Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Who Needs An Equinox When You Can Just Use a MXT!? Relic Digs grinning smiley

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Who Needs An Equinox When You Can Just Use a MXT!? Relic Digs grinning smiley
February 18, 2018 10:44PM
Sorry to interrupt your regularly scheduled EQ discussion/s with some actual field reporting on actual relics/finds dug afield but as soon as you read this = you can return to those boring threads grinning smiley
(P.S. for the waaaaay too serious/no sense of humor having types = that was sarcastic humor and this is where you laugh)!

I have 3 CW soldiers home sites lined up to dig (did my research this winter) and it's already paying off thumbs down

This was site one of 3 (an infantry mans house/site) that shows on 1850s - 1890s maps but is gone on the 1900 map so it was there a good 45/50 yrs or so and the relics I pulled with my trusty MXT Pro today show a good variety and span of that time frame thumbs down

Site #2 is a artillery Lieutenants house site and site #3 is a Calvary guys house site = I can't wait to get to those!

It was slow going today (approx. 3 hrs non stop) in the 1/2 muck 1/2 frozen ground but I used my pickaxe tool to bust through the dirt/snow and 1/2 frozen crap to get the goods grinning smiley

Ran 2 tone relic mode, disc just below 2, gain in the red/top end but not maxed with a slight hum of threshold in background. I love these machines more than I remember! I had one of the 1st MXT's when they 1st came out but they didn't have the GG on the control head and they had those crappy 950 coils on them back then so I sold mine in like 2006 (but) I picked this Pro model up a few months back from Mr. Keith and I'm more than glad I did! Love the discriminator on these suckers too = you can dig all the iron you want or leave as much as you wish too = there's no mistaken iron VS good stuff with these machines thumbs down

Site conditions were heavy nails/iron AND large iron too (no modern junk). Some of these targets were tough pullin (sounded like crap) in all the nails and especially the GAR button with Tin Back = that was a tough one! Place has never been dug IMO according to the amount of targets, and large iron still present. The pics show the best of the best but I did dig some junk items too (brass bits, lead, copper scrap, a horseshoe, plow point, broken pocket watch case, etc) but for time's sake (and work) I'm only showing the better finds.

Worth note:

Clay pipe bowl
Flat button
Ball button
Eagle cuff
Gen Service Vest? Button (not large enough to be a coat button).
GAR Coat size button
1866 Injun
etc.

Re: Who Needs An Equinox When You Can Just Use a MXT!? Relic Digs grinning smiley
February 18, 2018 10:48PM
Nice finds! I had to work all day.. thumbs down
Re: Who Needs An Equinox When You Can Just Use a MXT!? Relic Digs grinning smiley
February 18, 2018 10:48PM
Very nice, MXT is a beast thats for sure I love that machine
February 18, 2018 11:02PM
Sweet finds! That IH is in amazing condition too.
Glad all of our "obsolete" machines still work. I was worried for a minute!smileys with beer

Oh and what did that clay pipe ring up as???LOL
February 18, 2018 11:06PM
Great research and cool finds! Action speaks larger than words!!
February 18, 2018 11:12PM
TabZilla Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Glad all of our "obsolete" machines still work.

I giggledsmoking smiley
February 18, 2018 11:13PM
That looks like the kind of places I hunt, like plowed bean, wheat or corn fields. Nice assortment of buttons and very nice injun.
February 19, 2018 12:00AM
Can't beat it......well done sir!
February 19, 2018 12:15AM
Great finds and report---lookin' forward to round 2.
February 19, 2018 12:28AM
Yeah that's pretty good...but how many gold chains did you miss ?
February 19, 2018 12:58AM
Good job! I'll have to break out one of my obsolete machines on my day off.
February 19, 2018 01:03AM
Stop it! Get a dictionary. What part of obsolete don't you get? Just accept that your detector and its finds are old.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
February 19, 2018 01:12AM
Really great finds MRH! Had to be nice to get out and do some swinging and know all our obsolete machines can still get the job done. Lol

John
February 19, 2018 01:22AM
MRH...you know I was joking.

