Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Equinox 800 w/stock coil report Updated 03-26-2020 Biggest 15” coil data added.

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 80 hours field time/30 hours testing Update in progress
March 10, 2018 12:06AM
ozzie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The thing on the top of the pic I believe is a Jaw
> Harp or Jew Harp....missing is the vibrating band
> in the center that would have been attached to the
> center inside of the circular end.....my guess. Bo
> ttom right, is that a cosmetic case? Did you open
> it up....maybe a coin inside.

Ozzie,
I want to thank you. Yep, looks like a Jew harp alright. I think I have dug either one or two more in this site. Funny thing is I wrote them off and didn't check as ferrous- cause I found them with Deus.
I'll have to go back through all the junk I've found down there and find them.
I am relic ignorant, not like you couldn't tell. Lol

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2018 10:55PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 75 hours field time/29 hours testing Updated 3-9-2018
March 10, 2018 02:19AM
You're welcome...not much of a relic maestro myself. Had one of those as a kid....good way to chip a tooth. grinning smiley
March 10, 2018 11:49PM
Alright more data.

Back to site, one of my proving grounds sites.
Mineralization strength meter using Deus 6 ticks.
Very old site. Nail and iron density I rate as moderate.
I located 24 nonferrous targets using Equinox using field 2 program, disc backed off 2 marks from factory, speed 7, 0 iron bias, Mulit freq.
This area previously pounded by Minelab CTX stock coil multiple times, Minelab Etrac 10x12 sef coil multiple tiems, Xp Deus both 9 and 11" LF coils as well as both HF coils for Deus.
Using HF coils use of highest freq bands very limited. Use of HF coils freq of 28.8 kHz is what 95% plus of the time spent in this site.
Limited use of other detector models with both stock sized coils as well as smaller coils.

After locating all targets, they were checked/compared using Deus both 9 and 11" coils, and both the elliptical and round HF coils.
Only freqs of 12 and 18khz used to check using Deus LF coils.
All freqs bands used to check targets using both Deus HF coils.
Minelab Etrac witth stock coil was used to check 2 targets, these happened to be the 2 highest Equinox located meter reading targets.

This area when I got my HF coils for Deus is actually (all previous hunts combined using all detectors in my possession over the last 6.5 years at the time, netted 8 finds) when the most nonferrous finds were discovered. A total of 20 for both HF Deus coils plus the 8 found previously using other detector and deus LF coils. This all previous to hunting with Equinox,
Only one coin was ever detected by me in this area prior, a Spanish 1 bit located and recovered with Minelab CTX and stock coil around 5 years ago.

Today using the Nox I located and recovered my second coin ever, a dad gum wheat head penny.

Okay as far as the 24 nonferrous targets.
Etrac was used to check 2 targets.
I used any and all huntable settings that I could think of to detect the targets.
No cigar with either target.
One of the targets was in fact the buried undisturbed wheat head penny.
The other a flat button.

Now the Deus comparisons.
Using both 9" and 11" LF coils using deep and hot programs with various settings, any and all what I would declare as useable / huntable.
Only one out of the 24 located nonferrous gave me anything remote signal wise to dig, and this was using 9" LF coil.

Now for the elliptical coil comparisons- used any and all useable/ huntable settings.
One target using 14.4 kHz using elliptical HF coil reported as diggable signal.
One target using both HF coils reported a dig me signal using 28.8 kHz.

Of the 22 remaining targets.
HF elliptical coil hit on 9 of them using 74 kHz.
Round HF coil hit on 3 of them using 54khz.

Only 2 of the same targets did both HF coils hit using their respective highest freq bands.

There were 20 nonferrous Equinox located target that didn't provide diggable signal period when using round HF coil ( any and all usable/huntable settings).
Thee were 13 nonferrous Equinox located targets that didn't provide diggable signal period when using elliptical HF coil (any and all useable/ huntable settings).

I was fooled on 3 suspect targets- turned out to be iron,
Deus LF coils didn't alert on any of these as nonferrous.
Round HF coil alerted on one of these- as nonferrous sounding.
Elliptical HF coil alerted on one of them- as nonferrous sounding.

I climbed another rung today on the Equinox ladder. I dug some of the least textbook signals I had ever done previously. One object turned out to be the wheat head penny, another a real small thimble, and a few thin small flat buttons.

Equinox gives info, person just has to decipher. I can now say, some crippled targets (not all) will give lower that airtest mete readings.
Equinox IMO is a Top notched VLF relic unit.
I will even go as far to say.
In my soil, an old site ain't purged of all detectable nonferrous until the mighty Nox goes in there.
Amazing to see the stock sized coil do its thing at sniffing out nonferrous.

My next mission with Equinox, is to go back and use the disc I used today using field 2 mode, and locate some targets I feel are tremendously crippled, and adjust disc back to factory level setting and have a listen.

