Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Just a pinpointer, but Wow!

Posted by lytle78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Just a pinpointer, but Wow!
February 06, 2018 01:36AM
On a thread below, the designer of the new First Texas (Fisher/Teknetics) pinpointer posted a thoughtful answer to a customer review. THE STINKING DESIGNER!!

“Thanks for the feedback. I had not seen the lock-up near big metal, I'll take a look and see what's going on. Meanwhile... don't do that.
The full-bore response at 1" is the best I could get without a substantially more difficult analog design. Getting 3-4" of usable sensitivity meant full overload at about 1". Once you hit overload, the processing game is over.”

Is this the start of a new era in the relationship between metal detector companies and their most informed customers?

Heck, probably not, the Marketing Departments of the various companies probably have a lot of votes in that particular decision...but imagine if it were to happen, for real - and from now on??

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 03:12AM by lytle78.
Re: Just a pinpointer, but Wow!
February 06, 2018 05:10AM
Carl Moreland has always been engaged with the detecting community and has done a ton to advance technological knowledge for the detecting rank and file.

Wasn't he the lead designer behind the TRX when he was at Whites? There's a lot of $ in the pinpointer market, and First Texas wasn't competing with their lousy old school F Point/Bounty Hunter design. I would imagine that TRX on Mr. Moreland's resume looked awfully sweet to FT when they hired him.
February 06, 2018 05:39AM
I need to look into getting a new pin pointer. For the last couple of years I've been using the Garrett carrot top, and to be honest I hate it.
8 out of 10 times when I turn it on it doesn't detect anything, so I'm now in the habit of every time I turn it on making sure I can detect my shovel .
I've also noticed that sometimes, even though it will detect my shovel, when I'm in my hole or clod trying to locate the target it will not detect a small size target like a dime or smaller.

I don't need anything fancy, I don't need to be able to program the thing, what I'm looking for is something that turns on fast, unlike the carrot top, and shuts off fast, unlike the carrot top, and is reliable. it just needs to locate the metal in the hole, that's all I need.

Any suggestions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 05:42AM by Cal_cobra.
February 06, 2018 05:45AM
Brian, you might just have a lemon carrot.eye rolling smiley

I do like mine, but I have noticed that if I'm not careful it is especially susceptible to detuning when I turn it on.
February 06, 2018 06:03AM
marcomo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Brian, you might just have a lemon carrot.eye rolling smiley
>
> I do like mine, but I have noticed that if I'm not
> careful it is especially susceptible to detuning w
> hen I turn it on.

For sure my carrot top is a lemon (mixing fruits and vegetables eh?).

I need to send itt in to Garrett. I've been considering sending them a note telling them how much I hate it, and asking if they would simply replace it with a pro pointer 2 when I send it in for repair.
February 06, 2018 07:11AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> I need to look into getting a new pin pointer. Fo
> r the last couple of years I've been using the Gar
> rett carrot top, and to be honest I hate it.
> 8 out of 10 times when I turn it on it doesn't det
> ect anything, so I'm now in the habit of every ti
> me I turn it on making sure I can detect my shovel
> .
> I've also noticed that sometimes, even though it
> will detect my shovel, when I'm in my hole or clod
> trying to locate the target it will not detect a s
> mall size target like a dime or smaller.

I thought I was alone... I had the same issues with mine. Unfortunately my nerves were not as strong as yours. My carrot is in parts...
I bought the black Garrett II and the problems are less. Of course it turns of immediately (even near metal, unlike the carrot), but it jams occasionally like the carrot, when you move it "too fast" towards metal (even a smaller object). This PP is also not sensitive enough for the real tiny stuff.

What are the alternatives?... I was thinking about Fisher/Teknetics, but it's still too early to decide.
TRX? "Mike in CO" made a test with his TRX for me and it looked like it doesn't have these issues, but for some reason I'm not sure about the tip detection zone only "feature" (and the fact that a sensitive zone appears again near the switch area).

I came across the "Deteknix Xpointer" a few days ago, but then I discovered that there are two identical looking versions. The older one seems to be way more sensitive than the new one. Of course you can only buy the new version these days (the only optical difference is the logo).