Great finds. Your second sentence says it all...your research was rewarded. Hope it continues.

Love that MXT Pro too.
February 19, 2018 01:27AM
Congratulations Wayne on a excellent hunt.
February 19, 2018 01:35AM
Awesome finds Wayne. It’s a refreshing post lol Good job on your research

Corey
February 19, 2018 01:42AM
Thanks Guys thumbs down

It was nice to get out for the 1st time in like 2 weeks or so since the last thaw we had here in late Jan

Not use to using a pickaxe type tool to dig with though (and ground was tough) so I got a sore arm outta the deal but I'm not complaining grinning smiley

Looks like milder weather for the longer term here now so maybe I'll get out there again soon and try one of the other sites thumbs down

Gotta work though so time is limited between that and when weather allows but it won't/shouldn't be long.

HH
February 19, 2018 02:01AM
Great finds! Buttons are my favorite target to dig.
February 19, 2018 02:05AM
Research definitely paid off. The soil you hunt in is kind to your coins. I have never pulled an IH cent looking like that. sad smiley
February 19, 2018 02:10AM
Nice group of finds. Good to see that your machine from long ago still works. smoking smiley
February 19, 2018 02:20AM
Pasttom Wrote:
> Stop it! Get a dictionary. What part of obsolete
> don't you get? Just accept that your detector and
> its finds are old.

Yeah, that Injun is OLD!--Ain't even new & shiny like the zincs I find!!!----Truth is, Wayne could find that stuff with an old (or new) pie pan on a stick--he's that good!thumbs down-----Nice digs Wayne--I like that clay pipe, never have found one---balls, I like ALL your finds!grinning smiley
February 19, 2018 02:25AM
Some funny replies here guys!

I think ML went a bit too far with their "obsoletes all other VLF machines" statement grinning smiley

EPL II Wrote:
Research definitely paid off. The soil you hunt in is kind to your coins. I have never pulled an IH cent looking like that. sad smiley

Yes EPL, if you look closely = you can see our soil here in west MI has sand mixed in it and so it tends to be kinder on coins/buttons etc moreso than many other areas of the country (even our state).
February 19, 2018 03:20AM
I agree 100%, the MXT, taken care of will last for many years and give great performance, the equinox, well I guess if you can squeeze 5 years out of it from the looks of things I guess you're lucky.Guess Detectors are going the way of cell phones. Spend a $800- $1000 use it for several years then toss it. I guess if you are a metal detecting manufacturer, you can no longer afford to build machines that last...........planned obsolescence is the way of the future, with ML leading the way.
February 19, 2018 03:29AM
Great digs and info to go along with it! Outta be a trime in that site. This is the forum at its best IMO, talking detectors and what they can do in the field....not 100s of posts arm chair quarterbacking marketing departments.
February 19, 2018 04:44AM
Well I don't have an MXT! Now what am I supposed to do?
February 19, 2018 05:12AM
you could use the same detector that got you your $2 ½ dollar gold coin!

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
February 19, 2018 05:21AM
Good job, MRH! Glad to see you're able to get out up there in Santa Land. Look forward to more good finds from ya.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
February 19, 2018 08:49AM
Good to see you were able to get out and some really nice finds to boot. Gotta love the way our Michigan soil treats IH's and finds in general.

It will be a few more weeks before things turn around weather wise up here in the northern lower and I can't wait to hit the fields again.

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
February 19, 2018 01:30PM
Oh! You mean that old out of date Fors Relic gold coin finding machine? Hmm. I guess I could blow the dust off it and try it
February 19, 2018 02:13PM
ncwayne Wrote:
> you could use the same detector that got you your
> $2 ½ dollar gold coin!
>
> Wayne

Lol

You mean the 1850s $1 gold piece Wayne?

Don’t worry, my trusty Deus isn’t going anywhere any time soon. It’s one of my all time favorite machines and there nothing on the market that “obsoletes” it no matter what anyone claims grinning smiley

I got her all polished up and ready to go - just waiting for the opportunity to get it out in the field again thumbs down