Forgot to say, when looking at and air testing all targets for the most part in this site,,and one other area. Deus HF coils using 28.8 kHz, seems they have trouble alerting on targets (odds wise) that actually ID as 10 or less in Equinox meter. Now using HF coils and using highest bands, both HF coils hit and miss, but edge goes to elliptical HF coil.
Now saying all this, remember what the gold $1 US coin IDs as on Equinox.

NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Yes..... Type-1, 2 & 3 U.S. Gold Dollars ID as a
>10/11 in an air-test.......and in most soils.,.,.,.
> ,.,.,.,. even tilted. "On edge"...... and ID's can
> be much lower..... to include 'no detection'.
>
> U.S. 3-Cent Nickels ID as 7-8....... under most no
> rmal conditions.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2018 12:36AM by tnsharpshooter.
March 11, 2018 03:31AM
I’m 71. Life is too short for me to read such long-form raw data.

I applaud your dedication - both to link to the work of others and to make your own original contributions.

Editing, self critique - could make your inputs more valuable and more digestible.

Of course, my opinion only. Others likely differ.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 75 hours field time/29 hours testing Updated 3-10-2018
March 11, 2018 06:55AM
I'm with you, Rick, might be a scrap of meat there somewhere, but way to much dialog to find it. HH jim tn
March 11, 2018 12:42PM
Real simple.
Remember Equinox has 11" DD coil, is just one detector, one coil setup so far with everything I have posted thus far (don't have small coil yet).

Notice what is able to do.

Actually some don't know this.
It is my opinion Minelab Equinox is a WORLD class detector.
All things considered.
Sounds like a BOLD statement, right?
Well, I'll be watching and see what some others say.
Kinda hard for the folks we are used to seeing making comments on new models. Remember some of them involved with detector.
Maybe this is why it is IMO world class.
And I seriously mean this.
But hey I am just one person.
My detector proving grounds- the results gotten there, and reading and watching comparisons of Minelab gold monster, and also reading the feedback on Nox's ability to find gold nuggets and Nox's ability to find things in higher mineralized ground reports and salt water/sand performance on lower conductors.
All this suggest to me WORLD class detector.
Could I be wrong?
Maybe.
We'll see.

Remember Dr Tones, Brandon in one of the early videos when Nox was being debuted. He said Nox was a big deal. Yep, it is, I agree with him.
And this is a big part of the why it was dropped out of airplane at detectival event.
And if you can believe this, Nox was even made better since being dropped out of plane.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2018 01:08PM by tnsharpshooter.
March 11, 2018 01:22PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Real simple.
> Remember Equinox has 11" DD coil, is just one dete
> ctor, one coil setup so far with everything I have
> posted thus far (don't have small coil yet).
>
> Notice what is able to do.
>
> Actually some don't know this.
> It is my opinion Minelab Equinox is a WORLD class
> detector.
> All things considered.
> Sounds like a BOLD statement, right?
> Well, I'll be watching and see what some others sa
> y.
> Kinda hard for the folks we are used to seeing mak
> ing comments on new models. Remember some of them
> involved with detector.
> Maybe this is why it is IMO world class.
> And I seriously mean this.
> But hey I am just one person.
> My detector proving grounds- the results gotten th
> ere, and reading and watching comparisons of Minel
> ab gold monster, and also reading the feedback on
> Nos'x ability to find gold nuggetsa nd Nox's abili
> ty to find things in higher mineralized ground.rep
> orts.
> All this suggest to me WORLD class detector.
> Could I be wrong?
> Maybe.
> We'll see.

Indeed we'll see. In Germany, Netherlands and UK the forums are more septical to the Equinox.
You are doing a lot of great testing. I love it. But fact is you are already a diehard fanboy for this "WORLD class detector". I see your contibutions al over the (forum) places, don't matter when its critical or supporting. You are not standing up when there is a bit Deus bashing, but going with it.
Personally, as a blunt and down to earth Dutchman, I think that's a pity, It's make your great testing efforts less believable in my opinion and, can't help it, but got second thoughts.
March 11, 2018 01:35PM
wilci Wrote:
> tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Real simple.
> > Remember Equinox has 11" DD coil, is just one de
> te
> > ctor, one coil setup so far with everything I ha
> ve
> > posted thus far (don't have small coil yet).
> >
> > Notice what is able to do.
> >
> > Actually some don't know this.
> > It is my opinion Minelab Equinox is a WORLD clas
> s
> > detector.
> > All things considered.
> > Sounds like a BOLD statement, right?
> > Well, I'll be watching and see what some others
> sa
> > y.
> > Kinda hard for the folks we are used to seeing m
> ak
> > ing comments on new models. Remember some of th
> em
> > involved with detector.
> > Maybe this is why it is IMO world class.
> > And I seriously mean this.
> > But hey I am just one person.
> > My detector proving grounds- the results gotten
> th
> > ere, and reading and watching comparisons of Min
> el
> > ab gold monster, and also reading the feedback o
> n
> > Nos'x ability to find gold nuggetsa nd Nox's abi
> li
> > ty to find things in higher mineralized ground.r
> ep
> > orts.
> > All this suggest to me WORLD class detector.
> > Could I be wrong?
> > Maybe.
> > We'll see.
>
> Indeed we'll see. In Germany, Netherlands and UK t
> he forums are more septical to the Equinox.
> You are doing a lot of great testing. I love it. B
> ut fact is you are already a diehard fanboy for th
> is "WORLD class detector". I see your contibution
> s al over the (forum) places, don't matter when it
> s critical or supporting. You are not standing up
> when there is a bit Deus bashing, but going with i
> t.
> Personally, as a blunt and down to earth Dutchman,
> I think that's a pity, It's make your great testi
> ng efforts less believable in my opinion and, can'
> t help it, but got second thoughts.

