Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Equinox 800 w/stock coil report Updated 03-26-2020 Biggest 15” coil data added.

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 106hours field time/39 hours testing Update 3-26-2018
March 26, 2018 08:41PM
Thanks for that info!
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 106hours field time/39 hours testing Update 3-26-2018
March 26, 2018 08:51PM
Yes thanks

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 106hours field time/41 hours testing Update 3-26-2018
March 26, 2018 09:47PM
Minelab Equinox- when describing is not just a multi freq VLF detector.
It's a VLF multi frequency (frequency weighted detector).
So when referring to it we should be careful when relating to others. And new ones if they come to bear.

Pure genius btw to whomever(could be singular or plural) came up with this !!
Makes the detecfor definitely more detectors in one.
How many? Lord knows. Lol

And to think some manufacturers are trying to likely develop multi freq detectors.
Minelab just didn't do it again but went even further.
Almost like a multi multi freq detecfor.
Maybe almost here the wrong choice of word, maybe this is what Nox really is.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2018 09:56PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 75 hours field time/29 hours testing Updated 3-10-2018
March 26, 2018 09:50PM
@Wilci I gather you are very proficiant with a Deus. And that isn’t a bad machine at all. It has found a lot of great stuff and will continu to find great stuff.
But what it boils down to with an Equinox is that the ground comes alive with targets.

Sunday I managed to do 200 meters of field with the Nox 800 in Field 1 with the only modification of adding 2 points of iron bias.
Only dug a few iron targets to get a feel for the soil and dug non-ferrous the rest of the hunt.

The finds pouch was a mix of high conductors, low conductors, large and small. It felt like I was using several detectors at once.
And the ground was alive with targets. Even to the point I actually lowered sens slightly because I was chasing too much small signals.

That is Equinox,... it can easily overwhelm you.

Deus forces you to choose a frequency and be content with what you are finding,... AND second guessing yourself what targets you have left behind.

Equinox is simply put a Deus Killer,... no need for it anymore. Minelab has built a better mouse trap!

It use to be I was perfectly happy with the instant spot on ground balance and performance of my Whites MXT All Pro.
Deep on the small thin coinage I’m hunting for.
And more than sens enough for me to chase small targets with the pinpointer in my hand.
And that with a 10” coil.
Now that machine feels like it lacks power.

I was perfectly happy with my X-terra 705 and 10” 18,75 kHz coil in prospecting mode, very deep on dry sand for low conductors.
Equinox 800 in Gold 1 made me sit down and scratch my head in disbelief,... how do I tame this beast??

I’m trying to figure out why I still need my CTX, X-terra, Whites MXT Allpro, CZ-6 the best I can. They are all very capable units.
How on earth do I try and sell them??
The answer is plain and simple,... I won’t,... I ordered a second Nox 800 just to run the small coil when available.
And my tried and trusted machines are going to decorate my man-cave.

Equinox 800 has just obsoleted about 5000€ of detectors to the equivalent of wall-paper.

And then I’m not going to start about the 2 full kit Deus units I had, 3 Fishers and those Garetts.

I make some nice finds, I’ve made some great finds but ultimatly for me it’s about my next find :-)
Nox 800 gives me the greatest advantage!

wilci Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Real simple.
> > Remember Equinox has 11" DD coil, is just one de
> te
> > ctor, one coil setup so far with everything I ha
> ve
> > posted thus far (don't have small coil yet).
> >
> > Notice what is able to do.
> >
> > Actually some don't know this.
> > It is my opinion Minelab Equinox is a WORLD clas
> s
> > detector.
> > All things considered.
> > Sounds like a BOLD statement, right?
> > Well, I'll be watching and see what some others
> sa
> > y.
> > Kinda hard for the folks we are used to seeing m
> ak
> > ing comments on new models. Remember some of th
> em
> > involved with detector.
> > Maybe this is why it is IMO world class.
> > And I seriously mean this.
> > But hey I am just one person.
> > My detector proving grounds- the results gotten
> th
> > ere, and reading and watching comparisons of Min
> el
> > ab gold monster, and also reading the feedback o
> n
> > Nos'x ability to find gold nuggetsa nd Nox's abi
> li
> > ty to find things in higher mineralized ground.r
> ep
> > orts.
> > All this suggest to me WORLD class detector.
> > Could I be wrong?
> > Maybe.
> > We'll see.
>
> Indeed we'll see. In Germany, Netherlands and UK t
> he forums are more septical to the Equinox.
> You are doing a lot of great testing. I love it. B
> ut fact is you are already a diehard fanboy for th
> is "WORLD class detector". I see your contibution
> s al over the (forum) places, don't matter when it
> s critical or supporting. You are not standing up
> when there is a bit Deus bashing, but going with i
> t.
> Personally, as a blunt and down to earth Dutchman,
> I think that's a pity, It's make your great testi
> ng efforts less believable in my opinion and, can'
> t help it, but got second thoughts.

HH
Johnb
March 26, 2018 10:31PM
Note this pic.

Look familiar? See the clad dime and suspended foil.
This is very similar to the in ground test talked about above.

Guess what.

I get very similar results.
Both field 1 and park 1 multi frequency jump on the dime with tone and ID swinging from both direcrions.
Park 2 yields lower conductive tone and ID approx17.
Field 2 behaves a little differently than in ground test, but still gives me no info to know dime is present.

New pic.
More complicated test.

