Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Equinox 800 w/stock coil report Updated 03-26-2020 Biggest 15” coil data added.

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 50 hours field time/24 hours testing Update coming soon hot smiley
February 28, 2018 12:10AM
Sounds like there is a pretty significant problem with failure of the coil to properly locate (as opposed to detect ) targets.

I get my 800 soon, I will be looking at this closely.

As far as my previous post - I guess it had no effect.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 50 hours field time/24 hours testing Updated 2-27-2018hot smiley
February 28, 2018 12:27AM
Notice use of single frequency disn't pick up hardly any of the nonferrous objects buried undisturbed.

Guess what this means?

Well, in coming days I will be comparing another good detector with various coils installed on " these targets" I can locate where use of single freq using Equinox is no go, yet multi freq alerts on them.

I believe I already know what the result will be.
We'll see though.
Got to prove it.
Then I'll know for sure.

I think NASA- Tom already knows.

I think the cat is slowly coming out of the bag.
These you tube videos people have been watching isn't doing Equinox justice really.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2018 12:32AM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 50 hours field time/24 hours testing Updated 2-27-2018hot smiley
February 28, 2018 12:59AM
TNSS what is your dirt like?
February 28, 2018 01:05AM
I’m stuck inside waiting for some snow to melt, but from the testing inside that I have done with both iron and aluminum
adjacent to coins, I can see that those who are willing to learn the audio and coil manipulation will be rewarded..
There is a lot of information in the Equinox audio and the higher Recovery speed settings are not necessarily needed
or desirable for high trash areas.. You lose a lot of information on the higher speed settings..

Bryan
February 28, 2018 01:19AM
88junior Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> TNSS what is your dirt like?

Dirt in this site.
9" deep clad dime testing with Deus using LF 9" coil, 11" LF coil, round HF coil, and HF elliptical coil, only coil,that will detect is the elliptical HF coil.
F75 no dice.
Impact no dice
Equinox will give tone -ID shaky.
Fbs using will work as far as depth.
Have dug a few deep coins, bits here actually approaching 10" deep.
Reads 4 bars on F75, 6 ticks in Deus mineral,strength meter.

Don't know of its the soil or the iron in site (old town site) that is causing the masking, could be both.
February 28, 2018 01:24AM
Cabin Fever Wrote:
> I’m stuck inside waiting for some snow to melt, bu
> t from the testing inside that I have done with bo
> th iron and aluminum
> adjacent to coins, I can see that those who are wi
> lling to learn the audio and coil manipulation wil
> l be rewarded..
> There is a lot of information in the Equinox audio
> and the higher Recovery speed settings are not nec
> essarily needed
> or desirable for high trash areas.. You lose a lot
> of information on the higher speed settings..
>
> Bryan

Bryan,
Maybe you can get out soon.
I have done a few tests that reflect use of 5khz could have advantage in modern trash site depending vs use of Mulit freq. One problem though with this assuming. Targets not buried. My results may not be worth a hill of beans.
Can say though. I think Equnox is fastest detector made. Or the fastest 5khz detector made, basing this on comparing to Deus in 4khz.
February 28, 2018 01:33AM
Yes, I was using 5 kHz Frequency to test against Multi.. I found that the rolled up or broken beaver tail pull tabs that read 12-13 Nickel signal
will fall off sharply and bounce around in 5 KHz.. Might be a good coin check tool. Crown caps that read mid teens shoot to 30s in 5 KHz..
Will have to do extensive in ground testing to validate...

Bryan
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 50 hours field time/24 hours testing Update coming soon hot smiley
February 28, 2018 02:54PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> Sounds like there is a pretty significant problem
> with failure of the coil to properly locate (as op
> posed to detect ) targets.
>
> I get my 800 soon, I will be looking at this close
> ly.
>
> As far as my previous post - I guess it had no eff
> ect.