Hard for me to understand exactly what you are saying.
If you are saying I'm a Deus basher, no I'm not.
Actually Deus was chosen for some of my comparisons since it does some things real well and some things bad.
I have in the past posted lots of "good" things when talking about Deus. Actually I may have posted the most by anyone if you can believe this.
My tests, comparisons, and thoughts are all honest and done in as fair a way as I know how.
Folks can read or not.
Folks can believe or not.
This info here doesn't cost anyone anything $$ wise.
Maybe just some of their time reading.

I think if Equinox 800 unit costs $1200 US, then folks wouldn't be so skeptical.
So, IMO it's the lower price that indeed makes folks skeptical as far as the detector's performance.
Cheers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2018 01:39PM by tnsharpshooter.
March 11, 2018 06:57PM
Time for another test.
Some folks think all old coins are deep. Maybe so, maybe not.
I have found some old coins shallow.
Cal Cobra has admitted here he has found some older nice finds shallow.

This test here compares Minelab Etrac (Stock coil) and Xp Deus wearing both a 9" LF coil and a 11" LF coil, and the Equinox wearing stock dd 11" coil.

You will notice in pic a small blue cap.
Beneath it lies a clad dime approx 5" deep.
All detectors detect this dime with tone and proper ID with none of the maskers present.
The black spots, look close, a few pull rings with tabs, a nail, and a steel bottle cap.

So what about trying to detect this mere 5" deep clad dime with the maskers you see in pic?

Etrac, no cigar. Nothing telling me higher conductor exist. Tried all kinds of settings and programs. Highest meter reading seen 34 conductive.

What about DEUS wearing 11" LF coil? I cannot get Deus to tell me a higher conductor exist tonally or with a meter reading.
Highest numbers seen in screen are about 15 points below what's clad dime reads.

What about Deus wearing 9" LF coil?
Believe it or not the same as results using 11" LF coil with one exception.
I can go to reactivity setting 2 and hover coil over dime from one angle and get tone and ID in meter. I cannot with sweeps get any Intel to tell me dime(higher conductor) exist.

What about Equinox with its stock coil?
Park 2 speed. 7 multi freq, from best angle sweeping the setup, I get tone and ID to boot telling me higher conductor exists. Meter reading or 23-25 on sweeps.

Another test.
Simple one.
Compared Deus wearing 9" and 11" LF coil, Etrac with stock oil, Equinox with stock coil.

A clad dime and pull ring with tab attached.
Swinging left to right, right to left.
Etrac fails to tell me dime is there. Highest conductive reading in screen on sweeps 25.

Deus wearing 11" LF coil.
Tried all settings I know of,no dice. Highest meter reading achieved is substantially below what a higher conductor reads on Deus meter.
Using 9" LF coil, same as noted with 11" LF coil, with one exception. I can do hover sweeps over dime and get a reading close to what higher conductor would read and sound like. But again sweeps won't expose the dime. Forget to say using both LF coils reactivity 3 necessary to get a tone on each object (showing 2 nonferrous in fact exist.

Equinox park2 speed 7 I can sweep and hear tone on dime and see short duration reports of 22,23,24 being seen in meter- denoting presence of higher conductor.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2018 08:35PM by tnsharpshooter.
March 11, 2018 07:04PM
I assume that there are dimes directly under your trash objects? It’s not clear.
March 11, 2018 07:11PM
go-rebels Wrote:
> I assume that there are dimes directly under your
> trash objects? It’s not clear.

The clad dime is buried in the center of pic under blue cap.

The maskers, are just that junk targets, pull rings with tabs, one nail, One steel bottle cap.
When testing all detectors complete 360 degree angular apreoach to scenario was done, multiple multiple times.
I even fully repeated this test 2 additional times using all detectors.

Btw yardstick in pic to give scale distance wise as far as how far the maskers are from dime.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2018 07:13PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 75 hours field time/30 hours testing Updated 3-11-2018
March 12, 2018 02:49PM
Persons watching you tube videos of Equinox giving what seems like good signals on targets located.
A person might be thinking based on how good the Nox sounds on targets, that the target is a no-brainer, meaning a lot of other detectors would strike and provide signal.