Have added more foil,elevated above clad dime.
Sweeping generally in direction of yard stick.
Park 1 and field 1 using multi frequency nail the dime. Stop you in your tracks with any reasonable sweep speed. Speed 7 used in test. ID of higher conductor present too.
Park2 a fail, just gives mid tone
Field 2 big time fail.

So. Nox user could waltz into a site with modern trash and run park 2. And get targets IDing in actual pull ring and tab range. But what they don't know the target could be a higher conductive say coin that's masked partially at least by lower conductor like foil.
The user profile mode could come in handy here maybe.

Now I need to back to test some iron and high conductor coin like clad dime.

And then, what about a mix of lower conducive trash masking and at the same time ferrous partially masking?
Which detect mode is the odds on favorite?
Maybe I can try and draw some conclusions with some test.

What do we know right now.
Even as good as (regular) multi frequency is, a one setup using won't do for all detecting venues.
And Nox being a weighted multi freq VLF detector, a site depending, will require multiple hunts using the Equinox to deem it Nox dead.
And this is with stock coil.
So up the ante here, for even more hunts due to other coil sizes coming (soon hopefully).
Now one's soil minerals may play here for how many hunts (detect) modes needed to make site Nox dead.
But some Nox owners are reporting most depth achieved even in milder soil,using park 2 detect mode. This is the case in my area too.
Now obviously a person digging any and all nonferrous signals, likely fewer hunts needed to declare a site Nox dead.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2018 11:21PM by tnsharpshooter.
March 27, 2018 05:07AM
@Tnss Hunting worked fields and beaches they are never hunted out. Soil gets turned over, sand eroded and accumulates. Iron deteriorates and gets smashed by plows, tillers, seeders, beach cleaning machines. You hunt and look at what is in your pouch, try to remove some big iron in the process.
It simply isn’t possible to clean it out in a lifetime with a metal detector and a digger.

Maybe an excavator and a gold sluice running 24/7 can make a dent :-)

HH
Johnb
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 111 hours field time/41 hours testing 3-28-2018
March 28, 2018 04:15PM
Now for the folks who have been following my thread.

Have you seen me say anything field performance wise about Equinox that is relatable to the following....

This here copied from the Minelab Equinox original thread (long).

NASA-Tom Wrote:
> ((( Well said )))
>
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> Another one for you...steveg
>
> WHAT IF........... A sharp Chief Design Engineer h
> as figured out a way........ through multiple chan
> nels,,,, multiple frequencies........ certain non-
> incremental bits (out of 32 or 64 bits)........ of
> "seeing" the iron...... then finding the best way/
> channel/frequency/bit....to 'see' the iron the lea
> st.............. whereby/hereby/then .... allowing
> /authorizing the easiest way of NOT seeing the iro
> n; rather...... enhancing/seeing THROUGH the iron.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2018 04:22PM by tnsharpshooter.
March 28, 2018 07:17PM
Time for another test.
Beach hunters, some out of the box thinking just might pay off in places.
Meaning Beach modes could prove less useful vs say a land detect mode like park 1.

A pic here.

You see in the pic a 14k men's big gold wedding band. And 2 pieces of foil sitting above.

Now a Equinox user may indeed try and dig the say ring vdi range targets and not the foil range where smaller gold and chains likely will fall.

Park 1 is the clear winner here letting me know ring range ID target exists.
Also realize this is a big gold ring, if a smaller gold ring was placed in equation here, the masking effects would,ve even more tremendous hence using other modes besides park 1, the gold ring even more compromised in being able to tell its existence via ID and tone. Field 2 here does pretty good too.o

So a person could decide to dig ID range 9 and higher say to 19 targets in search of gold rings. Polluted spot some other detectorist - even an uneducated Equinox Runner may indeed hit similar scenario in the wild and pass thinking foil or other junk smaller lower conductive target.

The thinking here is smaller foil could mask a gold ring and make it look like somewhat bigger foil (fooling a person) using some of the modes. Park 1 clearly give advantage here. This could also be seen/applied in a park situation too.

So when you are using your Equinox always be gathering Intel. Like in a park where you are getting loads of signals reading 1, ,2,3,4,5,6 and maybe even 7s and 8s. Might be good to go to park 1 detect mode and swing through. You may be rewarded.

Just thought I would share.

Some info from a freshwater beach hunt late this afternoon. I will leave any discussions as fas as Nox and salt water beach to someone else. I don't do.

Anyway I found a few things, nothing of real value.
Ran a lot of different detect modes when hunting and did a few comparisons over targets before digging.

This pic here, found this small whatever, clad dime in pic for scale.

Located this tiny target using beach 1 mode Sens at 24 speed 6.
Don't know how deep it actually was, other than it wouldn't deep.
ID as 1 in the meter with pretty good tone.

Had to pit this little whatever in a small plastic bag pronto so I wouldn't lose.
After getting back home I did a test comparing the detect modes airtest. (Not all)
Not real technical distance wise. But just to see which mode(s) would strike it better.
I left in small plastic bag and placed a 2x4 on bag to secure due to the wind. So I Was sweeping at least a 2x4 thinkness above this whatever when sweeping- testing.
Park 1 - fail
Field 1- fail
Park 2 - good signal
Field 2 - decent signal
Beach 1- fail
Beach 2- didn't check
Gold 1- pass and gave best signal and most coil height afforded and detect.
Gold 2- didn't check

My freshwater beach detecting time career wise very limited.
But I think I can fairly say, park 2 will get you deeper than beach 1 will.
And park 2 not shabby either on smaller lower conductors.
Gold 1 mode, you use that one, hold on you are in for a ride, if there is any small foil, minute bits of foil around. A user can be a sleep at the switch more so using gold 1 and strike smaller nonferrous.
I did check some of the targets providing 1 as ID using park 1 with disc dialed back to 0. Many times it wouldn't even give a signal, but park 2 would lots of times.
My experience at the freshwater beach today, I went there knowing a whole lot more about Equinox than my last visit.
Amazing to see a 11" coil hit this small stuff.
Did dig a few square tabs, one at 10.5", and one at Garrett propointer length deep plus add safely 2" at least. Was running Sens at 24 the whole time, Equinox purred.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2018 12:55AM by tnsharpshooter.
March 28, 2018 07:52PM
Beach diggers,..... DIG,..... PERIOD.