LOL.
February 28, 2018 03:17PM
Cabin Fever Wrote:
> Yes, I was using 5 kHz Frequency to test against M
> ulti.. I found that the rolled up or broken beaver
> tail pull tabs that read 12-13 Nickel signal
> will fall off sharply and bounce around in 5 KHz..
> Might be a good coin check tool. Crown caps that
> read mid teens shoot to 30s in 5 KHz..
> Will have to do extensive in ground testing to val
> idate...
>
> Bryan

Yes Bryan the steel caps will go high TID wise (5khz application) compared to Mulit freq use. Air test, and buried and buried undisturbed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2018 03:18PM by tnsharpshooter.
February 28, 2018 03:41PM
In relation to what lytle was saying, your comment on the way the coil works and having to widen holes to dig some targets, can you elaborate more on that? Is it just when there are a lot of targets in close proximity to each other that the pinpoint is useless?
February 28, 2018 03:51PM
DigDugNY Wrote:
> In relation to what lytle was saying, your comment
> on the way the coil works and having to widen hole
> s to dig some targets, can you elaborate more on t
> hat? Is it just when there are a lot of targets in
> close proximity to each other that the pinpoint i
> s useless?

Well,
Here's the deal.
I have been hunting in sites pounded by other good detectors.
I highly suspect what's left is challenged in one fashion or another.

I have used a rather fast speed setting to locate these targets.

Now, a person really can't use pinpoint if iron is near a nonferrous target since pinpoint is AM.
So I try to do controlled sweeps Xinf the target (if I can get 4 way signal). If no 4 way signal, but a 2 way signal Imuse that to x marks the spot. Then dig in this spot.

I have been missing the nonferrous targets, but they are there alright.
Sometimes I by using pinpointer notice nails sometimes not, but I am in search of my supposed nonferrous find. Once I find Imusually quit exploring to see if any additional iron etc exist near or in hole.

Is this bad performance per se??
I certainly can't say one way or the other.
But finding any nonferrous period in the areas I am hunting is GRAND in my book using Nox, especially for 11" DD coil.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2018 03:55PM by tnsharpshooter.
February 28, 2018 04:06PM
Here’s another experience with this problem of losing signal after a plug is removed - or not finding the target where pinpointing indicated

Did you have any issues with, after taking a plug out of the hole, getting a signal on the machine as you ran the coil over the plug or hose? Mine seems to quite often 'forget' whatever it was looking for and almost every time I cannot get a tone or number on the target I just pulled out in the plug. Multiple times I have to find it with the pin pointer. Maybe I have the sense too high, whatever! ”

[www.findmall.com]

It is clear that the EQ with the 11” coil exhibits extreme edge sensitivity. It also seems to be “touch sensitive” - this has been documented on Steve H’s forum. These are a couple of issues I will be looking carefully at after I get my 800 on Tuesday.

Rick Kempf
February 28, 2018 04:10PM
Oh yeah, yesterday I lost signal on nonferrous (in the plug) after plug removal. But if I kept rolling or repositioning plug I usually could get a signal. Masking big time going on.
Not an Equinox problem the way I see it, actually a big time strength!!
February 28, 2018 04:13PM
Time will tell, but multiple reports of excessive edge sensitivity and dramatic changes in response after some soil is removed are not an especially encouraging sign.

tnss posted...”yesterday I lost signal on nonferrous (in the plug) after plug removal. But if I kept rolling or repositioning plug I usually could get a signal. Masking big time going on. ”

From that I understand that some ferrous material in the plug was masking the nonferrous target in the plug. If that is what you are saying, did you “dissect” the plug and find the ferrous and the nonferrous targets to verify masking?

Rick Kempf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2018 04:16PM by lytle78.
February 28, 2018 04:26PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> Time will tell, but multiple reports of excessive
> edge sensitivity and dramatic changes in response
> after some soil is removed are not an especially e
> ncouraging sign.
>
> tnss posted...”yesterday I lost signal on nonferro
> us (in the plug) after plug removal. But if I kept
> rolling or repositioning plug I usually could get
> a signal. Masking big time going on. ”
>
> From that I understand that some ferrous material
> in the plug was masking the nonferrous target in t
> he plug. If that is what you are saying, did you
> “dissect” the plug and find the ferrous and the no
> nferrous targets to verify masking?

Nope. But in some plugs there was ferrous I could here listening in AM.
February 28, 2018 06:34PM
All good info, but I'll let my own brain decide after a week or two of use.