Well, is some cases maybe so, but in some cases maybe not.
Equinox has ability to give (very good) tone on nonferrous targets, where if many other detectors are used one of 2 things are possible. No signal at all derived, or iron tone.

Just thought I would share this little tid bit.
Likely I will add more info here today.
Need to put Nox coil to the soil though before I add info.

I posted this earlier to help a person understand Nox's reporting on can slaw elsewhere.
Thought I should put it here too, as folks interested in or wanting to know more about Equinox reading this thread- they will see this.

Here is a pic.

Cut parts of Mountain Dew can.
All pieces shown in pic are single layer, except one, the one second from right in pic. It is double layered.
ID of targets from left to right.
Smallest on left reads 4-5
Next piece reads 8-9
Next piece reads 10
Next piece reads 12 (double layer)
Last bigger piece on right reads 13 ( this is in nickel range- not high conductor coin range, not even in IH coin range)

Cheers.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2018 08:53PM by tnsharpshooter.
March 13, 2018 03:40AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Time for another test.
> Some folks think all old coins are deep. Maybe so, maybe not.
> I have found some old coins shallow.
> Cal Cobra has admitted here he has found some older nice finds shallow.
>

Yep the Red Racer & Racer2 were real eye openers at some of my "worked out" sites that my other machines were no longer producing at. They found both deep targets (the OOR coil was amazinging deep at one particular "worked out" site, yet plenty of old coins were found at the same site that were 5" or less, it was shocking after taking the Sovereign, Etrac, F75 LTD2, Omega, and C$ there.

Looking forward to taking the EQ800 to some of these same sites soon, and will report my results thumbs down

HH,
Cal
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 80 hours field time/31 hours testing Updated 3-12-2018
March 13, 2018 05:05AM
TNSS,
I don't know what the "Blunt Dutchman" was trying to say either. Sounds like since you've had a few Deus' that you are supposed to come to their defense when somebody bashes them? Weird.

Like you and and Cal experienced, I was shocked going over the same ground ( in my previous boot scrapes even) with the Equinox that I had taken the E-trac (with small coil) and finding shallow non-ferrous targets that the E-trac had "missed". I was aware that FBS units are not good un-maskers but this is an eye opener.

I think that the Nokta fans are going to be surprised as well. IMO, the Equinox with the 11" coil is better at unmasking than the Impact with the little 7" coil which is saying a lot as I really liked the Impact and 7" coil combo. The Equinox with the 6" coil will be incredible.

Dean
Equinox 800 report ( 83 hours field time/31 hours testing Updated 3-12-2018
March 14, 2018 01:03AM
TNSHARPSHOOTER,

Thanks for the read and pics. Interesting results.

Rich -

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 86 hours field time/31 hours testing Updated 3-12-2018
March 14, 2018 05:50PM
Alright a little hunt this morning.
A site I hunted one time with Xp Deus and 9" LF coil.
I have never ran fbs type detector in this site.
Fisher F5 has been run in this site too.

On previous hunt with Deus 9" LF coil I found one purex lid 6 wheat heads and one Merc dime.
Most of the finds found came from one 5 ft by 5 ft section in this site.

So I took the mighty Nox in there with stock DD coil. This site btw older home site, I don't think this house very had electricity and burned down back when.

Deus users should be paying attention here.

Here is what I found in this site (except for the 3 coins on bottom in pic) and again most came from the same 5 ft by 5 ft section.

No target over 6" deep. This soil kills coins, eats them up badly.
One target a mere 2" deep.

A lot of higher conductors left by Deus. Deus probably alerted on at least some of these previously, but didn't convey info to let me know higher conductor existed.
Notice the little play dime , it rung up 20 in the meter.
Copper washer.

Nox ID stays up really even when hunting in heavy iron.
This site is machine gun fire with Deus btw reactivity 3 18khz
Some nonferrous junk in site too, quite a bit actually if Nox is telling me the truth.
Nox settings used park 2 speed 7 iron bias zero.

Now there are 3 coins in the bottom of pic.
When I Left the site above and came back to truck, I swept near an old sidewalk where another older house sat, but this house folks lived in up into late 80s.. In short order sniffed these out. And this area been banged hard previously. Even I had swept over all 3 of these coins with Deus previously and never dug.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2018 06:10PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 86 hours field time/31 hours testing Updated 3-14-2018
March 14, 2018 11:10PM
Sounds like the Deus is a weak sister.
tnsharpshooter Wrote:

> Now there are 3 coins in the bottom of pic.
> When I Left the site above and came back to truck,
> I swept near an old sidewalk where another older h
> ouse sat, but this house folks lived in up into la
> te 80s.. In short order sniffed these out. And t
> his area been banged hard previously. Even I had
> swept over all 3 of these coins with Deus previous
> ly and never dug.