If it sounds off non ferrous,... its probably impervious to salt water and doesn’t corrode. That should ring a bell :-)

Foil and gold don’t mix on a wind and wave swept beach.

In the dry sand people like to dig a hole and dump their trash in it. So back to basics,... DIG!

HH
Johnb
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 114 hours field time/41 hours testing 3-29-2018
March 29, 2018 06:14PM
Alright here a pic with a power pack installed on Nox.

I went to Wally World and bought the strips- note the container they came in.
This power pack is rated 6000 mAH, not very heavy.
Person could use a bigger rated.
I have two 6000 and two10,000 MaH rated.

A person with small arms can actually use pack on top of the cuff too.

The velcro strips allow you to secure with some pressure too, so the pack ain't going anywhere.
In wetter conditions since the pack doesn't have a lot of clearance under, mounting on to of cuff would be a work around.
I have used my Nox with pack in top of cuff loads.

Either setup allow for quick pack changes in the field if need be.
And by using the pack, your internal detector's battery service life overall will be extended somewhat.

Will post a pic here with pack mounted on top of cuff, but this pic shows the pack taped rather than using Velcro.
I have used the Velcro strips and both ways of mounting work well.
A user gets to monitor occasionally their pack's power level too.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2018 06:24PM by tnsharpshooter.
March 30, 2018 01:05AM
scoopjohnb Wrote:
> Beach diggers,..... DIG,..... PERIOD.
>
> If it sounds off non ferrous,... its probably impe
> rvious to salt water and doesn’t corrode. That sho
> uld ring a bell :-)
>
> Foil and gold don’t mix on a wind and wave swept b
> each.
>
> In the dry sand people like to dig a hole and dump
> their trash in it. So back to basics,... DIG!

If it beeps dig it. That is beach hunting. No standing there swinging the coil back and forth over the target. No trying to get a VDI number. No cross checking frequencies. Just dig the target. The only things I want from a detector is the ability to blank iron, stability and as much depth as I can get. Wow one sentence. I don't even want to think on the beach. Just listen for soft tones and watch the honeys. Anything else is BS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2018 01:08AM by goodmore.
March 30, 2018 07:36PM
Goodmore,

I suspect Fisher is Working on your ideal Beach detector even as we speak.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 121 hours field time/43 hours testing 3-31-2018
March 31, 2018 10:15PM
Equinox to me loves nickels. And it loves them too in already hard hunted sites with iron and modern trash.
So I did a test just to see.

A pic.

Not a complicated test.
You see US nickel, look tucked in under left 2x4, you'll see some foil. Windy here today so Imhad to hold it down by placing 2x4 block on top of. Also notice the nail suspected above nickel plane some and off to the right,
Swinging coil over over top of blocks (coil height).
Nox park 2 speed 7 bust this nickel. With ID. 13 in the window. Hover sweeps yield 12/13 in the window.

I checked Etrac with stock coil. On your best day of you caught it just right you might dig. But most sweeps this nickel is all over the place. Like conductive number 11, 12, 14, 15, and even 16. Even saw a few 18s. Really hit and miss. And if you try doing what I call hover sweeps you are basically SOL, no way in the world to tell nickel exist. Tried some different settings too.

I checked Deus wearing 9" and 11" LF coils. Both coils a user is SOL. No way to judge a nickel is lurking.
Nokta Impact wearing stock coil. Same thing SOL, no way to tell nickel exist. It reads like 15 points over what a nickel reads. Deus does too.
Rutus alter 71, again SOL, no way to judge a nickel is lurking.
All the detectors above I tried differ t freqs and settings.

This may be a big part of the reason why so many nickels are being had by Equinox. They are being left behind in sites by folks using other detectors.

Thought I would share.

Additionally I have been checking coin signals located with Equinox and comparing Etrac. In sites I had pounded previously using Etrac and CTX. Sure thing high percentage of these coins undetectable by Etrac.
Found a clad dime this morning in a site. I know I have swung every detecfor with stock coil I have owned but 2. Chaser unit and warrior unit. Etrac this morning no dice. Clad dime a mere 2" deep.
Absolutely shocking.
Equinox was banging the dime and giving ID 26 in the window.
I felt like a fool. Dug a 6" deep plug. And turns out the dang dime was in the top of the plug.

All my house sites since getting Equinox and using have produced coins but 1. Gent took about 4" dirt off the front yard a couple years ago. Could be reason why.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2018 10:27PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 121 hours field time/43 hours testing 3-31-2018
April 01, 2018 12:27PM
Interesting technique for distinguishing bottle caps from good targets.[youtu.be]
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 131 hours field time/43 hours testing Updated 4-04-2018
April 04, 2018 10:42PM
Still a plugging along with Equinox.

Went to freshwater beach today to use the Equinox and try out my new scoop.

Thought I would share some info with folks.