So much trouble finding a "simple" (perfect/good working) product like a pinpointer. In 2018...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 07:13AM by x2000.
February 06, 2018 07:31AM
You're not the only ones that hated the Carrott. Mine falsed all the time in the dirt here. I didn't know half the time if I was chasing an actual target or just getting false signals. I sold mine before I smashed it and got a Whites TRX. It is a step or two above the Carrott but I will probably try one of these Fisher/Teknetics just because I'm not exactly sold on the TRX either. It doesn't false but strangely, I don't like the sensitivity only coming from the tip. It has taken some adjusting to get use to for sure. I'm detectorless now anyways so I have time to wait.
February 06, 2018 01:49PM
I still use my hand.
grinning smiley
February 06, 2018 02:15PM
woodchiphustler Wrote:
> I still use my hand.
> grinning smiley

double entendre, lol
February 06, 2018 04:20PM
I use the Nokta pin pointer. It turns on and off a bit slow but it works very well as far as I'm concerned. Decent price too. Water proof, sensitivity is adjustable too. Check them out. I'd buy another one.
February 06, 2018 05:03PM
Cal,
I have less trouble with my carrot now that I turn it on holding it away from anything metal, and wait 2 secs before moving it towards the target. No idea why, but it is what it is. If that helps as all, great.
February 06, 2018 06:07PM
I;ve had no trouble with my carrot. Not a lot of warning, though, when it dies. HH jim tn
February 06, 2018 06:15PM
Daniel,

I experience the EXACT same thing. It's frustrating; it's the worst on the "high" setting of sensitivity, but still happens some on the "mid" sensitivity setting.

I've also had the "detuning" issue some others have mentioned. I have to be really careful to keep it away from metal, and away from the hole (i.e. holding it in the air) for a second or so after turning it on, to try and mitigate that problem...

I'm quite interested in the Fisher/Tek model...looking forward to hearing more input from users.

Steve

Daniel Tn Wrote:
> You're not the only ones that hated the Carrott.
> Mine falsed all the time in the dirt here. I didn
> 't know half the time if I was chasing an actual t
> arget or just getting false signals. I sold mine
> before I smashed it and got a Whites TRX. It is a
> step or two above the Carrott but I will probably
> try one of these Fisher/Teknetics just because I'm
> not exactly sold on the TRX either. It doesn't fa
> lse but strangely, I don't like the sensitivity on
> ly coming from the tip. It has taken some adjusti
> ng to get use to for sure. I'm detectorless now a
> nyways so I have time to wait.
February 06, 2018 06:24PM
I have the Garretts, but I didn't like the side detecting on it. I went with the TRX for the tip detecting. If I dig a little to deep for a target the Garretts will pick it up in the side and you think it is still deeper. Wit the TRX if it is not in the bottom then just run it around the sides till you find it. I still have the Garretts just for back up. I also like the TRX for you can use AA batterys or 9V. If 9v get low the TRX will false sometimes.
February 07, 2018 03:16AM
I use the Garrett THD, think it runs somewhere around 28kHz. Not deep maybe and inch on a coin, is vibration only but also has a light that tells you when u hit a target. This thing leaves the rest of the competition in the dust in my option. These things are tuff as nails and and always function the same every time. No ground balancing bull crap turn on and go. Also are more sensitive than the rest so will find the smaller stuff that other won't report on .
February 07, 2018 03:17PM
i thought that I had a lemon carrot too. Brand new and even if the light is on i get no response and have to tune it off and back on. I should send it back. I have the XP MI6. Sucks too. haven't tried it with v4.1 yet but have heard that there still are problems. Got the new ML 35. don't like it either. not very sensitive and hard to hear. Have the Nokta one... slow. Don't like the button on the top that makes it hard to operate with gloves on. Been spending a small fortune looking for a good pinpointer. Keep us posted if one of you ever find a good one.
February 07, 2018 04:13PM
Tip on the Carrot - tip to the ground before turning on. The unit detunes to the ground, and when I do this I never have falsing issues on my ground.

