Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Equinox 800 w/stock coil report Updated 03-26-2020 Biggest 15” coil data added.

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Interesting tests, enjoy your videos. I’m curious why you haven’t run one with iron bias especially in the masker with frequencies changes. Going in, I wouldn’t have thought frequencies would have much effect on that test either but the iron bias should.
Gary in Daytona Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting tests, enjoy your videos. I’m curious
> why you haven’t run one with iron bias especially
> in the masker with frequencies changes. Going in,
> I wouldn’t have thought frequencies would have muc
> h effect on that test either but the iron bias sho
> uld.

I’ll try to do video today showing iron bias effects on a real simple test. Nail siting 5” above buried coin’s plane in the ground. Weather here (wind) has been bad as of late. Got some better weather coming it looks like.
Little video for folks wanting to understand iron bias setting affects as far as detecting possible nonferrous in sites commingled with ferrous.

As far as changing detect modes, some very slight differences noted using same iron bias settings dependent on the frequency weighting of the detect mode used.

[m.youtube.com]

Spent some time today in relic field. Used prospecting mode 1. This is a minesweeper for targets. Will alert on targets with more coil slop on approach to targets. Will get a person to stop.
I did cross check all targets with park 2detect mode.
Park 2 use almost talked me out of one find. Musketball.
Lots of iron tone on edge of signal with horseshoe disengaged.
Target was there alright.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2018 09:15PM by tnsharpshooter.
Running Iron Bias on 0 I believe is maybe the top reason for my success with the Equinox.
It will false a lot but does better in Iron then I think it gets credit for.

In my opinion running the lower iron Bias settings of say 2 or 3 like a lot of people do isn’t worth the loss of unmasking ability
because the falsing won’t be eliminated unless you are using the highest settings anyway.

In my ground I can’t remove falsing using Iron Bias until I get to around 7 on the settings which will eliminate any ability to
find a coin next to a nail.

Good video sharpshooter.

Bryan
Cabin Fever Wrote:
> Running Iron Bias on 0 I believe is maybe the top
> reason for my success with the Equinox.
> It will false a lot but does better in Iron then I
> think it gets credit for.
>
> In my opinion running the lower iron Bias settings
> of say 2 or 3 like a lot of people do isn’t worth
> the loss of unmasking ability
> because the falsing won’t be eliminated unless you
> are using the highest settings anyway.
>
> In my ground I can’t remove falsing using Iron Bia
> s until I get to around 7 on the settings which wi
> ll eliminate any ability to
> find a coin next to a nail.
>
> Good video sharpshooter.
>
> Bryan

Thanks Bryan.
Here a little vid of Deus adjusting silencer.
Similar behavior to Nox above in video.
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2018 11:49PM by tnsharpshooter.
Good vid tnss. Thanks for sharing. Left you a comment there, but it does leave questions about why the presets on several programs are set to 6 for iron bias. Other than making the detector more manageable in heavy iron (at a loss in performance) I can’t see the advantage to this.
Gary in Daytona Wrote:
> Good vid tnss. Thanks for sharing. Left you a com
> ment there, but it does leave questions about why
> the presets on several programs are set to 6 for i
> ron bias. Other than making the detector more mana
> geable in heavy iron (at a loss in performance) I
> can’t see the advantage to this.

I think Minelab’s goal was to make it easier to use/manage for folks new to the unit. Realizing folks would eventually lower iron bias and unleash the unit for what it can really do.
Here’s a video comparing both stock and small coil. Eqx 800 model used.
50 tones is also compared with 5 tones with each coil.
A clad dime positioned near 2 nails standing vertical. One of full sized length nail the other a shorter portion nail in the vertical.
Sorry for the wind.

[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2019 10:48PM by tnsharpshooter.
Surprising video. I've only been using 2 tone. Now I have to check that out. Quite amazing the difference.

Thanks for the video.
Rick, N. MI Wrote:
> Surprising video. I've only been using 2 tone. Now
> I have to check that out. Quite amazing the differ
> ence.
>
> Thanks for the video.

You are welcome.
Minelabe is shooting themselves in the foot by not offering after market coils on the Nox or just offering a 7-8 Inch coil ...... a Nel Sharpshooter coil on a Nox would be deadly
Hunt preface video.
[m.youtube.com]

Actual hunt video
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2019 05:52AM by tnsharpshooter.
Enjoyed your hunt.
Preface video
[m.youtube.com]

Freshwater beach sand
Notice beach 1 and beach 2 come up lacking vs other park and field modes. All detect modes noise canceled beforehand. GB at zero all modes. 50 tones used on all tests except use of prospecting modes.
[m.youtube.com]

In the dirt.
Deus showed 5 dots in mineralization index meter. Deemed medium mineralization. All testing here done with actual noise cancel as well as GB done. All testing above both beach and in dirt done with iron bias set to 0 and speed 6.
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2019 11:42PM by tnsharpshooter.
Little video comparing Eqx 800 and Etrac.