First of all, I truly think folks using Equinox on freshwater beach are going to have a ball using. It will be interesting to see what folks can find this summer using.

Equinox don't mess around on smaller stuff either. I used predominately park 2 today. Did have to watch GB, as the ground would change depending on sand depth. Experiencing using Beach 1 mode, it didn't seem the ground balance reading would change like it did when park 2 was selected.

Also based on today use and previous freshwater beach hunts, seems a person depending on which detect mode they use, it's like changing gears as far as how big or small a finds one wants to key on when detecting.
Gold 1 will certainly find the specks of foil. Lol
Park 2 seems rings could be considered dead meat.
Beach 1 seems runs a tad quieter but offers a tad less depth vs park 2.

Enjoyable detector for me to use on fresh water beach.

Here is a pic of finds. Now this beach has limited numbers of folks who visit. In a couple weeks I have another freshwater beach that will be open to public. This particular beach has several more folks whom frequent.

Also got a call last week from an older gent. He lives in a place that is very old site. He had lost something in his garden (hammer) when plowing and wanted me to find it. I found the hammer and ventured over to the side of the garden and this popped out. About 60 ft away a cemetery with folks buried in year 1835.

Don't know how old this is. Looks old though, some kind of ladies pin. Was under 3 big roots that crisscrossed, so yep it has shovel damage. Didn't have my saw of hand digger with me.
I am trying to get this gent to let me hunt this site. Who knows what may be in it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2018 10:58PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 133 hours field time/ 45 hours testing 4-09-2018
April 09, 2018 07:19PM
Some folks have been discussing Equinox and trying to figure how the different detect modes are weighted frequency wise.
I sure don't know for sure.

If I had to guess based on just these test assuming the better a detect mode gives 2 way signal, the higher it is weighted frequency wise.
A couple pics

So I compared park 1, park 2, Field 1, Field 2, and gold 1 detect modes.
I set speed to 7, iron bias to 0 on all, and set tones at 50 with all except gold 1 checks.
Some slight alterations with postion of nail and coin done too, to note differences obtained using the different detect modes.

To me based on just these tests, the order from lowest frequency weighted to highest is...

Park 1
Field 1
Park 2
Field 2
Gold 1

This is just my opinion, and YES more tests (different) should/could be done to make a better guess.
Maybe someone someday will tell us for sure.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2018 07:37PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 144 hours field time/ 47 hours testing 4-18-2018
April 18, 2018 08:55PM
Let's add this test here. I think it shows something very worthy.

First a pic.

Imagine your find of a lifetime laying where the dime is, in respect to the nail buried. In the same configuration.

Could you ever detect it?

Well,
I have compared some detectors, and thought I would share with you the results.

First let me say the top of the nail is towering approx 2" above dime's plane where it is sitting in pic.

First up Nokta Impact and 4x7" coil.
No cigar, it will not give me nothing tonally to investigate to tell me a nonferrous target is possibly lurking.

Deus round HF coil.
Using a disc of 6 and pitch tones reactivty 3 gives a real signal all the down to the coil barely clearing nail and with decent coil height as well,,but freqs 28.8 kHz and 54khz or let's say the middle and lower bands mandatory to get the results I said above. Using 14.4khz some doil height above nail must be had before any tone is gotten. Basically here the middle and highest frequency band kick booty vs lowest band.

Deus and 11" DD LF coil.
It behaves as I stated above as far as using round HF coil and lowest band selected 14.4khz, but using this particle coil 18khz mandatory.

Deus and elliptical HF coil.
I have to amend here somewhat as far as this particular coil.
Running disc 6 and pitch tones does give tone. One problem a user would normally have a hard time running disc this low in a site with nails and iron. A setting of 7 disc wise is generally IMO where a person would wind up as far as using in anything besides full tones, tone selection wise. At disc of 7, lowest and mid band freqs gives no tone on the dime, using 74 kHz does give some indication of a possible nonferrous lurking.

Equinox with stock 11" DD coil.
Using both field 2 and park 2, stock disc speed 7, it behaves a lot like the Deus wearing 11" LF coil dialed to 18khz.
You must have some coil height above nail to get a signal. There is a span of detection height wise is what I am saying here.

Etrac with stock coil.
No cigar. User is SOL!!

Can the example (scenario) in the pic exist in the field in the wild??
You better believe it!!!!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2018 11:06PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 144 hours field time/ 47 hours testing 4-18-2018
April 19, 2018 01:19AM
Nice report TNSS. I use the deus and Equinox almost exclusively now. Lately.... almost always Equinox. I keep recovering goodies from areas I’ve hit before with many detectors.
Could be that I didn’t grid properly but one thing is for sure.. the nox works and works well.

XP Deus
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
22 silvers, 2 silver rings, 1 Gold Ring -YTD 2018

Some of my random digs: [www.youtube.com]
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 147) hours field time/ 47 hours testing 4-21-2018
April 21, 2018 05:53PM
Back out with Euinox this morning in my detector proving grounds site. This site luckily is pasture vs hay field so no fertilizer applied.
A roughly 20ft by 20 ft section with a landmark right beside. So I know this area well as far as my detecting history goes.

I can say right now, on top of the ground or elevated scenarios testing and comparing Nox to other detects don't reflect just how good the Nox is at finding nonferrous targets.

I ran Park 2 mode initially for just a few minutes, and then switched to Feild 2 detect mode. I could tell right away even running both modes at speed 7 iron bias 0, field 2 mode was separating and tonally reporting the ferrous smother, not as cramped vs park 2.