Excellent work so far, I'm enjoying the @#$ out of this. Keep it going tnsharpshooter

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 95 hours field time/31 hours testing Updated 3-14-2018
March 16, 2018 05:56PM
I am approaching 100 hours field time now with unit wearing stock DD coil.
Impressive unit.
With certain detecting scenarios, Equinox is fabulous.
Can do it seems what even some smaller coil setups can't. (Not referring to depth here either) Meaning targets are in depth range of smaller coils, yet they can't detect.
Can do it seems what even some other detectors and stock coil setups can't.

Versatile for what detector can do for even stock coil attached.

Just this morning, I was at a site where a gent watched me dig a 1916 Merc using Nokta Impact and smaller football coil last summer.
The real reason I was at this site this morning with Equinox.
This small section about 4 ft by 4 ft was of interest to me.

Equinox didn't disappoint either.
Two finds made, both deep too.
Like garret pinpointer length deep.
Area is polluted.
Area previously has has Deus both 9 and 11" coils over.
CTX both stock and smallest coil.
Etrac and 10x12 and 6x8 self coils.
White's V3i with stock coil.
Nokta Impact with smaller football coil.

Multiple multiple times the detectors above been over this 4 but 4 ft section.

Now this area, I can't dig just any nonferrous reported target tonally, digging is limited in this site.

Here is what was dug this morning in the small plot.

A women's rouge container(still has rouge in it).
And what looks to be some type of copper ring.
Both higher conductors and were actually air tested using Etrac.
Rouge container read IH coin range conductive number 34.
Copper ring reads 44 conductive.

Super tight signals with id climbing in the 20s on sweeps.

Head to head done on both undisturbed Deus and 9" LF coil- no cigar. Iron tones only in full tones, disc 6 pitch Notta,,tried a bunch of settings.
Etrac stock coil- totally SOL, nothing tonally telling me target even existed.

This is not the first time either this above has happened using Nox and doing head to heads.

I love running 50 tones using Equinox.
It is also my belief due to way Nox works, 50 tones application will allow a person to stop and take notice of targets (higher conductive) more masked yet detectable. The way audio tones roll. It makes a user put the brakes on and have a second look.

The 2 targets above found using speed 7 park 2. Iron bias 0.
Btw, this area contains some of the mildest soil in my area. 3 bars F75 indicated.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2018 06:13PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 95 hours field time/31 hours testing Updated 3-16-2018
March 16, 2018 06:57PM
I got my Equinox 800 yesterday. unfortunately I can only do testing in the house. It's cold here in N. MI and the ground is froze and covered with snow. The tests I did are very impressive. The Equinox passed the tests.

There is something good & strange with the edge of the coil. With a coin in with large iron, the edge of the coil will get partial hits with good ID. One test I used a tiny horseshoe approx. 2" x 3", that has a ID +1. It was also very hard to get any hit on it at all. I could not get a solid hit unless the coil was very close to it or high in the air. I put a zinc penny in the middle of the horseshoe closer to the back. From the side of the horseshoe, 2" to 3" away, with the front of the coil I could get a partial hit with an ID of 17 with an occasional +1. From the front going over the horseshoe I would get a solid hit swinging both ways with ID of 17 with an occasional +1.

My setting Field 2, 2 tone, tone break -1, iron bias 0, recovery 7.

5j by Rick Covert, on Flickr

This detector is crazy amazing!

Thank you everybody for your reports, testing and videos. Especially tnsharpshooter. Your posts are much appreciated.

Rick

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2018 07:31PM by Rick, N. MI.
n/t
March 16, 2018 07:07PM
n/t

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2018 07:29PM by Rick, N. MI.
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 98 hours field time/31 hours testing Updated 3-16-2018
March 18, 2018 12:24PM
People will complain about the Equinox.... until they use it. I got one am a believer, and love the unit.

XP Deus
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
22 silvers, 2 silver rings, 1 Gold Ring -YTD 2018

Some of my random digs: [www.youtube.com]
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 98 hours field time/31 hours testing Updated 3-16-2018
March 18, 2018 03:52PM
Might look a little cheesy to some.
But this works for me.
A thin 6000mah pack.
Electrical taped to bottom of cuff.

Used the pack today for 5 hours detecting.
Percentage left showing on pack 62%.

Still seeing grand performance out of Nox.
This thing kills buttons- smallest, smaller, medium and large.
Same for lead too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2018 10:01PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 103 hours field time/34 hours testing Updated 3-19-2018
March 20, 2018 03:22AM
No detecting done today due to tornado threat.
Did do some testing though.
And my testing (results) give strong hints at some of what I have witnessed in the field hunting more polluted sites.