[m.youtube.com]
More videos comparing eqx 800 to Etrac.
These are not laboratory test.
These videos done to show tendencies of each detector in the various tests and coins used be they higher or lower conductors.
Coil sweep speed and height and postion was managed to a what I call good. Remember even in the field we as detectorist will have some variance here too when sweeping in the wild.

Both these detectors I think will go down in the books as legendary.
Folks thinking about buying one or the other or both or coming from one detector to the other, these videos I think show how one must interpret tone and or ID address their actual situation.
Eqx does seem to report faster, more real time vs Etrac. In the test where IH coin is done you will l see where actual coil sweeping was done in more of a hover fashion. Eqx users likely will have to do this moreso cs Etrac users while detecting in the field to get a better idea what is under their coil comductive wise. It has been stated by manufacturer where fbs/fbs2 detectors seem still have advantage onnsay silver coins. I agree with this statement base on my testing and actual use. But not in all cases. Some masking of ferrous can take place and give Eqx an advantage in some situations.

[m.youtube.com]

[m.youtube.com]

[m.youtube.com]

One more video coming here in about an hour.

[m.youtube.com]

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2019 02:18PM by tnsharpshooter.
Screwed up today and dug a target I wished I had left in the ground. After digging and seeing/hearing what I did using Equinox with stock coil. I had camera on my head but didn’t turn it on.
Why?
I and likely everyone else watching would have swore I was fixing to dig some scattered foil or some birdshot.
Didn’t think folks would want to see that.
Nope not birdshot or foil, a bullet at approx 5.5” deep,

I may be wrong but I have heard what I did in this field in a few other spots. I too then thought it was birdshot. (Didn’t dig) I need to try and see if I can locate.

This scenario I encountered might have been a good experiment to see if this tech inside Nox is helping. Comparing to other detectors as well as Nox in single freq ops.

What I witnessed is lots of 1s, 2s in the screen repeating like machine gun. May have seen a 3 in there too at times. When I dig plug and flipped a hearty signal with 13 lock in screen.

Something else I plan on doing in this site I am currently hunting is run disc down somewhat using 5 tones and see what happens. Could any more nonferous be exposed??
Been using 50 tones 0 disc setting so far.

Thought I would share.
Will post a pic of this bullet. With a clad dime in pic for scale. Not an overly small bullet by no means.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2019 11:55PM by tnsharpshooter.
Alright after this afternoon’s hunt I can go out on a limb 100 %.
The Wi Stream module that comes with 800 model.
Folks wanting to be all they can be with EQX working difficult sites. Wi stream module will help get you there.
I can say for myself anyway, using the Wi steam module with even a cheap set of Walkman headphones I can distinguish iron better vs suspect nonferous target.
When I am switching directions using coil over signals using wi stream I am getting better feel for detecting scenario at hand.
I am dismissing fewer signals with Wi stream vs blue tooth oem headphones. Getting more clunk in blue tooth.
And signals dug are indeed nonferrous.
Give the Wi stream module a try.

May add a video here (not bump thread) where some signals I dug were infact nonferrous. Wearing blue tooth headphones I would have bet more iron.
[m.youtube.com]

Afternoon finds. All nonferrous. Little button on right a baby flat button with loop, it is bent. ID was 4 undisturbed in the ground park 2.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2019 03:03AM by tnsharpshooter.
That's similar to my finding with the OEM bluetooth headphones as well. I've also tried other brands of ear buds and wireless headphones....same result. I hunt 100% of the time with Tony E's wired headphones now. It makes a big difference to me.
Folks,
Don’t get sucked in by low latency blue tooth.
Wi stream on Nox better, cleaner signal overall. Wi Stream (remember Nox is processing fast) handles the whatever Nox is putting out audio wise.
In tight situations where nonferous are hiding, a user needs all they can get to take advantage.

We’ve heard folks comment how they like nice clean sounding wired headphones using otheir units besides Nox.

I have put a lot of hours recently on Nox for numbers of days spent detecting. And I was using blue tooth wireless oem phones. So I got a good baseline in my brain. With 2.5 hours in the very same site in the same general area = BINGO, a big bingo while using the Wi stream and small Walkman headphones. It was a bit toasty the reason I chose the Wi stream.