Did make a few finds too, and only compared one of the finds located with Nox with Deus and 9" HF coil.

The Deus would see the target.
But freqs of 28.8khz and 54 kHz mandatory.
I even did a little experimenting.
I only checked the target using reactivty 3 silencer -1 as fas as these settings go.

So I checked this target, using 0 disc full tones in 28.8 kHz, IMO would be a hard target by listening to make a dig deciosn on.
Raising disc to 6 and listening using full tones a slightly improved signal. I would dig it if I heard.
Leaving disc at 6 going to pitch tones and dialing pitch of tone to maximum.
I could hear in 28.8khz, so Imstarted raising disc to see if target signal would become compromised. At a 9 disc setting a person had better be in their game to hear this target, level 10 disc signal gone altogether.

I checked using 54 kHz doing the above as far as raising disc. At a 10 setting disc wise I could indeed still hear the target.

Now with me saying all this above as far as Deus and round HF coil and the disc settings. There is one problem. User can be fooled very easy and dig some iron. There is no fine line really on decision making based on tone like using disc 6 and pitch tones. Sure a person can dig the no-brainers but by only doing you are leaving finds in the ground in polluted sites (ferrous).

And full tones and 0 disc and even low positive disc don't answer the calling here either, meaning user can still be fooled..

Pinpoint size on targets can't be used either to make dig or no dig decisions, although strength of pinpoint is a good method to use.

Now, enter the Nox. It on the find above gave the best intelligent signal (objective comparison here) as far as my opinion on actual locating and after locating, Nox signal best. By listening to Nox signal I would have rated this signal > 85 percent of being nonferrous. Using Deus and listening and based on behavior of tone I would rate > 50 percent chance of being nonferrous. And the reason is the signal was jut so short, like a blip sound. Nails can do this sometimes.

Field 2 using Nox is for real, I have had good luck locating finds. A user just needs to build themselves a regiment of things to study when the Nox sounds off. It can sound off on iron. Hint here. Using single freq especially 20 and 40 kHz can indeed help a person.

The target above 40khz single freqwould bump, 20khz no cigar (speed7).

There were 3 other finds made.
Two of these finds would yield nothing tonally using single freq ops (speed 7).
Both buttons too. And not overly deep.

The Nox seems is able to eek out nonferrous fighting the mineral affects with the multi frequency the unit possesses and with the tech.

To be able to make even 4 finds in this site with Nox with a 11" DD coil is extraordinary. This site is that bad. And I have busted it hard many, many times. So for anyone who thinks Nox is a mediocre relic unit-Better Think Again.

Or if the Nox is mediocre indeed, then the Deus is too.

I don't think either are actually.

I'll post a pic.

And plan on going back this after noon late. This field is ultra short right now with all this cooler than usual temps. It is just one of those sites, one that shows how a detecfor works and one never knows what might pop out.

Strength of pinpoint not size also can help a Nox user when making dig or no dog decisions. But a user of Nox will need to have some run time to get the hang of what is a stronger pinpoint vs. weaker.

I like hunting as far as locating with AM off.
Occasionally I will sweep some with it engaged though. But IMO when on it makes it harder to depict which targets are more suspect though.

Also I am becoming overly suspicious that Nox is besting Deus on thinner finds on edge.
Can't prove yet, but do suspect.
Nos has the uncanny ability it seems to give tone too on these types of finds as coil passes. Not when coil is over the center it seems.
Just a theory I have right now.
More time may prove.

Now this particular site has about every size of iron know. Lol
The pic below shows what a Deus user can dig using disc 6 or 7 (what I used), these babies sounded pretty good.
Pitch tones used.

Now full tones will smoke some of these out. And user won't dig, but user can by doing miss other good stuff.

I sure didn't dig any of these with Nox.

And I am not dogging Deus here, just showing what a position a person may find themselves in sometimes depending on a site.

In regular nails and bits, Deus does a better job.
Nickel in pic for scale to show iron size.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2018 06:31PM by tnsharpshooter.
April 21, 2018 10:31PM
Over on FINDS on the Metal Detecting forum this quote: "It's still better than the NOX in heavy iron with it's single frequency". The poster is speaking of the DEUS--Rumor has it that the Nox made all single freq. detectors obsolete---I am confused????
April 21, 2018 11:55PM
doc holiday Wrote:
> Over on FINDS on the Metal Detecting forum this qu
> ote: "It's still better than the NOX in heavy iron
> with it's single frequency". The poster is speakin
> g of the DEUS--Rumor has it that the Nox made all
> single freq. detectors obsolete---I am confused???
> ?

All I can do is report honestly what I am seeing with both of the units.

Deus with LF coil will definitely miss some finds Nox will snag. I know this much.
I can also say, Deus will call round as in marble shaped nonferrous iron or extremely close to iron and fool a user. Nox lights up this shape targets handily.

I like them both. Nox seems can illuminate targets in mineral too.

Folks can buy and use what they want.
I have reported on Deus all coils but the monster LF coil on this forum.

Nox IMO easier to be finding more challenged nonferrous faster as far as detector experience, and also as far as overall detecting experience.
Of course this is my opinion and we all know what they say about opinions.

I hope you eventually get over your confusion Doc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2018 12:07AM by tnsharpshooter.
April 22, 2018 01:18AM
Go read the post on Finds and perhaps you will see why I am confused.
April 22, 2018 02:03AM
doc holiday Wrote:
> Go read the post on Finds and perhaps you will see
> why I am confused.