Park 2 does seem to be the deepest mode for me here.
But folks shouldn't let this depth advantage sway them necessarily from using field 2 mode.
Field 2 mode is a shift in gears when it comes to unmasking and separation, especially when ferrous is involved (and smaller/thinner nonferrous) with detecting scenarios with nonferrous targets.
Even doing head to head comparisons in the field, smoother and fuller tone noticed lots of times yet audio not as loud vs park 2 - all audio settings the same between the 2 detect modes.
Some nonferrous targets will be easier to locate due to longer tone using field 2 mode.
I have btw changed my field 2 mode disc setting to mirror park 2 factory disc.
I like the way field 2 works by doing this disc change. Seems to be easier for me to recognize iron falses easier.

So far using Nox in my detecting proving ground site. Remember there were troopers in this area circa 1780-1798.
I have located and dug more musket balls using Nox in what time I have had it vs the previous 3 years combined using other detector models/coils.

Oh, I forgot to say. Many separation/unmasking tests suggest, equivalent signals using field 2 detect mode, speed settings of 5 and 6 gave equivalent signals or extremely close to using park 2 speed settings 7 and 8 at times.
More later.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2018 03:59AM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 103 hours field time/35 hours testing Updated 3-23-2018
March 23, 2018 04:56PM
Well I have been reading folks comments on Equinox ID of targets.
I even mentioned in another thread about what I see with aluminum twist bottle caps.

So scientifically speaking which detector ID betters the Equinox or the Etrac?
Well folks here is a test to answer the question partially I think.
And this here may not apply to all situations but does happen it seems.
A pic.

Notice the 2 quarters on the right they have been altered by grinding off some mass. Shape is not really affected.
The 2 quarters on the left are true clad sized/ mass quarters.

A little experiment.
Both Etrac and Equinox wearing stock coils.

Test done elevated above ground.
Comparing Etrac with fast recovery on auto sensitivity plus 3.
Etrac reads all of the four quarters identical 46 in the meter. Even with coil passes meter never drops.
But the quarters are not the same are they?

What about the Equinox?
Park 2 speed 6. Multi freq used.
Equinox behaves on the unalterered quarters very much like Etrac does, 30 in window and stay there with coil pass of cent of unaltered quarters.

But when I sweep both of the altered quarters, Equinox behaves differently as coil is swept and it clears the center of the coin. Both directions. Numbers come in meter as low as 24/25.

So what happens when go to single freq 5khz keeping speed at 6 and compared all quarters with Equinox?
They all read the same and behave much like Etrac does.
Even when the coil comes off of center with coil departing quarters. Even the altered ones.

So which detector is IDing the most accurate above on the altered quarters?

You folks can decide.

One more pic.

The aluminum cap above reads straight 39 conductive on Etrac all the way through coil passes.
Equinox using multi reads between 19-23 as the coil passes (sweeping from both directions).
Go to single freq 5khz all Imget is a 2 digit swing on cap ID.

Now we know the caps conductivity levels varies by it shape/ design,

But Etrac sure can't point this out to me visually. I do hear Etrac in Mulit tone - I hear it's tone changing a tad. But certainly not the meter.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2018 05:14PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 103 hours field time/37 hours testing Updated 3-24-2018
March 24, 2018 05:27PM
Time to start showing some test using single frequency ops.
Use of 5khz is showing some good results testing.

A pic.

A clad dime below plane of 2 US nickels.
Park 2 speed 7 jumps on this dime. Speed 6 does too albeit little more coil speed sensitive.
ID readings obtained very near clad dime air test readings.
Definitely when sweeping user gets a knock your socks off investigate tone running 50 tones.

How about Deus here wearing 11" LF coil.
I tried 4khz and other freqs, reactivty settings. Full tones, even tried 3 tones with 3 Rd tone dialed up highest pitch setting with tone break dialed way down below actual airtest clad dime reading vs freq used (non normalized) no cigars given to deus here.

How about Etrac wearing stock coil on the above.
Tried high trash fast recovery, even bringing disc over to knock out 30 conductive and lower. No dice. Now, with my hunt disc program I do hear tone telling something higher than nickel but I Just can say or tell how high conductive the whatever is being swept (clad dime).

Rutus Alter 71 passes test here as good as Nox does. Checked using 4.4khz and 5khz. Reactive 6 setting. Actually Rutus ID slams into meter for dime id better than Nox.
Nokta Impact with stock coil passes test only tried di99 and 5khz.. Definitely tells me to out the brakes on and investigate (suspect higher conductive something)

As far as Nox,
Definitely a test that shows promise for Nox in modern trash.
Those nickels contain a lot of mass (lower conductive)

Btw, coils on all detectors being swept real close to nickels height wise.

Another test.
Comparing single freq ops on Nox.
A pic.

Just old square nail and clad dime.
Sweeping down nail barrel left and right and vice versa.
Nail btw makes no tone whatsoever sitting solo and sweeping.
Field 2 mode with disc adjusted to park 2 factory disc.
Speed 7 , 0 iron bias.