When scanning an overturned plug.. slow way down! Digital filters can get confused too.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2018 06:36PM by Jackpine.
February 28, 2018 08:59PM
Alright I have been back to site.
Have done head to head on targets found by Minelab Equinox and cross check XP Deus and muliple coils.
My hunch was right.
Give me some time to put together.
I may post in thread here, but will have to keep adding for fear of losing data.
Here I am at the site.
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 50 hours field time/26 hours testing Update in Progress winking smiley
February 28, 2018 09:17PM
Alright before I start adding data here I need to say a few things.
It rained last night and this morning probably around an inch since my visit to this same site as yesterday,

I sure don't wan to mislead folks and I indeed may have. I stated I had hunted this site previously using Deus with LF coils and HF coils, but I need to clarify. Hunting in this site (with HF coils) was limited using the highest bands frequency wise using both of the HF coils. This site was predominantly hunted using the middle frequency band of 28.8khz previously.

Every target today was located using Equinox and 11" DD coil using field 2 detect mode, factory mode disc, sens at 24, iron bias at 0. Targets today were located using speed levels 6 and 7.

There were never 2 detectors turned on at the same time. When one detector was being used all others were OFF. My side by side and all other detectors not being used at the time were around 50 ft from actual spots were targets were located using Equinox.

The comparison test done, not done to make any one detector inferior or demean.

Xp Deus when LF coils were used (both 9" and 11") the highest frequency band only was used (17.xxxkhz)
When HF coils (9" round and 5x10" elliptical) were used, I compared using 28.8 kHz and each coils respective highest band freq wise-there was one exception and I will mention it later.

All detectors used today were ground balanced to actual ground.
Winds were light when I was in the site. Back phones wore with Deus with audio response 5 setting and a volume level 6 in the headphones. Wireless headphones used with Equinox.

All the detectors used today bought personally by me, I have no connection currently with Xp or Minelab other than the fact I own equipment they manufacture. And have had no formal or semi formal connection with either in the past period.

Next comes the pics of each nonferrous targets found and compared. One ferrous target was located and dug using Equinox.
A clad dime will be placed in each pic with each nonferrous object to give the object scale.
I should remind folks yesterday when at the site I did dig nonferrous smaller, about the same size and a little big than a clad dime.
After I post what I am about to post,, I encourage all to go back re read want I posted yesterday as far as what I saw and heard using Equinox in this very same site.

The nonferrous targets located today, what I was really wanting was to find some targets that gave no dig me or tone when using single freq on Equinox (15khz. 20khz and 40khz).
I did find some, but some did sound off using some single freqs on Equinox. I will detail each nonferrous find as far as what exactly happened.
I wished I would have done comparisons yesterday on what I found using Equinox in this site. Would have been easier and less time consuming.

Here is pic of all targets. Rain moved in on me so this is what I got today.
A total of 7 nonferrous targets and one ferrous target.

Edited 11 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2018 09:49PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 50 hours field time/26 hours testing Update in Progress winking smiley
February 28, 2018 09:54PM
Here is pic of first nonferrous item located with Equinox.

Seems to be made of lead.
Equinox using multi freqs gave good signal.
Looking at the target before digging, use of 20khz and 40khz mandatory for good signal using singe freq ops.

Deus wearing 11" LF coil could see this target 18"kHz hot program 3 reactivity. After I saw this I ceased any further testing using any other Deus /coil combo for comparing.

Next item found with Equinox- a small button.

This item gave very good signal using Equinox using multi freq, sweeping using single freqs of 15, 20 and 40 kHz yielded nothing to alert me to button.

Deus using both 9" and 11" LF coils using highest freq band no detection. Tried all reactivity settings 2-5. Silencer was at -1 at all times. Checked using full tones 0 disc, disc level. 2 and disc level 6. Even tried pitch tone disc 6.

Deus wearing round HF coil checking button using 28.8khz and 54kh using hot program with reactivity settings of between 2-5, no signal, silencer at -1 at all times. Sens varied between 86-92.

Deus wearing elliptical HF coil, sweeping button using 28.8khz with reactivity levels between 2-5, no signal.
Sweeping button using 74khz a signal was acquired with reactivity level 3 only.

Next time located with Equinox- a small round button

This button gave very good signal on Equinox using multi freq. sweeping using 15kha, 20khz and 40khz yielded nothing tonally to alert me to button.
Using Deus both LF coils yielded nothing tonally alerting me to the button.
Used 18khz hot program reactivity levels 2-5. Silencer at -1 at all times. Even checked with TX power at level 1.

Deus wearing round HF coil.
The only detection I got was using 54khz reactivity levels 3 and 4.
Use of 28.8 kHz yielded nothing alerting me to button.