My Carrot is one of the first and still going strong, but I have had plenty of Garrett product failures. I like their designs but the quality/reliability is low. I have the one of the older ProPointers that failed almost immediately. Well, it kind of works but the switch is squirrely.

I have had the new Fisher pinpointer on order for over a month now, but like every new anything ever announced in metal detector land............................................................................................. waiting.
February 07, 2018 04:29PM
MartyGene.....Whites TRX is the one you want. I don't have any issues with PI pin-pointers in the proper environments but you'll need to back it up with a good VLF model, and in my book the Whites TRX is the better VLF pin-pointer on the market.

HH
Mike
February 07, 2018 04:40PM
2x that Mike
February 07, 2018 04:51PM
whites trx is the one, eh? ok. here goes 150.00 smackeroos... thanks
February 07, 2018 05:04PM
The guy who was responsible for designing the TRX is the same guy who designed the Fisher/Tek PI Pointer. He seems to think that his new machine is the better of the two.

If you’re not in a hurry, you might want to wait till direct comparison tests by actual users are available. I have one of the Fishers on order, and have a TRX. I will be curious to see how they compare.

Rick Kempf
February 07, 2018 05:42PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> The guy who was responsible for designing the TRX
> is the same guy who designed the Fisher/Tek PI Poi
> nter. He seems to think that his new machine is t
> he better of the two.
>
> If you’re not in a hurry, you might want to wait t
> ill direct comparison tests by actual users are av
> ailable. I have one of the Fishers on order, and
> have a TRX. I will be curious to see how they com
> pare.

I will be curious to see your report/comparo Rick though I'm pretty much sold enough already to give one a try (it turns on and off quickly, lol)
February 07, 2018 07:14PM
I am just thankful we all don't have to rely on just the GPP these days -

The selection is huge

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
February 07, 2018 08:27PM
I imagine it will be like the Vibraprobe, also a PI pinpointer, in that it would make my detector go crazy when you used it. I don't need my headphones going nuts in my ear every time I want to use my pinpointer!
February 07, 2018 08:44PM
This new pp is nothing like the Vibraphone. Testers report no significant interference issue. Check out the 2:00 minute mark on this test video from TheHunterGT

[www.izitru.com]

Rick Kempf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2018 08:45PM by lytle78.
February 07, 2018 08:48PM
sumrtym Wrote:
> I imagine it will be like the Vibraprobe, also a P
> I pinpointer, in that it would make my detector go
> crazy when you used it. I don't need my headphone
> s going nuts in my ear every time I want to use my
> pinpointer!

Well the reality is that it has 16 different frequency shifts to avoid crosstalk with VLF detectors. Worked well in testing...works well with final release.

Edit: Beat me to it Rick!

My YouTube - [www.youtube.com]
Website - [www.thehuntergt.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2018 08:50PM by TheHunterGT.
February 08, 2018 03:39PM
TheHunterGT Wrote:
> sumrtym Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I imagine it will be like the Vibraprobe, also a
> P
> > I pinpointer, in that it would make my detector
> go
> > crazy when you used it. I don't need my headpho
> ne
> > s going nuts in my ear every time I want to use
> my
> > pinpointer!
>
> Well the reality is that it has 16 different frequ
> ency shifts to avoid crosstalk with VLF detectors.
> Worked well in testing...works well with final rel
> ease.
>
> Edit: Beat me to it Rick!

watched your video and I'm convinced.....very well done Hunter, FT should give you a commission, lol
February 08, 2018 03:56PM
I bought an orange Deteknik about 4 years ago, after frustration with my Garrett & their customer service. I am very pleased with it.
February 08, 2018 05:51PM
canslawhero Wrote:
> watched your video and I'm convinced.....very well
> done Hunter, FT should give you a commission, lol

Thanks! They let me peek behind the curtain and toss me a bone from time to time. cool smiley

My YouTube - [www.youtube.com]
Website - [www.thehuntergt.com]
February 09, 2018 04:20AM
Esteban Wrote:
> I bought an orange Deteknik about 4 years ago, aft
> er frustration with my Garrett & their customer se
> rvice. I am very pleased with it.

I love them - my X-Pointer is still going strong after almost 4 years

[www.earthscan.co.nz]