Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

1 tiny gold and a trifecta of very thin dimes

Posted by Digs_alot 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
1 tiny gold and a trifecta of very thin dimes
February 12, 2018 01:34AM
Got in 5 days at the beach in late December/early January, 1 day at a park, and another 5 days at the beach in late January.

The 1st 5 days at the beach produced my last gold find of 2017, skull/snake silver ring, silver theatrical comedy/tragedy mask charm, an art nouveau swirly design ring, corroded Roosevelt silver dime, and a corroded buffalo nickel.

One day at my favorite park produced a nice fat 1943 silver half dollar, 1937 buffalo nickel, and a 1919 wheat penny.

The last 5 days at the beach produced some very thin, worn down coins. The 1st and last day produced nada. The 2nd day produced a thin ring, 2 worn down Indian head pennies, and a very thin mercury dime.
The 3rd day produced an extremely worn V-nickel and a very thin Barber dime. And the 4th day produced a thin Roosevelt silver dime.

Sometimes my favorite beach gives up gold rings, Barber and Seated half dollars, and Morgan dollars. Other times, tiny broken gold jewelry, extremely corroded and worn down nickels, dimes, and pennies. Beach lean times = thin dimes.

Above is the tiny high carat gold jewelry piece, pirate skull/snake silver ring, comedy/tragedy mask silver charm, bronze ‘art nouveau’ bronze ring, and a thin silver ring.

Air-tested with:
11 coil
Auto-sensitivity = 16
Noise Cancel #11
ID = inner diameter (in millimeters)
Rings air-tested with ring parallel to coil, unless otherwise noted

carat ID   grams depth  FE-CO  max depth description
22k   --    .85   .50"  12-01     .75"   Tiny gold jewelry piece.

Above is more photos of the gold jewelry piece and the bronze ring. Some before and after cleaning photos of the worn down V-nickel, 2 worn down Indian head pennies, and the trifecta of very thin silver dimes; Barber, Mercury, and Roosevelt. To the right is an edge view of the dimes.

The upper left and right photos are of the finds from the 1st 5 days at the beach back in late December/early January.
The lower left photo are from 1 day at the park (before cleaning).
The lower right photo shows the 1937 buffalo nickel, the 1919 penny, the 1943 half dollar from the park. And the buffalo nickel and silver corroded dime from the beach.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
Re: 1 tiny gold and a trifecta of very thin dimes
February 12, 2018 01:39AM
Nice finds.

Thanks for sharing.
February 12, 2018 01:59AM
What does your heart do .... when you see a 12-01 TID...... and it's a very weak signal !?
February 12, 2018 02:09AM
Nice digs digs_alot thumbs down

Those are some thin dimes!
February 12, 2018 09:35AM
Nice job digs_alot, like that big Victoria era ring thumbs down
February 12, 2018 02:06PM
Very nice. I like the tiny gold. What do you test with?

HH
Mike
February 12, 2018 02:07PM
Sweet digs!!! WTG!!!
February 12, 2018 03:47PM
very nice finds! Don't know your location - fresh water beach or salt? (i'm thinking fresh)

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
February 13, 2018 03:09AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What does your heart do .... when you see a 12-01
> TID...... and it's a very weak signal !?

Back in July 2011 thru July 2012, anticipation and imagination probably caused a faster/stronger heartbeat. Back then, the percentage of small gold jewelry to junk (small stainless steel parts, small flat pieces of lead, lead birdshot, pellets, etc.) in the wet sand was much more favorable.

Nowadays, I expect to find that small, very low conductive junk. But when the small/broken gold jewelry does pop up, that old feeling of elation returns.
February 13, 2018 03:26AM
Mike Hillis Wrote:
> Very nice. I like the tiny gold. What do you te
> st with?
>
> HH
> Mike

I have a gold acid testing kit, including silver test acid, platinum test acid, 10k, 14k, 18k, and 22k gold testing acids, along with the touchstone.

I also do a density test on all gold and platinum jewelry for my own records. Unfortunately, the density check is not very accurate when testing very small gold jewelry. My scale accuracy is .01 grams. Measuring the weight of the water displacement of very small gold causes the inaccuracy.
February 13, 2018 03:39AM
VERY nice digs!!

Congrats on the goodies!

You ALWAYS have goodies to post!

Steve
February 13, 2018 03:40AM
ncwayne Wrote:
> very nice finds! Don't know your location - fresh
> water beach or salt? (i'm thinking fresh)
>
> Wayne

I’m on the San Francisco Peninsula, and mainly hunt salt water locations.
Periodically, strong tidal currents and storms can move small gold jewelry with a lot of surface area per volume into wet sand locations, larger coins and jewelry can be moved into the extreme low tide zones. Those strong tidal currents and storms can move quite a bit of sand and targets under the right conditions.
February 13, 2018 03:44AM
Thanks all.

Hoping to have some more interesting finds to post from parks and the up-and-coming spring tides.