I had commented on this before sometime back. Folks may have thought I was nuts. I can tell a difference. Big enough difference to squeeze out more with Nox,

I can actually hunt behind myself if I hunt with Bluetooth then hunt behind Wi Stream. Sounds strange maybe. The truth.

Deus would be a clunker with blue tooth. Xp was smart going different route.

Special note here. Seems it took longer for my Nox to recharge after using Wi stream module vs blue tooth head phones.

Will check again soon.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2019 04:58AM by tnsharpshooter.
Daniel...... i like Tonys phones for water hunting too. First few times ..... i didnt, i was so used to volume of speakers and everything sounding loud. But..... i found there is a difference in the amount of minerals you hear from waist to neck deep salt water. Tonys piezos seem to calm that a good bit and gave better modulation. Not a lot of targets out there with all the sand build up so they really made a difference. Ive used the phones that came with the machine very little. Havent tried earbuds either mostly because im in and out of deeper water.
I did two hunts using the module and am convinced that it enhances the deeper signals. I'm using the same Trond bluetooth headphones I was using before, only I have them wired to the module. The tones are richer and sharper. I also noticed that I can hear the threshold at 1 which I don't think I could even hear with bluetooth. I'm completely sold on the module now and won't be going back to bluetooth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2019 10:37AM by Badger in NH.
The Equinox over iron. It talks to a person. There is nuance there. And listening for the hitch in audio will give it away. The lag in the signal will give info to folks.

Notice I said lag or break in signal will give intel. This intel far better using Wi stream module or even external speaker. Monster difference to my ears. Folks will experiment in a site with moderate iron will hear what I am talking about.
Get over one of those bigger pieces of iron. Sweep the coil and listen. Sweep the coil and double it back quickly over the iron. Do this with Bluetooth wireless on, then the Wi stream, then the external speaker (on calm day wind wise).

Audio clarity using Wi stream is better too. Nox talks to you via Wi stream vs blurting at you using Bluetooth wireless headphones.

So, if I use same guidelines for decision making using blue tooth wireless I have higher chance of leaving good target in the ground not knowing vs wi stream use or even external speaker use.

Now, even using Wi stream or external speaker,, will I still dig some iron?? Yes

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2019 11:50AM by tnsharpshooter.
Eqx 800 users hunting in the wild. There is a possibility a user could be thinking a weak(er) signal reporting low ID is a shallower small something like birdshot or small foil. When infact it isn’t what’s under one’s coil afterall.
I plan to share a video soon when I get.
Trying to let wind die down some.
I have to indeed go find targets and hopefully video to show folks what I am referring to above.
There are ways to make an odds on decision. Depth meter may help. But I think there is a better way maybe.
Stay tuned.

I think this applies to Eqx 600 model as well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2019 07:55PM by tnsharpshooter.
Some EQX biggest coil feedback.
I haven’t used the coil a great deal.
I can say though if a person buys, be ppepared for some added weight and a different feel. Long term use, person may decide to use a harness.
Coil not as Emi friendly on average vs stock coil. In real rural areas sensitivity levels of 23 plus can be used while in medium mineralized dirt.
Depth meter scale is different somewhat vs stock coil.
Equivalent settings used and targets compared, biggest coil generally provides stronger signal. This on targets the biggest coil and stock coil both will detect.

More to come here soon. A few videos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2019 11:35PM by tnsharpshooter.
Test with biggest coil comparing stock coil.
[m.youtube.com]

[m.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2019 04:17AM by tnsharpshooter.
More biggest coil tests.
[m.youtube.com]

Silver dime on edge using smallest EQX coil and Xp Deus Hf round 9” coil.
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2019 11:23PM by tnsharpshooter.
EQX 800 sweeping bic pen using all 3 coils as well as all 3 coils sweeping a #9 shot birdshot out of shotgun shell.

[m.youtube.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2019 03:31PM by tnsharpshooter.
Video on verifying/ updating/ selecting firmware version to be run in EQX 600/800.
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2019 09:42PM by tnsharpshooter.
Stock coil. Version 1.5.0 vs version 1.7.5 sweeping silver quarter, silver half dollar and silver dollar all on edge
Before and after video.
[m.youtube.com]

Smallest coil. Version 1.5.0 vs version 1.7.5 sweeping silver quarter, silver half dollar and silver dollar all on edge..
[m.youtube.com]

Biggest Coil. Version 1.5.0 vs version 1.7.5 sweeping silver quarter, silver half dollar and silver dollar all on edge.
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2019 03:12AM by tnsharpshooter.