Alright Doc,
I went an read. I noticed one poster from UK. No need to mention any names.
I am not biased in the slightest.
Bought all my Deus and Equinox units, and I am not insinuating anyone else is biased either.

Fact
Equinox in my sites has indeed provided more intelligent/robust signals on some undisturbed nonferrous finds in the wild vs Deus (comparing all coils except larger LF coil)
I did a lot of settings changes with Deus too. I really tried.

Deus tone has tendency to become compromised with mineral depending on target size, conductive, orientation and depth.
One thing to notice. Gent from UK, his soil likely milder. Another gent lives in eastern NC, his soil milder.

So is Deus really be exposed here for one of its weaknesses ? I doubt it.

I know what my soil does to Deus, don't get me wrong Deus is still good performer in medium mineralized soil, but can struggle on some targets.
Nox can capitalize here.

So yes old decayed iron is one thing. But if we add some higher mineral dirt to this environment things get even tougher.

I saw where it was said Deus offers more.
What does this mean exactly.

If Nox had the equivalent sized coils currently available for Deus then what?

Deus hunting in tin, folls better buckle in they are I for a ride.
Deus in salt water, folks better buckle in they are in for a ride.

Here is some thing interesting.
Deus can't be run one way with one coil in a site loaded with iron, where a user can be certain they got all nonferrous (Deus is able to detect). And this is not depth related either necessarily.

Nox in Field 2 I feel in speed 7, iron bias 0, is able to capture a higher percentage of (Nox detectable) with just these settings.

I like both and it is my opinion right now based on my experience with both, an old site can't be deemed dead (although this term really nonapplicable) both detectors should be exposed to a site.

I went through a site this afternoon late, Field 2 iron bias 0. I can say my learning this detector seems Immay have crossed the arc, because I really could understand the Nox here and thought it did a grand job with the iron in this one site. This area is a nightmare really, especially if you take a new detector to you in. Been there and done this.

Something else here to say about Nox vs Deus.
It is my opinion a user using Deus say running reactivty 3, they are at a disadvantage with depth here, and if a signal does register it can be real short or faint. User had better be on their game. Speed 7 Park 2 late this afternoon I hit a musket ball pretty deep and it gave a very robust signal. This was in cleaner ground and depth was approx 9.5", about a 1/2" shy of TRX pointer length. So a user of Nox can it seems hit some deeper and do some good separating/unmaking even when running fast speed setting.

There is also a depth advantage for Nox here in my soil for Nox vs Deus wearing 9" HF coil.

I noticed the gent over at you know where stated he had been testing the Nox for 4 weeks I believe. Why so long you reckon? I mean if the Deus was torching Nox, it wouldn't take 4 weeks to figure out would it.

I know what I did after just running Nox for 40 minutes. I believe I posted about. I actually saw something with Nox and just had to go get one of my Deus units with 11" LF coil to see.

And all the above doesn't even take into account, Nox is a BETTER modern trash hunter vs deus.
And believe it or not, you don't even have to use multimfreq to witness this. Just select 5 kHz and speed 7 and you'll see.
Deus seems is geared more so to hunting in iron, it does good when all it has to do is make a binary decision between nonferrous and ferrous. But its ID (and associated tone) seems is more easily compromised vs Nox when exposed to ferrous and junk nonferrous targets.

Now, I think I read where Nox was a 5 year project.
If this is true, there is a good chance Minelab didn't know when they started Nox that Xp were actually had HF coils in the works.
Now, can a person hunt a modern trash site with Deus and HF coil well? IMO no. You can hunt though.
So a LF coil on Deus is better vs HF coil to hunt modern trash site with.
So you need 2 coils.
Last time I checked they don't give away either HF coils or LF coils.
True now a user can buy Deus package with HF doil. But this package won't give a person as much latitude for detecting on land totally as Nox will.

We'll see what this 6" coil does on Nox.
Who knows we may see additional sized coils made for Nox.

If HF coils didn't exist for Deus, Imthinkmeven Moore folks would be leaning Nox for relic hunting.

Ergo on Deus is better than Nox. With Nox wearing stock coil.

Xp, they won't admit, but they got ahead of themselves. They should have put battery in stem on the LF coils from the get go. Folks would like better since they can change battery themselves and the battery located here improves ergo for Deus somewhat.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2018 01:25AM by tnsharpshooter.
April 22, 2018 03:08AM
But you did see where the poster said:"It's still better than the NOX in heavy iron with it's single frequency" and this was said by a person who challenged ANY single frequency detector to step into the ring with the NOX,but has ended up saying that there IS a single frequency detector that"is still better than the NOX in heavy iron with it's single frequency". Hence this is Why lil ole me is confused.
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 150) hours field time/ 47 hours testing 4-22-2018
April 23, 2018 03:07AM
The weather finally allowed me today to take a little B-day hunt.
I headed off to a site I had pounded a lot with Deus last year.

I hunted with Equinox using field 2 mode.

And carried Deus with round HF coil and 11" LF coil along with me.

I was able to locate 8 nonferrous targets using Nox. Field 2 speed 7 factory disc . 0 iron bias.
All targets were checked in single freq and only one gave any sign of its existence in both 20 and 40khz. The rest Notta.
I also while in multi freq field 2 I varied speed of detector to check targets. Speed 6 all targets but one highly crippled chopped audio, would have been super hard to locate IMO using speed 6. Speed 5 all went bye, no intelligible signal to tell me nonferrous suspect target existed.

Comparing the signals using Deus LF coil using all settings I could think of, no detection on none of the targets. Most of my time spent in 18khz.