Deus wearing elliptical HF coil.
No signal,ever gotten using both 28.8 kHz or 74khz. Tried reactivity levels 2-5 silencer at both 0 and -1.

Next time found using Equinox- unsure of its composition.

This item gave good signal using Equinox, I could walk practically all the way around it sweeping getting a good signal-using multi freq.
Using single freq ops of 15khz, 20, and 40 kHz, use of 20 kh was borderline signal, use of 40khz a pretty good diggable signal.

I first swept this suspect area with Deus using 11" LF coil,
It did detect this object, but what was shocking was how narrow angular wise I could be around target and get a hit. Extremely narrow. Use of 9" LF coil did somewhat better than. 11" LF coil as far as a angular approach allowed to sweep and detect, but nowhere as good as the Equinox in Mulit freq.

I did check with round HF coil, a little better results (anguslr approach) vs 9" LF coil.
The elliptical coil HF I didn't use to check this target.

Here is pic of next item found with Equinox- round piece of lead.

This item gave a good signal with Equinox using multi freq.
Single freq ops sweeping using 15,20 and 40 kHz yielded nothing alerted me to piece of lead.

Both Deus LF coils failed to detect- used hot program only multiple settings.
Round HF coil failed to detect- used hot program.only using multiple settings.
HF elliptical did detect, but highest freq band had to be employed.

Next object found using Equinox- one of the little studs like on a saddle, checked with magnet totally nonferrous.

This object gave a good signal using Equinox and multi freq. use of single freq ops using 15, 20 and 40khz yielded nothing tonally alerting me to this target.

This object could never be detected using Deus any of the LF coils or any of the HF coils period. Hot program used, various settings and freqs tried.

This next pic last nonferrous object located using Equinox. May be part of 22 cal rim fire bullet.

This object gave good signal using Equinox using Mulit freq. Using single freq ops of 15,20 and 40khz yielded nothing to alert me to this object.

All Deus coils I had with me today failed to detect this object. Hot program used on all. Multiple settings and freqs tried.

The only ferrous I located (by accident) lol, it sounded pretty good with 13 in the meter.
Nail,was around 8.5" deep.

Checked using all Deus coils I have, none of them told me to dig this nail.

To conclude here.
If folks will notice there is a pattern. And remember yesterday all the nonferrous I dig out of this site, if I remember correctly, all signals had by Equinox yesterday using Multi freq all but 2 gave nothing tonally alerting me to the nonferrous targets when sweeping using 15, 20 and 40 kHz. So we will never know whixh Deus coil would have gotten signals on those when doing head to head. I can draw a conclusion and get close though I think based on what I Saw today.

Equinox is a very powerful detector (wide ranging) in its actual capabilities.
I hope folks enjoy this data and maybe it will help answer question for folks.
This here doing is work. Can be fun.
Nothing Inwant to do everyday though.
Cheers.

Edited 19 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2018 11:53PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 50 hours field time/26 hours testing Updated 2-28-2018
February 28, 2018 11:27PM
Correct me if I'm wrong or missed something but did you try any of these targets on the 4,8 or 12khz frequencies on the Deus?
March 01, 2018 12:31AM
shoveler Wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong or missed something but di
> d you try any of these targets on the 4,8 or 12khz
> frequencies on the Deus?

No I did not. I stated up front only highest freq baand would be used using LF coils to check targets.
This for good reason too.
Doing so would have been a complete waste of time.
March 01, 2018 01:13AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> shoveler Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Correct me if I'm wrong or missed something but
> di
> > d you try any of these targets on the 4,8 or 12k
> hz
> > frequencies on the Deus?
>
>
> No I did not. I stated up front only highest freq
> baand would be used using LF coils to check target
> s.
> This for good reason too.

Hmm , interesting assumption................
> Doing so would have been a complete waste of time.
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 50 hours field time/26 hours testing Updated 2-28-2018winking smiley
March 01, 2018 01:28AM
Folks who possess Nox 800 units.

Hunting parks
A strategy for you think about.

