Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

OMG,.. I think I've forgotten how to use my CTX!!

Posted by Peacemaker 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
OMG,.. I think I've forgotten how to use my CTX!!
April 25, 2014 04:49PM
Ugghhh, cannot believe it. I picked up a CTX last year (later in the season than I would have liked..) and only had about 2 months to use it before I had to give it up due to work and time constraints. I was 'Just' getting to know the little nuances and playing with patterns, but now I'm looking at it like it's a 'stick in my hand'! Man, this is soooo frustrating... I'm getting the 'basic functions' (buttons) settings 'Ok', but just can't believe that the rest is not coming back to me... (Must be my getting older or something..). For example, I don't seem to be getting any 'real depth' while having problems ID'ing targets (good from bad) and MY pin-pointing is just awful! I honestly can't believe how 'far off' I am with some targets... Any suggestions as to the patterns i should stick with and/or play around with and perhaps a 'Pin-Pointing trick or two'?

Cheers and Thanks,
Re: OMG,.. I think I've forgotten how to use my CTX!!
April 25, 2014 05:16PM
Have you install the latest software from last year?

The new pinpointing feature was the best thing about the update, makes pinpointing alot easier.

Aaron
April 26, 2014 02:33AM
Yes, I updated my machine the day after I got it (I hadn't even used it yet). From Day one I had issues with Pin-Pointing, especially compared to my ATPRO... Perhaps the 'wiggle' is different or something? In any event, I had it out for about an hour today before I got rained on and I'm not exactly sure, but I think that there actually might be something 'wrong' with the machine. Pin-Pointing seemed worse and audio seemed 'weak'. Depth still seems 'poor' at best.
April 26, 2014 06:09AM
I'd recommend buring some coins at different depths and see how it goes. Run it in Auto +3 is best for stability. Keep Disc'd areas to a minimum for better depth. Always perform an auto noise cancel before detecting. You should be able to get the coins to at least 8" depending upon your soil. It seems unlikely the machine has a problem - but it could be. If nothing else do an air test with a quarter - I'd be interested what you get.
April 26, 2014 02:42PM
Johnnyanglo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd recommend buring some coins at different
> depths and see how it goes. Run it in Auto +3 is
> best for stability. Keep Disc'd areas to a minimum
> for better depth. Always perform an auto noise
> cancel before detecting. You should be able to get
> the coins to at least 8" depending upon your soil.
> It seems unlikely the machine has a problem - but
> it could be. If nothing else do an air test with a
> quarter - I'd be interested what you get.

Will definitely try that and see what happens... When I auto noise cancelled previously, I would hover the coil about 12" above the ground... Is that the proper way to do it? FYI, my soil is between 65 and 82 on the ATPRO, so I guess that would be 'moderate' to 'moderately high' in mineralization? Not sure how that translates to many of the US States...

I think my 'Air Tests' were 'ok', but nothing special... I noticed when i first used it that it was 'crazy deep' on coins that have been in the ground for some time, especially OLD copper and Silver! I picked out a Barber Quarter from a Park last year at just under 12" and that thing was absolutely brutalized to such a degree that it was bent and burned in some kind of fire (it actually had reticulation, so the fire must have been VERY hot indeed..) Anyway, I'll try some of those things as soon as the weather clears up (freaking SNOWING right now... Grrrrr...). Also, this machine is HORRIBLE on Canadian Clad (not that I'm looking for it most times, unless looking for Jewelry..), but I'm sure that there is a 'pattern' for CAN coins somewhere around the NET... One thing about our Clad is that it certainly 'adds up' over the season since we have 1$ and 2$ coins and I hear whispers of the possiblility of a 5$ coin in the future! Unfortunately, these coins are of the the crappy coated 'steel' coin variety... Anyway, I'll try those things and see what happens!

Cheers,