Comparing the targets using the round HF coil. Using 14.4 kHz yielded no signals on none of the targets. Using 28.8 kHz yielded a signal on one of the targets, and coincidentally this was the same target Nox yielded tone while using both 20 and 40 kHz. Many different settings tried too here to detect.

Comparing using 54khz I was able to get signals on 5 of the targets.

Three of the targets yielded nothing telling me nonferrous existed.

Nonferrous target depths ranges from 2" - 8" deep with most in the 5-6" depth range.

I have witnessed this before on a couple other outings when comparing the Nox and Deus.
Disc 6 using pitch tones was tried using Deus, disc 0 full tones did at times yield tone alright, but to my ears it sounded like iron.(for the failure to report signal). And disc 2 and 3 used with full tones used, typically this can elevate pitch of tone using Deus on targets especially partially masked, but today they still sounded like iron to me, hence Inwouldn't have dug, and just maybe the reason they were still in the site. (Again this on the ones I say failed to report).

Nonferrous targets sizes varied from musket ball size small to actual flat buttons and one cuff link.

The signals Equinox gave on these signals very intelligent. Clear full signals,

Some thing else I notice about Equinox when hunting in iron. If running with AM off with factory disc, if you here a bump at the edge of audio, target is likely ferrous. I am still trying to get the Nox to lie to me here (doing some digging for verification), so far extremely high percentage of time it's telling me the truth. Now if you engage AM and here a bump and you think iron you may lose. And ferrous here may or may not be the cause of the iron audio showing up in edge of audio.

Field 2 is night and day different when hunting in iron vs park 1 or park 2 or even field 1. Much more tame detector. And for some reason the detector reports lower audio ally it seems. Ferrous with Equinox like to repeat louder, nonferrous softer- keys
Also looking around, GB number in window, a user CANNOT discern ground mineral levels. I am not saying a person can actually judge ground minerals by looking at ground phase number in a lot of detectors, but I think a person using can get an idea of mild vs harsh ground (odds wise) by looking. With Equinox you can't even do this.
Don't know what is used to compute the number, but it seems Nox less traditional here.

I may post a pic of the nonferrous targets found today.
I may have said before here. In my area Nox GB using park 2 and field 2 hangs around 54 approx.
Field 1 and park 1 around 10 points less approx.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2018 03:28AM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Equinox 800 report (154) hours field time/ 48 hours testing Update in progress
April 26, 2018 10:19PM
An update here on my Equinox 800 use.
First I'll share a pic here.

You can see how many hours I have used the Nox.
You can also see the stains on the control face. I have cleaned already a few times with alcohol pad too.
You can also see hopefully the scratches in the protective screen shield. Likely caused mosty by the zipper on my jacket hitting the screen especially when detecting in higher wind conditions.
Bottom line put the protective shield on your screens, right out the gate.

I think the use of the keypad if not protected, the ongoing abrasions cause by one's fingers will in time put a great deal of wear on the membranes.
I plan to apply a clear shield over mine after I give it a good cleaning.
When freshwater beach hunting, the sand on ones fingers definitely could accelerate wear here.

Another pic.

Today was the first day I used the wi stream wireless headphone model one gets with the 800 model package.
Hunted in the rain today, so picked the ear buds up for $5 at the dollar store and put the model in my zippered jacket pocket and hunted away.
Figured the worst I could do is trash a 5 buck pair of earbuds by getting wet.

Folks may laugh here when Insay this. Remember several hours using wireless headphones, today using the module I could tell a difference with the detector reporting. I was in a very polluted site too. Didn't do any comparisons to the wireless headphones. Just seemed to me a little different (better) using the headphone module. Those earbuds will come in handy in hotter weather too.

Today I spent 4 hours in what I call my detector proving grounds site.
And I did use prospecting 1 detect mode 0 iron bias a great deal.
Now this place is pounded to high heavens namely but me.
Every single target was compared using both field 2 detect mode (50 tones) as well as prospecting 1 mode.
The targets turned out to be located initially about even percentage wise between the 2 detect modes.
Every single nonferous target located using prospecting 1 mode, field 2 would,give good signal on. (Same speed settings) used to compare (each mode).
No nonferrous target deeper than 8".
Most actually between 5-7" deep.
One a mere 2" deep.

So what about prospecting mode.
I could hunt the site, but many times resweeps of spots of interest based on initial tone provided had to be done. Primary reason why, is because the way this mode works when sweeping ferrous, a time span for tonal transition will give users clue so they can spot the ferrous. So if you sweep a bit too fast you might not get a good listen to this time span for tonal transition. Sorta like Minelab GPX unit here for those familiar. Real short time span on tonal transition good indicator of iron. Using this mode and be real busy, it was for me today. But I have deus experience running full tones 0 disc- this helps. Now don't get me wrong field 2 in this same site ain't no cake walk just prospecting mode 0 iron bias busier.

Both modes seems can lie to you though on some iron. I witnessed this today. One target listening to field 2 just a hint of stutter in audio whereas prospecting 1 mode more stutter. If I would have have applied my regiment I usually use using field 2 I would have walked. But field 2 based on my past experiences, it was a dig me signal - not 100% sure it was nonferrous more like > 75 % chance.

Modulation using prospecting mode is actually better IMO on the shallower bigger iron vs field 2. But as far as actual nonferous buried good luck. I like the signal provided using field 2 better vs prospecting one tone provided. Field 2 use does at times provide high torn flash at the end of sweeping ferrous. You don't get this with prospecting mode.

Now, IMO the site today I was at using prospecting 1 detect mode more friendly to use vs my own yard. My yard is holy terror using.