Don't use park detect mode rather use field 2 detect mode.
Speed 6 or 7 iron bias 2 or less.
Any target that hits and reads say 10 or less in meter using multi freq.
You can set your own parameter if you like.
Sweep this target using 15khz, 20khz and 40khz.
If you get no signal when do this, the target you are over stands a chance to have never been detecting before or at the very least it likely has been where it is a long time (not a fresh drop).
Could be find of a lifetime.
One way to discriminate.
Thought I would share.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2018 01:30AM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Equinox 800 report ( 50 hours field time/26 hours testing Updated 2-28-2018winking smiley
March 01, 2018 04:05AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Folks who possess Nox 800 units.
>
> Hunting parks
> A strategy for you think about.
>
> Don't use park detect mode rather use field 2 dete
> ct mode.
> Speed 6 or 7 iron bias 2 or less.
> Any target that hits and reads say 10 or less in m
> eter using multi freq.
> You can set your own parameter if you like.
> Sweep this target using 15khz, 20khz and 40khz.
> If you get no signal when do this, the target you
> are over stands a chance to have never been detect
> ing before or at the very least it likely has been
> where it is a long time (not a fresh drop).
> Could be find of a lifetime.
> One way to discriminate.
> Thought I would share.

Excellent write up tnss. I have the deus and this is very interesting!
I have the 800.. so use Field 2/Multi/ etc and dig everything at 10 or less?

Will iron be in this range (1-10) or Gold etc?

I’ll try it soon!

XP Deus
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
22 silvers, 2 silver rings, 1 Gold Ring -YTD 2018

Some of my random digs: [www.youtube.com]
March 01, 2018 04:18AM
Gannon Wrote:
> tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Folks who possess Nox 800 units.
> >
> > Hunting parks
> > A strategy for you think about.
> >
> > Don't use park detect mode rather use field 2 de
> te
> > ct mode.
> > Speed 6 or 7 iron bias 2 or less.
> > Any target that hits and reads say 10 or less in
> m
> > eter using multi freq.
> > You can set your own parameter if you like.
> > Sweep this target using 15khz, 20khz and 40khz.
> > If you get no signal when do this, the target yo
> u
> > are over stands a chance to have never been dete
> ct
> > ing before or at the very least it likely has be
> en
> > where it is a long time (not a fresh drop).
> > Could be find of a lifetime.
> > One way to discriminate.
> > Thought I would share.
>
> Excellent write up tnss. I have the deus and this
> is very interesting!
> I have the 800.. so use Field 2/Multi/ etc and dig
> everything at 10 or less?
>
> Will iron be in this range (1-10) or Gold etc?
>
> I’ll try it soon!

Actually you can set your own parameters as far as which ID targets to dig.
Bottom line, you strike a target using field 2 with low or 0 iron bias using Mulit tone, and then proceed to sweep using 15k, 20k and 40khz and the detector is quiet tonally, that nonferrous target might should be considered SPECIAL.
Meaning there is a strong chance a whole of of detectors and associated coils could sweep the target and get Notta. No guarantee.
Hunting in a public place that kind of info I think could be helpful where there are loads of units crawling around.
Lot of park hunters won't use small coils either lots of times. (Not that this guarantees they will detect what I am referring to using Nox)
Nox coil being 11" DD, don't underestimate what it can do in Multi freq.

The most shocking thing is just how clear the tones are even on evidently super challenged nonferrous objects.
Mind boggling.

A beginner detectorist dream come true-the Nox
.Even a dream come true for me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2018 04:22AM by tnsharpshooter.
Since I'm in the fourth quarter of my life ( hoping for overtime) I don't have time to check a target multiple ways .While relic hunting in Field 2 those low numbers have been non-ferrous trash. Great write up and I love your enthusiasm. Keep digging and posting. Time for my nap.thumbs down
March 01, 2018 12:08PM
woodchiphustler Wrote:
> Since I'm in the fourth quarter of my life ( hopin
> g for overtime) I don't have time to check a targe
> t multiple ways .While relic hunting in Field 2 th
> ose low numbers have been non-ferrous trash. Great
> write up and I love your enthusiasm. Keep digging
> and posting. Time for my nap.thumbs down

Well there were some good targets I dig (not junk) in this pic that ID in the 10-11 range. Actually every target in this pic ID in the 10-12 range except for one button, it ID in coin range.

Maybe Mr NASA-Tom could be so kind (if he still has his $1 gold coin) to tell us what it rings up on Equinox.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2018 12:11PM by tnsharpshooter.
I have dug three in 49 years. I hope someone does find one. It is quiet a thrill. Enjoy your posts.
Air testing my gold dollar in all programs at factory settings the numbers range from 10 to 12.
On my grandson's Go-Find 20 a solid repeat at 5 inches registering foil low coin.smileys with beer