on eBay that ships from China.