5khz, 10kh! 15khZ - Notta nothing tonally.
20 kHz give best signal achieved of the lot(single freq) , with only trailing tone as coil is swept left to right.
40 kHz gives some singnal, again training tone.
Multi freq-Bam good signal coming from both directions.
ID in meter btw 15-17 on sweeps using Mulit freq.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2018 06:05PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 106hours field time/39 hours testing Update 3-26-2018
March 26, 2018 06:59PM
Back to my buried clad dime.
Dime is at least 9" deep,,could be as much as 9.25" deep.
An experiment.

Running park 2 in all tests.
Multi freq detects this dime with ID speeds 4,5,6.
Speed 7 gives weak tone.
Gotta slow speed way down using speed 4 for sure.
Speed 3 is a no go. Hiccups.

What about single freq ops here?
Notice the Euro units running higher freq for depth?

This soil here show 6 ticks in Deus mineral strength meter.
Soil is not dry.
So using all single freq ops, with noise cancel done, and auto GB done with using each single freq.
Sweeping dime.
5khz Notta
10khz a slight bit of trailing tone as dime is swept (weak)
15khz same as 10khz but trailing tone stronger.
20khz- I get tone both directions swept, Nox actually if I hit this dime just right gives me clues of higher conductive target id wise.
40 kHz - Imget tone both directions when swept, weaker tone than 20khz and ID doesn't give me clue of higher conducive target present.

Multi use on this dime adjusting GB manually off of a auto GB setting.
For this dime buried GB can be it seems 20 points low and Imstill get hints of higher conductor present.
I can go 10 points higher than actual Groud setting and get clues by tone and ID higher conductor present.

What about default GB setting?
Good luck finding this dime.
Grunts is all I get like iron rejection.

May do fool with other modes here on this dime and post.
Will not bump thread though.

Okay, more tests over this 9" dime roughly.
Seems to me detect mode doesn't affect single freq ops, like comparing park 1 and park 2 running 20kz like I did above using park 2. Signals seem the same.
As far as comparing multi freq use over this dime.

Signal wise/ID wise
Park 2 clear winner.
Second place Field 2, and I do get pretty god clues on some sweeps of higher conductor ID existence.
Field 1 next, weaker signal and ID not even close to higher conductor. One would think tab maybe existed.
Park 1 worst of the four detect modes tried. Weaker signal,than field 1 and you can forget about knowing dime exist id wise.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2018 07:40PM by tnsharpshooter.
March 26, 2018 07:24PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Back to my buried clad dime.
> Dime is at least 9" deep,,could be as much as 9.25
> " deep.
> An experiment.
>
> Running park 2 in all tests.
> Multi freq detects this dime with ID speeds 4,5,6.
> Speed 7 gives weak tone.
> Gotta slow speed way down using speed 4 for sure.
> Speed 3 is a no go. Hiccups.
>
> What about single freq ops here?
> Notice the Euro units running higher freq for dept
> h?
>
> This soil here show 6 ticks in Deus mineral streng
> th meter.
> Soil is not dry.
> So using all single freq ops, with noise cancel do
> ne, and auto GB done with using each single freq.
> Sweeping dime.
> 5khz Notta
> 10khz a slight bit of trailing tone as dime is swe
> pt (weak)
> 15khz same as 10khz but trailing tone stronger.
> 20khz- I get tone both directions swept, Nox actua
> lly if I hit this dime just right gives me clues o
> f higher conductive target id wise.
> 40 kHz - Imget tone both directions when swept, we
> aker tone than 20khz and ID doesn't give me clue o
> f higher conducive target present.
>
> Multi use on this dime adjusting GB manually off o
> f a auto GB setting.
> For this dime buried GB can be it seems 20 points
> low and Imstill get hints of higher conductor pres
> ent.
> I can go 10 points higher than actual Groud settin
> g and get clues by tone and ID higher conductor pr
> esent.
>
> What about default GB setting?
> Good luck finding this dime.
> Grunts is all I get like iron rejection.
>
> May do fool with other modes here on this dime and
> post.
> Will not bump thread though.

Excellent. Thanks for doing that!
I've been hunting in Park 2 multi with a recovery speed of 7. After seeing the results of your tests and Tom's recent experience I'm going to back it down slightly. I've been very successful hunting in 7 but I don't know what I'm missing if I can't hear it. Here in AZ depth is usually not the issue. Unmasking is key here. But you don't know what you don't know.... until you try something different. Thanks again.