I do think a user of Equinox can learn prospecting mode by locating some targets using say field 2 and comparing.

Now, here's what I don't know yet. What does a super high fringe masked detectable sound like using prospecting 1 mode. I do know what one of these using field 2 sound like.
So it may take me some more time detecting before I can figure out.

I did check one target discovered today using park 2. Not near as good a signal. And I checked with field 1 too. And even worse signal vs park 2. Kept speed the same in all modes comparing with iron bias at 0. Field 1 mode no way in the world on my best day would I have located the nonferrous. Park 2 it would have been possible on my best day I think. Field 2 easy money.

The Equinox purred like a kitten today and Sens was at 23 and 24 all the time.

Pinpoint strength is still one of the best clues to elimate some bigger iron. A medium strength or lighter sounding pinpoint pretty good give away for odds of nonferous. Trying to use pinpoint for sizing, a waste of time really in polluted site.

Equinox, does good in iron for coil size. Every single target today after plug removal and replacement, immediate area check using AM, all had iron, actually seemed all had multiple ferrous spread out.
Wish I had the time, to do a full area of target study just to see how much ferrous is there.

So Imdon't confuse folks with what Insaid about the earbuds with module sounding better. Tonally as far as sound they sounded identical to the wireless. I just thought based on my hand eye, ears, and brain coordination with coil sweeping using the module did better.

Nox has some tools aboard to use, I encourage folks to use them. Besides you paid for them.

Before I post a pic of the finds, I should say these couple things.
I did check 2 of the target dug undisturbed status using 15, 20 and 40 kHz using field 2. One of the targets yielded nothing tonally using the 3 freqs, and the other yield a very extremely small bump of tone in 40khz only.

Now a pic of the finds.
All nonferrous except for the 3 on the right,
Vertical standing square nail seems fools the Nox some times.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2018 11:43PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Equinox 800 report (154) hours field time/ 48 hours testing Update in progress
April 26, 2018 11:51PM
Don't use an alcohol to remove a dirt from a plastic surfaces. Use a dishwashing liquid and some warm water.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2018 11:52PM by Gastro.
Re: Equinox 800 report (164) hours field time/ 48 hours testing -Updated 4-29-2018
April 29, 2018 04:48PM
Some more Equinox feedback.

The use of prospecting mode has been brought up as late.

After 10 hours of objectively comparing nonferrous and ferrous- in the wild couple real old sites.

It is my honest opinion Equinox using field 2 in the worst of polluted the use of 50 tones is where Nox performs best.
Folks need to remember Equinox is reporting while in 50 tones over iron it can't do using 2 tone, and yes even prospecting mode 1.

Users will notice using 50 tones some high tones coming off of iron, you won't hear this using 2 tone.
Equinox also can report using 50 tones where the ID provided is misaligned slightly with tone provided- clue for ferrous/nail.

Will a person get fooled using field 2?
Certainly.
What detector period won't fool a user.

The nice hollow sounding tone is very unmistakeable using field 2 detector mode using 50 tones and disc set back to 0.

I'll let the greater detecting public weigh in with their opinions here as get they get more time on their units.

As far as prospecting mode 1 goes for hunting pounded sites, I'll be watching for a you tube that shows Equinox a hitting a target using prospecting mode 1 and not in field 2, where such target is deemed not out of field 2 depth range.
I truly think such targets are extremely rare.
Meaning is it worth the trade off a user of prospecting one has to go through vs field 2 detect mode.
Now I have also had sucess using park 2 as well.

Nail board tests don't paint the tell all. When we can see what's under the coil. And match up what we hear with what we see. This would be a SUPER controlled setting.
In the wild, good luck with having such a controlled setting. As we can't see what's under our coils.

And there is more to masking than nails and even dirt. Things like sprigs of iron and rust.

When someone says Equinox is not a good unmasker?
What does that mean.
I encourage folks to if they have both-match up a Deus wearing an 11" DD coil and Equinox in a old site. See if you notice anything.
I certainly have.
Head to head.
It is my opinion too, Equinox has a slightly higher affinity for higher conductors vs Deus and 11" DD coil when in polluted sites. Meaning one has to run Deus in 18khz to get it to work properly in such a site.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2018 06:38PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Equinox 800 report (164) hours field time/ 48 hours testing -Updated 4-29-2018
April 29, 2018 09:12PM
Thanks for the report!

I was wondering if you've ever done any testing with the sensitivity (gain)? Specifically, at what point does lowering the sensitivity cause a loss of depth?

I often hunt right around 20. At times I've hunted with the sensitivity in the mid teens due to EMI or extreme iron infestation. I have not noticed any appreciable loss of depth but I have not done any controlled tests.

Dean
April 30, 2018 01:12AM
bado1 Wrote:
> Thanks for the report!
>
> I was wondering if you've ever done any testing wi
> th the sensitivity (gain)? Specifically, at what p
> oint does lowering the sensitivity cause a loss of
> depth?
>
> I often hunt right around 20. At times I've hunted
> with the sensitivity in the mid teens due to EMI o
> r extreme iron infestation. I have not noticed any
> appreciable loss of depth but I have not done any
> controlled tests.
>
> Dean

A hard question to give universal answer to. Depends on soil level mineralization IMO.
I see some depth loss for sure (in my soil) when I come down below 22 certainly.
Also in my area running Max Sens over clean ground checking deeper targets, tonally a little wishy washy, Sens 24 sounds better on the deeper.
I seldom run below 22 Sens.