Dean
March 26, 2018 07:50PM
bado1 Wrote:
> tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Back to my buried clad dime.
> > Dime is at least 9" deep,,could be as much as 9.
> 25
> > " deep.
> > An experiment.
> >
> > Running park 2 in all tests.
> > Multi freq detects this dime with ID speeds 4,5,
> 6.
> > Speed 7 gives weak tone.
> > Gotta slow speed way down using speed 4 for sure
> .
> > Speed 3 is a no go. Hiccups.
> >
> > What about single freq ops here?
> > Notice the Euro units running higher freq for de
> pt
> > h?
> >
> > This soil here show 6 ticks in Deus mineral stre
> ng
> > th meter.
> > Soil is not dry.
> > So using all single freq ops, with noise cancel
> do
> > ne, and auto GB done with using each single freq
> .
> > Sweeping dime.
> > 5khz Notta
> > 10khz a slight bit of trailing tone as dime is s
> we
> > pt (weak)
> > 15khz same as 10khz but trailing tone stronger.
> > 20khz- I get tone both directions swept, Nox act
> ua
> > lly if I hit this dime just right gives me clues
> o
> > f higher conductive target id wise.
> > 40 kHz - Imget tone both directions when swept,
> we
> > aker tone than 20khz and ID doesn't give me clue
> o
> > f higher conducive target present.
> >
> > Multi use on this dime adjusting GB manually off
> o
> > f a auto GB setting.
> > For this dime buried GB can be it seems 20 point
> s
> > low and Imstill get hints of higher conductor pr
> es
> > ent.
> > I can go 10 points higher than actual Groud sett
> in
> > g and get clues by tone and ID higher conductor
> pr
> > esent.
> >
> > What about default GB setting?
> > Good luck finding this dime.
> > Grunts is all I get like iron rejection.
> >
> > May do fool with other modes here on this dime a
> nd
> > post.
> > Will not bump thread though.
>
>
> Excellent. Thanks for doing that!
> I've been hunting in Park 2 multi with a recovery
> speed of 7. After seeing the results of your tests
> and Tom's recent experience I'm going to back it d
> own slightly. I've been very successful hunting in
> 7 but I don't know what I'm missing if I can't hea
> r it. Here in AZ depth is usually not the issue. U
> nmasking is key here. But you don't know what you
> don't know.... until you try something different.
> Thanks again.
>
> Dean

I wouldn't go too low.
Five here in my soil is as low as I would,go, even though 4 does pick up dime, like with a fbs crawl.
Overall 6 is a very good compromise, I think you'll detect most detectable depth wise using. Not like you can't fiddle with speed after locating suspect target.
Also seems like coil orientation has to be more center, meaning on this buried dime, I can be a little more sloppy and get higher tone (and ID) reflective of higher conductor with say 5 or 6 setting. A level 4 setting seems if I get out of position just a tad, ID and tone are reflective of medium conductor, can even reflect a lower conductor.
My soil may be milder than yours Dean. Hence I can get away with 5 speed setting. These test are also using a clad dime. Bigger coin may allow for lower(slower speed setting. And a half dime might require faster.
But even on a quarter. Seems park 2 in my dirt is deeper than park 1. And deeper than field 1 and 2 also.
But if in real polluted site, park 2 not my top choice, rather field 2 detect mode.
March 26, 2018 08:37PM
I said I wouldn't this bump thread no more today as far as posting info.
I changed my mind and for good reason.

Folks may indeed find this test very, very interesting.
Now it is just one test.
And this test does sorta fall in line with how manufacturer described the different detect modes of park 1/2 field 1/2. But masking wasn't talked about in detail.

Here's the pic.
A real live scenario one could encounter.

See the blue cap there is a clad dime buried under. Dime is buried in neighborhood of 5" deep.
See the small piece of foil off to the left.

Now folks have seen me posting about park 2 being deeper. Yeah it is, but guess what? If all you are using is park 2 especially cherry picking targets. You just might be leaving some nice higher conductors behind.

Okay sweeping more or less down the ruler.
All detect modes were noise canceled and auto GB done over clean ground.
Disclaimer here. I can't say this area is completely sanitized except for the dime and foil.
But the exact same situation is being presented to Equinox in park 1 and 2, Field 1 and 2.

So to begin.
First I checked the scenario in pic with Etrac, fast recovery deep,off. It bangs the dime with 43 conductive no question it's a dig me, stock coil used.

Speed 7 used on Eqinox 800 model for all comparisons.
Equinox park 2
Multi freq, I would never know the dime existed tonally or Id wise period. ID with tone to match 15-17.

Park 1
Nox bust the dime with great tone and ID to boot, 25 and 26s in the window. Sweeping both directions too.

Field 1 bust he dime with great ID and tone to boot. IDs like park 1.

Field 2, no clue dime exist. Remember field 2 in factory disc. I get a real low tone with cursor position 1 flashing when in all metal.

Now using park 2 I did go to 5kha single freq speed 7, I can hear real,good trailing tone on dime when swept. But using 5khz sure didn't give me what park 1 and field 2 did !!

To date this has been the best test I have done IMO.

In case folks are wondering about the test above.
Nokta Impact wearing stock coil passes test IMO, 5khz unnormalized Vdi selected mandatory.
Deus wearing 11" LF coil. A person is SOL to get tone/ID of higher conductive coin present.
Rutus Alter 71 wearing 11" DD coil, it passes, only checked using 5khz and reactive level 6.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2018 09:26PM by tnsharpshooter.